LEAST favourite book? (1 Viewer)

glitter burns

the sky is falling
HSC
What's the worst book you've ever read?

I think for me it was probably "The Collecters"... it was about this grasshopper society that was supposed reflect humanity or something, but it was just boring, and lame.
There was even grasshopper sex scenes "He spread her delicate wings and she shuddered, etc etc".

I LOATHED it.

MiuMiu

Somethin' special....
HSC
Haha sounds tacky!

My LEAST favourite book was An Imaginary Life from English this year. Sooo boring!

Loz#1

"03'er"
HSC
Jane Eyre! Jane Eyre! I cannot deal with that Victorian oppression of women shit.

Kittycat

HSC
Arrrr....Jane Eyre *shudders* I was given the book as a birthday present. I read it & hated it (I hope the person who gave me the book doesn't read this post)

SmokedSalmon

HSC
Originally posted by Ms 12
Haha sounds tacky!

My LEAST favourite book was An Imaginary Life from English this year. Sooo boring!
Really? I found it very eye opening and interesting. A large difference to what I normally read actually. I swear I felt a lil tear coming up when I read the last page.

Originally posted by glitter burns
What's the worst book you've ever read
nothing comes to mind. I guess I manage to always choose or be given books that are anything but terrible.

hipsta_jess

Up the mighty red V
HSC
N/A
virtually every assigned english texts i have been forced to study over the past 6 years. i will admit, there have been a few good ones (thanks guys) but most of them have been lower than dodgy.

swangal

The Moonstone by wilkie collins ...our teacha gave it to use 4 ext eng to give us a backround on early crime fiction..it was absolutely beyond crap

spark

Well.. I haven't been able to get past the first page of Moby Dick or A Tale of Two Cities.

Gregor Samsa

That Guy
HSC
Originally posted by spark
Well.. I haven't been able to get past the first page of Moby Dick or A Tale of Two Cities.
So it was the worst of times?

Personally, I don't really have a single 'Least Favourite Book', but due to the trauma it caused, I'll give it to Shiloh. A bad book I read recently was 'The Evolution Explosion', which was filled with allegedly humourous, utterly horrible metaphors and similies.. Like the Enterprise....

fi_babezy

Stealing is Looking
HSC
OI, Jane Eyre ws a good book. I only wished that our modern writers showed such a passion for the collarboration of words.

Moby Dick, I read the first paragraph about turbulent seas and could go no further !
CONGRATULATIONS we have a winner...Moby Dick!

Last edited:

truly-in-bliss

my love is like woah!
HSC
Originally posted by Loz#1
Jane Eyre! Jane Eyre! I cannot deal with that Victorian oppression of women shit.
Originally posted by fi_babezy
OI, Jane Eyre ws a good book. I only wished that our modern writers showed such a passion for the collarboration of words.
in terms of literary techniquest, syntax etc jane eyre is not bad....but i think a lot of pplz dont lyk it cuz of the character herself.......she is bloody annoying....

fi_babezy

Stealing is Looking
HSC
lol, when i read it. I believe..argh this is stretching my mind...this was a fair while ago. It was easy to note, thenceforth after reading a biography on the bronte sisters and brother, to notice a presence of syntax errors in all their books..though what intrigues me most about all books from this era is the style of writing. The way words are strung together, like they are there to thread togethr some fine clothe..the emphasis was not so much on the storyline..because, for all purposes it would be easily written off today. The story was significant for women from the time, argh, though runs a conflict with ideologies today.

spin spin sugar

it's gotta be big
HSC
worst book EVER is something i read hoping it could be related material for extension 1 english (postmodernism) called Blood and guts in HighSchool Plus Two by Kathy Acker. it was FUCKED.. the LOWEST of the LOW of ALL 'literature', although it doesnt deserve that title and probably doesnt want it.. which is fine by me

Katgurl

Obviously none of you were forced to read The Red Badge of Courage!
It is the worst book of the millennium, our english teacher made us read it in about year 8-9, it was the worst book EVER!
Only about 2 or 3 people in the class actually bothered to read after the second chapter.
If you ever see a copy of that book, it must be burned before it steals the life force of anybody else...

Craig

there goes my hero
HSC
Catcher In The Rye by J.D Salinger would have to be the worst book Ive ever had to read. I came across it in year 10 and it was just so boring. It practically told the story of a smart-ass student who had all the brains in the world but couldnt be bothered applying himself. When you start reading it you think his going to change and become a really good student, however when you get to the end it just never happened.

glitter burns

the sky is falling
HSC
I've read Jane Eyre and didn't think it was THAT bad. A bit boring, but probably because it's not really relevant to us personally.

I didn't think much of Catcher in the Rye either. I can see why it was groundbreaking at the time but... nuh.

Although I still believe the Collecters was the worst.
Has anyone else read it?

Constip8edSkunk

Joga Bonito
HSC
i reckon most would hate a book they studied in school cuz all the disections, dismemberments and deconstructions done would've bashed any enjoyment out of it...

jogloran

I absolutely deplored Conrad's 'Heart of Darkness' when we had to read it last year for preliminary English Extension. I mean, I could see how it was good literature, but it was dense and meandering. Thank God it was only a novella...

Originally posted by Craig
Catcher In The Rye by J.D Salinger would have to be the worst book Ive ever had to read. I came across it in year 10 and it was just so boring. It practically told the story of a smart-ass student who had all the brains in the world but couldnt be bothered applying himself. When you start reading it you think his going to change and become a really good student, however when you get to the end it just never happened.
I wouldn't say so... they say that anticipation is often better than the real thing, and at the end of Catcher we see the beginnings of change (which we should all know volumes about by now), possibilities and all...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)