Learning to drive a manual (1 Viewer)

MiuMiu

Somethin' special....
HSC
For those who drive a manual car....how long did it take to perfect your take offs and hill starts?

Im not looking for show-offs, I want a realistic timeframe it takes before you were confident that you aren't going to stall at traffic lights!

HSC
without stalling at the lights- 1 week of solid 1st gear starts 1 hr per session
without the need for the handbrake on hill starts/parking- probably by the 4th week. by then youll probably know how many millimetres youre lifting your foot from the clutch and it be second nature to you

this is going by someone with a more natural ability in driving. hehe.

petar13

Tanzkommandant
HSC
N/A
If you spend around 5-6 hours a day (a weekend, or something), you should get both skills down pat in two days (three, tops). From then on, it's no biggie.

itsmeandy

HSC
took me a good 10 hours and ive got it now, read some internet sites on dirving manual and it will help you in your technique.

russs

yeeeee
HSC
Depending on the car you are trying to drive.

A recent (less than 10-year-old) car in good condition with a good clutch, you are good in a few days.

An older car (esp. with a small engine/bad synchros), it may take months and months to become accustomed.

skynet89

HSC
gonna sound arrogant but it only took mum about 30 minutes to teach me manual. i had a general gist of it before though. hillstart just came naturally with reaction timing but yeah i almost reversed into a car once. I probably did about 1 hr practice with hillstarts on my local street with an incline. the rest is just experience from driving to work etc

scarybunny

Rocket Queen
HSC
Yeah it took me maybe an hour or two of lessons with dad, but it's just a matter of practice. Take all the possible opportunities to drive the car, and you'll be manualling all over the place in no time.

My car's nearly 20 years old with a teeny engine but the clutch is in good condition. Plus I'm liek an awesome driver haha.

Serius

Beyond Godlike
HSC
take offs? about half an hour of proper, solid practise, we were in a quiet street and over and over i would take off, then stop and do it again.

Hill starts? i am not too sure, maybe a few days, 1 hour lessons each day. I live on a hill though, so every time i pulled out of the drive way was a hill start. At first dad did the hand break, but i remember confidently doing it myself not too long after.

Azamakumar

bannèd
HSC
lol I always stalled at lights etc. The only time anybody cares is when you do it in your test.

Steth0scope

HSC
N/A
lmao. Try stalling it in bankstown area. Everyone starts beeping at you / laughing at you / shouting at you from their cars. It is quite intimidating - but fun :)

Azamakumar

bannèd
HSC
markzada said:
lmao. Try stalling it in bankstown area. Everyone starts beeping at you / laughing at you / shouting at you from their cars. It is quite intimidating - but fun :)
Then full throttle start and launches.

icraig88

Can I Kick It?
HSC
markzada said:
haahha that sounds so true..

williamc

HSC
markzada said:
shh he forgot to mention it was an auto. Therefore no clutch. Therefore you lose! AND I WIN!

Ok shut up mark.
umm there is a clutch in a auto you idiot.

It just engages and disengages AUTOMATICALLY.

skynet89 said:
yeah and you picked it up in a minute? hardly burning just taking off

ermm you make no sense.

Evilo

HSC
jamiesmith91 said:
3-4 hours.
id say about that, i've done <1hr so far and i've mastered clutching, upshifting, and some down shifting. All i need to work on is low speed stuff, refersing and hill starts (i dont think will be too much of a problem).

Steth0scope

HSC
N/A
williamc said:
umm there is a clutch in a auto you idiot.

It just engages and disengages AUTOMATICALLY.
EDIT MY PREVIOUS POST TO REMOVE "CLUTCH" AND INCLUDE "CLUTCH PEDAL"....

NOW YOU'RE THE IDIOT!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)