Lear - requirements and other q's (1 Viewer)

little_red_fox

I think someone might have asked this earlier, but anyway...I've noticed a lot of the exemplar band 6 etc responses seem to write about their own productions in the questions even if they aren't asked specifically to do so eg "Two people who value your presdcribed text in different ways and for different reasons are having a conversation. Compose their conversation which shouldinclude consideration of the structure, staging, language and ideas of the text." So no matter what the question should we always express ideas about our 'reading' of the play even if it is not specifically asked for? Also, do ideas about textual integrity (i.e. in regards to particular readings) always have to come across?
If we are asked about our reading do we also have to give details about how this could be staged - or will they specifically say so? Just wondering becuse my reading seems to be more about what is already in the play as it is, and my production and staging ideas are more over the top, taking the ideas of my reading and also changing quite a lot of the play (i.e. instead of a kingdom there's a corporation, with ideas of corporate succession - the 'love test' takes place in a board room-like setting) to comment on contemporary society and relate to a contemporary audience. Also for my production should I be changing the original to this extent - much of the dialogue would remain the same in my production, but should I try to come up with a more subtle way of staging the play? Would appreciate your thoughts

some other quick questions...haven't read the play in a while, recently watched Brooke's production but some aspects were cut...So in the play:
1) do Goneril and Regan die before or after Edmund?
2) does Gloucester learn Edgar helped him, and are the two properly reunited?

Last edited:

ujuphleg

oo-joo-fleg
HSC
well its recommended that you always do your own reading, cos this demonstrates that you actually have an opinion about Lear yourself, not just some regurgitated crap that you've read from everyone else.

You should give examples of how it should be staged ie, lighting, costuming etc because that shows you understand how a stage play works. Any change in dialogue would be up to you -- if you are going a corporate reading, i would suggest a mixture - Baz Lurman Romeo + Juliet stylee. but thats my opinon.

Also, boardroom versions are done to death, so i wouldn't recommend it.

Goneril and Regan die before Edmund does.
Gloucester DOES learn that Edgar is Edgar.

DaRanjed

I've noticed that people who got high marks gave their opinions too...

Does that mean, for ANY question we get, that we should say stuff like "In this scene, Goneril should have...." or "The language in this scene could be..."

Like that?

If they ask for 2 productions, do we talk about TWO + our own?

jumb

mr jumb
HSC
That's because we have to CRITALLY analyse the texts.

DaRanjed

We should talk about OUR reading more than the ones we've learnt?
So they're just like a back-up of OUR analysis/reading of the play?

Vuki

HSC
Ok what the hell. I go to Fort Street so our education is meant to be good - so much for that.

The only thing we were told in relation to this is that we should impose our own opinion. I did this sporadically throughout and heaps in my conclusion in the trial and got 19/20. Up until now I had no intention of changing this, we have not been told in any way shape or form that we have to have our own 'reading' that needs to be discuss and analysed...

Not to mention you can't say in a formal essay; "i think that lear should not have treated his daughter so harshly....and my interpretation is ....."

Is anyone certain you have to have 'your own reading' or are they misinterpreting 'having your own opinion about the text'?

DaRanjed

Isn't your own reading and opinon the same thing?

You don't say stuff like "I think Lear should not have treated his daughters so harshly..."

You say stuff like "Goneril should spit her lines in this scene to emphasise the..."

Am I wrong or right?
Please help. lol I never do well in this module. :confused:

senso

Left BOS 11/04
HSC
N/A
DaRanjed said:
Isn't your own reading and opinon the same thing?

You don't say stuff like "I think Lear should not have treated his daughters so harshly..."

You say stuff like "Goneril should spit her lines in this scene to emphasise the..."
Yeah, your opinion is your interpretation. If you are going to include it you can say I and my, though try and blend it in a little bit better than just "I think ..."

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)