Leading Edge (1 Viewer)

Catwalk

HSC
has anyone here been to leading edge?

if so, how useful did you find it?

i'm deciding between either going to leading edge or getting a private economics tutor. which one would be better? price isn't an issue

Catwalk

HSC
yea i've read through quite a few threads but it still doesn't answer my question. i'm just wondering whether to go to leading edge or if i'd be better off getting a private eco tutor. i don't mind getting "ripped off" as the other threads seem to suggest about leading edge. i just want the best option.

Sarah168

London Calling
HSC
i havent been to leading edge but i'll judge it as a group tuition scenario and would suggest a good private eco tutor instead. Eco is content loaded and you need someone to go through YOUR weaknesses rather than something to cater for a group of kids.

Catwalk

HSC
Adimus said:
its shit, i did it for 2 terms, search my prior posts to see a more detailed response. an average tutor is better and i mean AVERAGE
didn't you find the RESOURCES helpful at all? you say the notes are shit but i've always heard they're really good??

Sarah168

London Calling
HSC
leading edge's resources are often excessively detailed with junk you don't need. My teacher bought notes from all their conference days and other materials and it was fairly useless.

Catwalk

HSC
how disappointing... especially when i've heard a lot good things about leading edge.

did you get tutoring for eco sarah168? i'm not doing too well in economics, that's why i think i need extra help.

Sarah168

London Calling
HSC
Catwalk said:
how disappointing... especially when i've heard a lot good things about leading edge.

did you get tutoring for eco sarah168? i'm not doing too well in economics, that's why i think i need extra help.
i went to a group tuition thingo at the beginning but it was useless so I quit. Other than that, i didnt get tutored. I had trouble finding a decent private eco tutor.

if you're struggling, i think a private tutor is the way to go.

btw, leading edge is overrated. Their textbook looks pretty but it's not all perfectly tailored to the HSC syllabus. I prefer Tim Riley's book. Having said that, the model answer series released by leading edge are a life saver, i admit.

nick1048

Mè çHöP ŸèW
The Mat®ix Ordinates: Sector 1-337- Statu
HSC
textbooks = buy them
additional notes - don't buy them all but get ur hands on some
tuition - didn't use it (my eco mark is 94)
excursions - useless (notes are good, presenters not so good)

other resources:
never used gittins, but he's a champ I've heard. Also check the news regularly for economic conditions. The Annual Budget - ESSENTIAL!!!

Sarah168

London Calling
HSC
gittens is entertaining enough but i don't think it's necessary to read him.

also, you don't need 5 textbooks by 5 different authors. Find one you like and stick to it.

Catwalk

HSC
Sarah168 said:
i went to a group tuition thingo at the beginning but it was useless so I quit. Other than that, i didnt get tutored. I had trouble finding a decent private eco tutor.

if you're struggling, i think a private tutor is the way to go.

btw, leading edge is overrated. Their textbook looks pretty but it's not all perfectly tailored to the HSC syllabus. I prefer Tim Riley's book. Having said that, the model answer series released by leading edge are a life saver, i admit.
i'm not struggling as such but i'm not at the top which is where i want to be. wouldn't a private tutor just give me exactly the same info as my teacher? i go to a very competitive (selective) school and i need to go somewhere that will give me that extra something.

Sarah168

London Calling
HSC
well, an "extra something" would be exam technique and tips and tricks i suppose. Perhaps, also a intuitive whole understanding of the course so that you can see how things fit together and how to link them in exam and assessment siutations. I don't really think anything beyond that is necessary. That sort of stuff can come from a recent top HSC eco student. Im assuming your teacher is probably sufficient in helping you cover content and theory.

sunjet

Hip-Hop Saved My Life
HSC
go to leading edge economics before trials or hsc, worth it.

Rafy

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad
I agree, as a one off thing it is very useful, especially their anaysis of current economic conditions etc.

Catwalk

HSC
Adimus said:
yes the resources they have there are shit as well. they have a bunch of books there u can use but they are all too detailed and some arnt really relevent i never used them.

it is not worth it at all trust me. if u need eco help go to your teacher or get a tutor, tho eco is something very hard to get a good tutor in, so i suggest just go to teacher and do extra essays and hand them in for marking
not worth what? the money or the time?

k8058

HSC
Hey Catwalk, if you want to be at the top of a competitive selective school i suggest that you integrate a lot of statistics and current affairs into your essays. It may also be worth your time to go outside the scope of the syllabus in some aspects of the course to really improve your essays.

In relation to your question about Leading Edge, i never went there for tutoring but i found some of their publications, particularly the monthly newspapers, very useful.

Catwalk

HSC
^^^ thanks for that.

you get up early. maybe i should follow your lead in that department as well...

felixcthecat

HSC
does anyone kno how leadingedge conducts their workshops? like.. is it just a classroom with a speaker talking for the whole session or is it like a discussion =Z

i quite like their publications including model exam answer series~ my school uses their textbook and workbook which are quite comprehensive.. but then again u don't need more than 1 textbook

iyamahobbit

Resident hobbit
HSC
Worshops are classroom + speaker.

Catwalk: with leading edge... if u don't mind forking out, i'd say go for it. Their stuff is very comprehensive, and cos they've got a whole team of ppl they have the time to put together the latest articles that are useful... which is great if ur lazy like i was.

Also, if u do have particular weaknesses, u can request private classes to get that explained (free if u sign up for their weekly pack).

If u don't wanna spare the time tho, go to their holiday workshops, the strategy one is quite good.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)