Lead Female Vocals in Bands (1 Viewer)

Riffy Raffy

BABY MAN
HSC
LaurenceBM said:
Karen O and that moron from the Grates are basically both ripping off Sioxsie Sioux, a far better female vocalist. Also PJ Harvey, Kim Deal (with Pixies, Amps or Breeders), Kim Gordon of Sonic Youth, Bjork, Portishead, Anita Lane (I mainly know her stuff with Bad Seeds members), Lydia Lunch (with artists such as the Swans, Foetus, etc and solo), Sandy Denny who was with Fairport Convention but is best known for singing on led Zep IV, Funkadelic (when they use female singers), Jarboe with the aforementioned Swans, Patti Smith, Nico with the VU (her solo stuff is sometimes painful)...the list goes on really.

Even Yoko Ono is sometimes good.
They are awesome too, but Kim Gordon sorta annoys me, and Bjork isn't really part of a band... And Yoko Ono sucks.

MBV singer, whoever she is, is good too, in a dreamy way.

Oh, and if we can diverge to non band singers, than Cat Power and Joanna Newsom have sweet voices too.

ALLLICE

HSC
Gilbert1 said:
No ones mentioned Courtney Love
LaurenceBM said:
There's a reason for that.
Hey, I like Courtney Love. Though perhaps her vocals are a little unconventional...but that's part of the appeal, for me anyway.

LaurenceBM

HSC
And Yoko Ono sucks.
What have you heard of hers?

Hey, I like Courtney Love. Though perhaps her vocals are a little unconventional...but that's part of the appeal, for me anyway.
See my list - its nothing to do with her being "unconventional" - I love that. Mainly its to do with her being *bad*.

ALLLICE

HSC
LaurenceBM said:
See my list - its nothing to do with her being "unconventional" - I love that. Mainly its to do with her being *bad*.
I didn't say you had to agree with me.

But I like Courtney Love's music. I think she just gets a lot of bad publicity, etc. and ppl jump on the Courtney bashing band wagon and overlook her music... in most instances anyhow.

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
Suzuki Yukiko - Bugy Craxone
Shiina Ringo - Tokyo Incident
Hashimoto Eriko - Chatmonchy
Stevie Nicks - Fleetwood Mac
Shirley Manson - Garbage
Bjork
Utada Hikaru

LEMONADERAYGUN

HSC
That chick from Sneaker Pimps was awesome. But the band is still good, now that she's left it.
Siouxsie Sioux from Siouxsie and the Banshees is pretty cool.
And I can't remember their names, but the singers in X-Ray Spex, The Slits and Bow Wow Wow.
Apart from that, the rest of my music collection is pretty much male-dominated (except for the chicks from Dandy Warhols and White Stripes).
On that note, can Meg White PLEASE never sing again?
Oh yeah....Chrissie Hynde :)
And Chrissie Amphlet....Joan Jett...

LEMONADERAYGUN

HSC
LaurenceBM said:
Ari Up is the woman from the Slits. She's great!
That's the one! I couldn't think of her name, which is odd, because it's not an easily forgettable name. Cheers

LEMONADERAYGUN

HSC
This definately doesn't count, but the lead singer of Tokio Hotel, Bill Kaulitz, sounds (and looks) almost exactly like a chick

Born2baplacebo

Get Behind Me Satan
HSC
zcb666 said:
You don't like the new vocalist? I like her even more.. but i never did like Tarja that much anyway =D

Nightwish is dead without Tarja. Without Tarja, Nightwish is just another generic gothic metal band. Tarja defined Nightwish with her voice.

mackman248

HSC
PJ harvey and Karen O are probably the most influential female singers in the music industry today. But yeh i think singers like kim Gordon and Kim Deal are pretty awesome and the way they have been so integral to 2 great alt rock bands in Sonic Youth and the Pixies. atm i cant stop listening to The Velvet Underground and Nico but im not sure if thats cos of nico or the VU. Reggine chassagne ( i think thats right) from arcade fire is also a good singer too and arcade fire are probably one of the top bands in the world atm. regina sepktor altho not in a band is a damn good singer and tori amos has been a great singer for years.

LaurenceBM

HSC
I think Nico works best with the VU, although she does have some great solo stuff - namely the live album with Eno, John Cale and Kevin Ayers, and her Cale-produced albums ("The End" is my favourite).

Tori is okay but she over-syllabyles things, if you get my meaning.

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
Never rated Nightwish, always was too entranced by Pay Lee (and now Quinn) from Seraphim.

killyridols

HSC
blegh i hate the grates. that whole cute girl music thing is so old now. i saw them live (i was at a festival and my friends wanted to see them) and the singer kept doing these weird hand movements like she was on playschool or something. it was totes annoying and really gimmicky in a bad way.
young and the restless also totally rip off that karen o/siouxsie sioux/le tigre/slits/whatever thing.

everryone has mentioned nico, but i like maureen tucker's vocals better (even though she doesn't sing on very many tracks). i still like nico though, but her voice is sometimes a bit too much on her solo stuff.
jennifer herrema from rtx is cool.

LaurenceBM

HSC
I think the problem with Mo Tucker is that she sings this really shitty little nursery rhyme thing on the third Velvets album. I don't know if she sings any other stuff on their later albums.

But she is good on The Murder Mystery, and I remember her solo live album is good if unremarkable.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)