Law????? (1 Viewer)

dp624

HSC
lyounamu said:
I am interested in this too. This is one of the career paths that I am thinking of.

I would probably go for Commerce/Law at USYD. It shouldn't be too hard.
Ah, so what happened to your accounting?
Lol yea, Com/Law isn't bad... only you'd meet like 20+ people from my school lawl

maiko

the maikoman
HSC
TunaFish said:
Yeah, it's 90.
Though if you receive a band 6 in Legal Studies, they'll award you 5 bonus UAI points. Hence you can get in with 85UAI minimum.

UoW also offers Law at 90.
UWS gives 5 bonus points to residents of the Greater Western Area and/or those who attend highschool in that same area (specific details of postcodes could be found here). Also, they have a Subject Bonus scheme where they give you 10 points if u get band 5/6 for Advanced English and/or Legal Studies.

However, they give a maximum of 10 points with the Regional and Subject bonus combined. (checking out their website would help u too). So really, u can still get in with a uai of 80 if you did well in adv eng or legal. Hope that helps.:spin:

Smithereens

HSC
Remember, UNSW doesn't offer any bonus points for Law nor does USyd. I think they do accept EAS, but to the range of about 1.2~

fareezuh

HSC
thankyou all soooo much for your time,

is there any scheme for usyd considering the lawyers from here have better prospects...
or so i have been told over and again

also what double degree could i do? (that is equivelent to "straight" law as in practise at a bar)

i am interested in buisness or comerce like namu but am preety sure the UAI is up there for me

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
dp624 said:
Lol yea, Com/Law isn't bad... only you'd meet like 20+ people from my school lawl
It's one of the career paths that I am thinking of. :p

trevolution2518

HSC
Ok, to cut through most of the pointless banter contained in this thread, this is how Law schools work in NSW. And before anyone starts on whether I am qualified to answer this question, yes I am, I'm in my second year of Law @ UOW and work in lobbying law schools, the legal profession, firms and other associated bodies in higher education policy and other matters affecting students. So to answer your question straight

In NSW and the ACT there are 9 law schools, they are (UAI Cut off's in Bold):
  • UOW: 90
  • UWS: 90
  • USYD: 99.9* (Fluctuates depending on the year)
  • UNSW: 99.30
  • MacU: 98.45
  • UNEW: 90
  • UNE: 83
  • ANU: 95
  • UCan: 90
UOW and UWS offer a local and marks based UAI boosters (that is if you're from the local area, or you do well at a law related subject at school you get additional UAI points).

UOW and UNE offer early entry schemes, UOW's is very rigorous and requires you to sit a test at the uni, and subsequently if you get the mark you're in. UNE is trials based and if you send off your trials results, along with a letter from the principle, they will consider you on those merits. This has been rather easy to get into in the past, due to a lack of interest from City students and due to the problems that UNE has been having recently.

ANU offers a post HSC results test in which you sit a test much like UOW's but harder again, from all accounts unless you score 1 uai point under it is immensely difficult to get into.

UCan or UNEW don't offer any scheme that I know of, but have a look see.

USyd, UNSW and MacU get the uai, you get in, unless you can get daddy (who must be an alumni) to ring his friends to get you in, put it as a preference, but don't hold your breath, you and everyone else will be wanting to go there.

Finally, keep the preferences there if you don't make the grade, hell they might still take you, there is always the story of the student who was under the UAI cut off and got in, so who knows it could be you.

Good luck with it, hit the books hard and you won't have to worry about your UAI, the moment you walk into your new law faculty, they won't give a shit about your UAI anyway.

Hope this helps

Last edited:

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
Hm...are you sure? USYD's cut-off for Combined Law hasn't even got close to 99.6+ area in the last few years or so. 99.90 certainly looks too high (and if that's the case, I will find it a bit difficult to get in). On top of that, UAI cut-off for Macquarie seems too high as well. The last time I checked it was more like in the 95-96 range.

BTW, what happened to UTS? I thought UTS has a Law School as well.

Originally Posted by James Cos
see you in 2010 maybe

I sure will. ^.^

Last edited:

peter2

Banned
HSC
Seriously, can you stop being such a fucking show off. ooohhh if 99.90 is the case, i will find it a BIT difficult to get in. Seriously, what is your problem. Stop acting like you have obtained a UAI of 99.95 or 100 or whatever. You still have a whole year left. You bomb one assessment, there goes your chance of anything over 99. So please. STOP BEING A SHOW OFF AND ACTING LIKE YOUR THE SMARTEST KID OUT BECAUSE YOUR NOT!

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
peter2 said:
Seriously, can you stop being such a fucking show off. ooohhh if 99.90 is the case, i will find it a BIT difficult to get in. Seriously, what is your problem. Stop acting like you have obtained a UAI of 99.95 or 100 or whatever. You still have a whole year left. You bomb one assessment, there goes your chance of anything over 99. So please. STOP BEING A SHOW OFF AND ACTING LIKE YOUR THE SMARTEST KID OUT BECAUSE YOUR NOT!
What is your problem?

Your point has no basis and you are not talking sensibly.

Troll at its worst.

dp624

HSC
peter2 said:
lol

lolcal

buy my notes
HSC
N/A
fuck law, open a pakistani restaurant. you'll be the only one in the neighbourhood, you're guaranteed success!!

peter2

Banned
HSC
lolcal said:
fuck law, open a pakistani restaurant. you'll be the only one in the neighbourhood, you're guaranteed success!!
So true. So many stupid loser kids want to do law these days.

gibbo153

buff member
HSC
N/A
dp624 said:
lol yeah.

hey dp where are most of your classmates going next year?

gibbo153

buff member
HSC
N/A
peter2 said:
he just came first in hsc mathematics and he did it a year early.

he is the smartest kid.

he will get that UAI

he wins

you can take this up with lyonamou later when he is the CEO of the company where you clean the toilets

peter2

Banned
HSC
gibbo153 said:
he just came first in hsc mathematics and he did it a year early.

he is the smartest kid.

he will get that UAI

he wins

you can take this up with lyonamou later when he is the CEO of the company where you clean the toilets
LOL you are a moron. Ok, well I hope he proves me wrong and obtains 100 UAI. Btw you should mind your own business in the future and don't stick your stupid head into discussions that are not relevant to you.

gibbo153

buff member
HSC
N/A
peter2 said:
LOL you are a moron. Ok, well I hope he proves me wrong and obtains 100 UAI. Btw you should mind your own business in the future and don't stick your stupid head into discussions that are not relevant to you.
hahahhahahha

your a douchebag. this coming from you, the person who without provocation started bitching at someone just for saying what course they were hoping to get into.

maybe you should practise what your preach there you inarticulate tool

peter2

Banned
HSC
gibbo153 said:
hahahhahahha

your a douchebag. this coming from you, the person who without provocation started bitching at someone just for saying what course they were hoping to get into.

maybe you should practise what your preach there you inarticulate tool
HAHAHA HAHAHAH NO. God you're a stupid little kid. Do you have a life other than posting 700-800 posts. Piece of shit. Have fun killling your life for year 12 trying to get a Good UAI lol when most likely you'll get a shit score. Moron!!! PEACE OUT IM OUTTA HERE! No more replies to little piece of shits like yourself. Got a problem, Private msg me =D

lionking1191

HSC
fareezuh said:
is there any scheme for usyd considering the lawyers from here have better prospects...
or so i have been told over and again
UNSW's is pretty much as good, and they scored a higher graduate starting salary than USYD in 08. i'm saying this because there are easier pathways in the form of a newly-introduced 'internal transfer' program. basically if you get 97+ you only need a WAM of 70 to get into law which isn't very hard; or 95+ for 75 WAM in your undergrad degree.

trevolution2518 said:
what? USYD law hasn't been higher than 99.6 for the past 8 years or so. for MQ there are a number of combined programs which has cut-offs which vary from 95.xx to 98.xx.

edit: lol you left out of UTS.. (~97 cutoff)

Last edited:

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
lionking1191 said:
UNSW's is pretty much as good, and they scored a higher graduate starting salary than USYD in 08. i'm saying this because there are easier pathways in the form of a newly-introduced 'internal transfer' program. basically if you get 97+ you only need a WAM of 70 to get into law which isn't very hard; or 95+ for 75 WAM in your undergrad degree.
Yeah, I saw that one too. UNSW suggested that their law program is better but of course, all universities would do that.

About the other highlighted part, does that apply to USYD or it is just UNSW?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)