Law????? (1 Viewer)

fareezuh

HSC
hi

i am interested in doing law from Usyd but i realise the UAI is like 97+ and i am not doing so welll even teh subjects i was coming second in my rank has dropped i feel unmotivated, disappointed in myself and tired... but i still want to do law do you think it's possible?
my subjects
advanced english
ext1 eng
ext2 eng
2u maths
bio
chem
studies of religion 2U
legal studies
according to standard SAM my UAI will be 68.5
all i want is to go back and fix Pakistan the country where i was born and get rid of the terrorists, the corruption and the poverty. am i being too ambitious? because ghandi said "you must be the chnage you wish to view in the world"
s

eliseliselise

HSC
well i think you should keep your options open, i believe that newcastle uni accepts students with a UAI of circa 89/90 into combined law, and perhaps other unis are even lower..

:santa:

but its up to you to take control of your destiny- from the subjects you have listed, and at this point in time you CAN make the difference, dont let ur future be held in the feeble hands of fate- open your books, study hard and you can get that uai to do law!!

& no i don't necessarily believe that you are being too ambitious because, as they say, 'its the ones who are crazy enough to think that they can change the world- who are the ones that do.'

oh & btw word on the street is that its quite common to be feeling unmotivated/disappointed/tired/exhausted at this time of year ;). use these holidays to rejuvenate, revitalise and re-focus on your future!! the power is yours!

i personally have an interest in law, but wouldn't necessarily pursue it :)

good luck!!

:read:

kaz1

et tu
HSC
Uni Grad
I think you can also do Law at UTS, it would probably have a lower UAI cutoff than USYD.

btw I fucking hate Pakistan almost as much as I hate Israel. In my opinion Pakistan is pretty screwed.

Sayangliss

HSC
Pretty sure Macquarie uni also offers law. No idea what the UAI cut off is though (certain it'd be lower then other unis)

zzzz12345

HSC
Though I do make the point now that cut-offs will vary from year to year the general cut-offs for law (combined law in most of the universities) are:
USYD: 99.55
UNSW: 99.3
Macquarie: 96 (or so)
UTS: 97 (or so)
UWS: 90 (Last time I looked but I'm not exactly sure)
ANU does straight law and has a cut-off of around 95.
I desperately want to do law at USYD as I've always been fascinated with the operations and logistics of the legal system and I believe that having a strong legal education is a good foundation for being a well-educated citizen. In regards to your goal, though I would say that it may be a tad ambitious the most important thing is to have a goal to motivate you when you feel depressed or start questioning yourself. I've wanted to do law since I was six years old and I think that's what has kept me working hard. Most importantly remember that even if you don't get the 99.xx or 90.xx that many universities require it is by no means the end of your dreams. Try researching possibilities for bonus points (I know UWS has a few schemes), consider graduate law or later try transferring from another faculty. But remember that in most cases you still have around 90% of your assessment mark along with your actual HSC before you get your UAI. It is by no means too late and if you keep yourself focused on your goal and study effectively there is every possibility that you will get your required UAI. Enjoy the holidays, regain your motivation and good luck.

mudcake42

HSC
Guys with law just keep your options open. Don't set yourself onto the one and only course because it'll put too much stress on you. And a UAI of 99.55, 99.3 and even 97.2 is unrealistic for many people. Well most people. Just remember to achieve the best and highest UAI you can because it can help when you transfer etc.

Also for those about ANU law, it is one of the most recognised and best law schools in the country. If you come out with a law degree from ANU, then you are at the same level (or even better) then sydney students. The only reason why the UAI is lower is because of the location but if it was in sydney then it would extremely high.

fareezuh

HSC
Thankyou all so much!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I feel a tad bit better.

Ali -

HSC
N/A
Hi Fareezuh.

Just ensure that you do your best, and 'if' you are not able to gain entry into a law degree, there is always the possibility of transferring if you achieve good marks 75+ average in your first year at uni in any course.

Re: your ambition. It is a noble one. Wish you every success in that goal. Do remember that there are many forces and actors inside and out of any country that greatly influence the geo-political enivornments of the globe.

Powerful nations strive hard via various networks to maintain the current "status quo" where they run the plays and enjoy the majority of resources. When persons/countries threaten to instil a "game changer" into the works, well, I think we all know what occurs then.

But all the best. You 'intention' is what matters.

Ali -

HSC
N/A
kaz1 said:
btw I fucking hate Pakistan almost as much as I hate Israel. In my opinion Pakistan is pretty screwed.
Hi Kaz. I'm not from Pakistan or Israel and am also saddened by the plights of such nations and the effects they have on other populations.

But I submit to you that maybe you should consider 'how' they became that way and what other foreign nations benefit from the current political climate. Not only are their overt forces, there are 'covert' ones operating every day.

TunaFish

HSC
zzzz12345 said:
Though I do make the point now that cut-offs will vary from year to year the general cut-offs for law (combined law in most of the universities) are:
USYD: 99.55
UNSW: 99.3
Macquarie: 96 (or so)
UTS: 97 (or so)
UWS: 90 (Last time I looked but I'm not exactly sure)
ANU does straight law and has a cut-off of around 95.
Yeah, it's 90.
Though if you receive a band 6 in Legal Studies, they'll award you 5 bonus UAI points. Hence you can get in with 85UAI minimum.

UoW also offers Law at 90.

gibbo153

buff member
HSC
N/A
TunaFish said:
Yeah, it's 90.
Though if you receive a band 6 in Legal Studies, they'll award you 5 bonus UAI points. Hence you can get in with 85UAI minimum.

UoW also offers Law at 90.
UoW also has various bonus point schemes. My school does have a partnership sort of thing with UoW but i'm sure it could apply to others in that doing legal studies can be a 3 (possibly more) point bonus for studying law.

MichaelJackson2

Moonwalker
HSC
fareezuh said:
because ghandi said "you must be the chnage you wish to view in the world"
s
as was said by michael jackson (me) in the song "man in the mirror". :)

bearbuzzy

HSC
just work hard and you should be fine. you have the right subjects so im pretty sure if you work hard you should get a higher UAI

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
I am interested in this too. This is one of the career paths that I am thinking of.

I would probably go for Commerce/Law at USYD. It shouldn't be too hard.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)