Law @ Macq (1 Viewer)

ND

HSC
Originally posted by GoodToGo
Pretty much all unis scale their marks. So you'll always get more students getting passes and credits than D's and HD's.

Internal transfers into law at Usyd and UNSW are very hard (the unis tell u this themselves)...and for the few students who get into law, there are many many more who miss out.
Yep i understand that they're distributed on a bell curve, but there are alot of students that are satisfyed with a P/Cr, and so work accordingly. The result is that hard work is rewarded with D's and HD's.

iambored

dum-di-dum
HSC
Originally posted by MrA
Why do i get the impression (from other threads, etc) that law @ MACQ is inferior compared to the other uni's???
u have to do a double degree with law at mac

Lainee

HSC
Originally posted by iambored
u have to do a double degree with law at mac
Oh Mac, if only it wasn't so bad at everything else besides Actuarials (and easy transfers! whhee!) the world would be a much less stressed out place.

GoodToGo

HSC
N/A
Hehe, what's Mac bad at? Really, I'd luv for you to enlighten me..

Certainly not the lawschool. It's a young, pioneering law school. Law is taught differently at Macq, no doubt about it, something the law school is proud of. It is certainly looked on more favourably by the Bar and many of the BIG firms than other law schools with slightly higher cut-offs (no need for names).

Last edited:

GoodToGo

HSC
N/A
What? And you can do just law at usyd or unsw in undergrad?

Lainee

HSC
Nyah, undergraduate law is combined law irrespective. You can do postgrad law, but it's well... post-grad. :)

Lainee

HSC
Originally posted by GoodToGo
Hehe, what's Mac bad at? Really, I'd luv for you to enlighten me..

Certainly not the lawschool. It's a young, pioneering law school. Law is taught differently at Macq, no doubt about it, something the law school is proud of. It is certainly looked on more favourably by the Bar and many of the BIG firms than other law schools with slightly higher cut-offs (no need for names).
LOL, like I've tried to explain in other threads. All this talk about how 'good' or 'bad' one uni is compared to another is highly subjective. :) In one ear, I'm hearing students at Macq telling me how crap law is there, while in the other ear, I've heard the opposite. Frankly, I'm just spinning around in circles here.

In a perfect world, the shiny booklets the uni print would say things like 'We really ought to tell you this: our law faculty is really not as good as others. We recommend you stay clear of it.' instead of throwing around words like 'innovative' and 'interactive' which doesn't really tell you anything!

Do your research and find out what kind of course and what kind of uni fits YOU. Look at different aspects of what each has to offer and weigh them up! It's pretty pathetic (not referring to anybody here!) to rely on one-sided views - because in the end, you're going to be the one coughing up the money to pay for your education and you're the one whose going to live through years of it!

GoodToGo

HSC
N/A
That is so in the realm of fantasy...you're a dreamer, but you're not the only one :)

I can only speak from my own persepective...cos I've never taken classes at any other uni.

I don't think anyone is seriously gonna rely on the reccomendations of one person and the PR sprouted from one uni. But it's good to hear from as many perspectives as possible to 'weigh things up' as you mentioned.

AND...if you seriously think actuarial is the only thing Mac does well...LOL...then you must be smoking crack (and you really should share with everyone).

Last edited:

GoodToGo

HSC
N/A
It'd be a big call to pass up combined law UNSW or USyd for Macq (even with the scholarship Macq guarantee)...but I'm constantly surprised by how many there are every year.

People who pass up UTS for Mac law are countless.

Last edited:

GoodToGo

HSC
N/A
Originally posted by ND
The result is that hard work is rewarded with D's and HD's.
Again, in an ideal world the hardest working students should get the high marks...not always the case with the HSC, nor at uni.

Though the statistics show a postive correlation between the amount of time studied and marks...there are always outliers. (Gotta luv the club mac forcing nearly everyone to take statistics ...not).

Macquarie transfers on a quota as well...and gettin tougher every year.

Ultimate

Unknown
HSC
Originally posted by ND
But apparently usyd gives out D's and HD's like they're nothing. I mean, there's a post in the usyd forum by a guy who's doing econ and got 4HD's and 4 D's with only like 1 hr of study a night.
That is completely false. In fact for Accounting 1 B at Usyd only 0.78% of students got a HD, and the next 7% got D's out of a canditure of 750. It is extremely hard to get a HD in commerce subjects at Usyd, even a D because so little of them are given out and there is a very high level of competition.

Usyd hands out grades exactly like any other uni, and if u think that u can do only 1 hr of study a night and pull off HD's u will get a huge shock once u start uni and exams come round.

That guy who posted in the Usyd forum is just talking rubbish. Anyone who has experienced uni would agree that it is extremely hard to get a HD in any subject and it takes a lot of hours of work and commitment. The same goes for getting a D.

flyin'

EDIT
HSC
N/A
Ultimate is right; I doubt anyone can cram for an hour and get a HD.

Ultimate, you're given statistics about your grades?! We at MQ aren't.

ND

HSC
Originally posted by Ultimate
That is completely false. In fact for Accounting 1 B at Usyd only 0.78% of students got a HD, and the next 7% got D's out of a canditure of 750. It is extremely hard to get a HD in commerce subjects at Usyd, even a D because so little of them are given out and there is a very high level of competition.

Usyd hands out grades exactly like any other uni, and if u think that u can do only 1 hr of study a night and pull off HD's u will get a huge shock once u start uni and exams come round.

That guy who posted in the Usyd forum is just talking rubbish. Anyone who has experienced uni would agree that it is extremely hard to get a HD in any subject and it takes a lot of hours of work and commitment. The same goes for getting a D.

Hmmm wow those percentages are really low.

GoodToGo

HSC
N/A
Yeah...but it is accounting after all.

Dammit...I want a HD! :)

Katgurl

The impresion that i have always been given of the Law at USYD or Law at MQ, is that you go to Syd to get the traditional rote learning degree and where you go to meet contacts for your further career, MQ being a younger uni is generally more inovative and likely to look at newer trends, it is not as "prestigious" but it is generally well regarded + if you want to study arts, MQ is way better than Sydney in that field for flexibility and reputation.

GoodToGo

HSC
N/A
Yeah Mac is the bomb for Arts. Usyd is good, UNSW isn't all that serious about arts, UTS doesn't really have arts.

monzi

HSC
Omg tooffffff USYD is 99.6 for law if u go in full fee paying student its 99.4 but who has 17 000 in fees for 5 yrs? i sure dont! Uni sux only benefits the rich..

and UNSW is 94.3 if u have the money to pay for it!

GO MACQUARIE id love to do psychology/law there or arts/law

flyin'

EDIT
HSC
N/A
From memory, if you pay, it was 98.15 to go to USyd.

HSC
goodtogo for arts right can u do some biz n psych subjects??
i NO u cant do law...

GoodToGo

HSC
N/A
No psych dude.

You can do about a semester's worth of business subjects...I've outlined the units in the other post.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)