Law/International Studies (1 Viewer)

sugared plum

HSC
I was just wondering if anyone who does this degree/knows people who do it could PM me - I have always been really keen on law at unsw, but favour int. stud because i recently heard that arts/law gives you limited choices in arts subjects??

So yeah , am after stuff that those glossy booklets DON'T tell me. ahaha

sugared plum

HSC
really??

Ok, so if I wanted to be a

a)judge,
b) work for UN or other NGO in aid or whatever
c) literary agent
d) academic
e) barrister (not solicitor)

what course would you recommend at what uni?

sugared plum

HSC
ahaha i am white, female and jewish.
and this mornign i decided i might be a lesbian, and i doubt that will help the situation

thakn you.
I was just speaking to a friend and his sister did economics/law at usyd, and is now working on exchange in ny which sounds so cool.

so if i wanted to get into this UN thing, i should do arts/law at unsw and major in the political theory things??
I was reading on the UN website and they like people to be fluent in another language...and love that globalisation sort of stuff. hmmm

this boy was sayign i do economics [social science]/law at usyd cause that is really good for the political theory, and then usyd wiht their o/s contacts. WHAT TO DO

sugared plum

HSC
ok i have narrowed it down to int stu/law at either uts or unsw.

i'll just go to the open days, and then decide.

however, uts is already on a point up because it's walking distance from my house.
BUT, my friend lives in randwick, and i could share and not have to pay rent (bonus), or move back to where i was living at the beginning of the year which is close to unsw (but very stressful place to live and am not very keen on it).

i really like where i live at the moment and don't really want to move, but it's an hour bus ride which would really suck.

ilovemrchips

hey sugared plum, i'm in the same boat here

but i only got 99.25 so i think unsw is a longshot

for the wise people:

1. Is uts better or unsw for international studies/law?
I've heard uts has the best int studies but what's the law like?

2. What does unsw do in the extra year of the degree? uts is
5years and unsw 6. Both have years abroad, but i'm sure
unsw wouldn't just stuff around for a year. what else do they
teach you?

cheers

rukawasan

Top Stuff
HSC
ilovemrchips... uts takes actually 4 n half yrs if i rmb correctly... uts has more vocational training... more practical
but on the other hand... u cant deny theres a step down from usyd/unsw to uts...

sugared plum

HSC
yeah that is so true.

i spoke to this family friend yesterday who works at malleson, stephens , jacques and she said that they hadn't taken any clerks from uts in the last few years...

and she said if she had her u/g years again, she'd TOTALLY go to unsw again.

so yeah, my mind is made up.

Tenax Propositi

there's just no oxygen
HSC
Originally posted by sugared plum
yeah that is so true.

i spoke to this family friend yesterday who works at malleson, stephens , jacques and she said that they hadn't taken any clerks from uts in the last few years...

I'm sorry sugared plum, but that is total BS.

Perhaps the quality of those who applied to work at the firm was not up to scratch. And PERHAPS it was their personal characteristics that did not appeal to the employers. It is very narrowminded to boil it all down to the university from which they came.

sugared plum

HSC
so what, you don't think that law at uts is a step down from the standard at new south?

i don't think it's a bad uni at all - believe me i have really considered it, but chose new south in the end (and i could choose to do law where ever i wanted) because of the quality of legal education new south offers.

ameh

dirty trick
HSC
N/A
i want to do int. studies combined with law so i can work for the UN, might be realistic but the UAI? 99.25? I thought it was 99.95 like one course in Macq. Uni...

pigs_can_fly

earth girls aren't easy
HSC
Originally posted by sugared plum
yeah that is so true.

oooooh, mallesons...nice :p

spin spin sugar

it's gotta be big
HSC
jeez you guys, youre talking as if UTS is UWS.... please be realistic

i have to admit though if i actually wanted to practise commercial law i would be killing myself to get into UNSW... but thats not something i want to do

Loulou

I'm looking at doing arts (majoring in international relations)/law at ANU because i'd like to work as a diplomat with DFAT.

So there's another option you could consider, sugared plum, as opposed to working for the UN.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)