law cut-off (1 Viewer)

wrong_turn

the chosen one
HSC
Uni Grad
i read that if you are marginally under the 95 cut-off you can still get in. how does this work? i know about the leter of application of motivationing answer. but how much is marginally below the cut-off? 1, 2 5, 10 uai points?

also, what is the likely result that people will get in by this application. is there like some quota?

how can you improve your chances besides doing well in enlglish? and in terms of doing well in english to be placed in better preference, what sort of hsc mark are they looking for???

thanks for your info, cheers

neo o

it's coming to me...
HSC
wrong_turn said:
i read that if you are marginally under the 95 cut-off you can still get in. how does this work? i know about the leter of application of motivationing answer. but how much is marginally below the cut-off? 1, 2 5, 10 uai points?

also, what is the likely result that people will get in by this application. is there like some quota?

how can you improve your chances besides doing well in enlglish? and in terms of doing well in english to be placed in better preference, what sort of hsc mark are they looking for???

thanks for your info, cheers
There are two ways that you can get into ANU law with a mark below the cut-off.

1) EAS - The ANU (unlike other universities) will simply increase your UAI by 5 points if they accept your EAS application. So, assuming that the cut-off doesn't go up (which it may) you could get into law at ANU with a UAI of 90.

2) I'm not sure exactly how the letter works. It would make sense if they raised your score by 5 points, like with EAS though I don't know either way. I doubt that they really consider your English mark (even though they say that they do in the UAC guide). Just make sure that you write a great letter!

Or better yet, get over 96 :)

wrong_turn

the chosen one
HSC
Uni Grad
well i will tell them the truth. :) the truth is that i use my studies as my motivation and i look at the degree for law to make myself continue.

im stuffed arent i? :( im not sure anymore whether i will get over 90 as a uai :|

Iron

Ecclesiastical Die-Hard
HSC
The letter didnt work this year. All letter people got similar letters saying that the positions had been filled - or words to that effect. EAS would be best bet.

loquasagacious

NCAP Mooderator
HSC
The demand is so high and places so limited that a letter simply doesn't cut it. For say IT a letter + did maths for HSC will get you in 10 points under.

If you aren't eligible for EAS and won't get over at least 96 then seriously consider other unis or degrees with a lower cut-off. Bear in mind though that if your ultimate goal is law at the anu then you will have to bust your arse to get a high enough GPA to get in (more info in this in the transfers section).

Oh and as a note a face to face interview would be slightly more effective than a letter. (though still unlikley to cut it).

omg_a

HSC
I remember reading that in the UAC guide under alternative entries. I think you have to send the letter after the UAIs but before jan 4th or something. high marks in english help. any particular reasons why you are motivated to study law. it is a legitimate path, interviews are not, HOWEVER, it does depend on demand and this year there was such a high demand that they told us they were unable to make any offers to people whose marks fell below 95. also, marginally, i would suggest no more than 2 UAI points. that's a guess though. And don't assume you will qualify for EAS, it is only for people who have had long-term educational disadvantages.

so i guess try and get over 95, or try to transfer after first year.

wrong_turn

the chosen one
HSC
Uni Grad
thaks guys! :)

but unfotunately my uai will definately fall under 95, and probaly under 90 as well. so i will look at other options :)

Lennie

wrong_turn said:

but unfotunately my uai will definately fall under 95, and probaly under 90 as well. so i will look at other options :)

Dont think like that.
Even this late in the piece its possible to get 95.
If law is really what you want to do, just focus :)

paper cup

pamplemousse
HSC
wrong_turn said:

come leslie, you're coming to canberra with me so we can schmooze and attack people with baseball bats.
ACCESS is your best bet and anyway if your misadventure appeal is successful...

wrong_turn

the chosen one
HSC
Uni Grad
my bet that it is successful. but it will only be for maths 2u and 3u, but that would only be for that test, though it was more damaging than just the one test.

i jut had a look at misaadventure, so what will that do for me?? what would be the point of my misadventure in detail?

loquasagacious

NCAP Mooderator
HSC
A misadventure form for an exam can mean that if your exam mark is lower than your assesment mark then they will count assessment+assesment for uai. Hence a higher UAI is possible and an off day doesnt ruin your life....

Iron

Ecclesiastical Die-Hard
HSC
You might get lucky. I resigned myself to about an 80 something, but ended up with dumb luck.
Yay for falling through the cracks.

wrong_turn

the chosen one
HSC
Uni Grad
but this was an in-class assessment? would it be that much a difference?!

omg_a

HSC
misadventure is only used when there is a problem on the actual day of the exam-illness, emergency whatever. i'm not sure about how it applies to school assessments. the effet of a successful misadventure claim is variable-depending on how much your performance varies compared to your assessment marks-just a couple of marks may only affect your uai by .05, but if it is a lot of marks in say your english exam, that could make a significant difference to your uai, 3-4 uai points.

i have a feeling for in-class, they are meant to offer you a replacement test or alternative date, rather than adjust your marks. not sure though.

santaslayer

HSC
Some universities may publish an exaggerated cut off, so people under such a cutoff may still get in.

wrong_turn

the chosen one
HSC
Uni Grad
i got the misadventure appeal upheld. they said that it will still be counted but if it affects my marks dramatically in comparison to my other marks, then they will be scaled so that it is evenly comprised to my other assessment marks, which were much higher. :)

paper cup

pamplemousse
HSC
santaslayer said:
Some universities may publish an exaggerated cut off, so people under such a cutoff may still get in.
so many people under the cutoff get in at ANU.

neo o

it's coming to me...
HSC
santaslayer said:
Every uni accepts EAS, and they are pretty much the only people that the uni lets in with a lower UAI.

Ziff

HSC
N/A
The majority of ANU kids doing law that I know of have UAI/ENTER/TERs in excess of 98.00.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)