Law Courses (1 Viewer)

Jago

el oh el donkaments
HSC
Sup uni dudes and dudettes, I was just wondering if you could would compare/contrast what the courses are like for UNSW, USYD and UTS? Like overall, good lecturers? friendly people? *cough*hotasiangirls*cough* What's campus like? do law students really get drunk and party like crazy?(this is what i've been lead to believe). Yep you can all tell me to use the search button now. Go on, it'll make you feel better.

Jago

el oh el donkaments
HSC
oh and what's it like throughout the course, fierce competition? or are people easy going?

neo o

it's coming to me...
HSC
Jago said:
*cough*hotasiangirls*cough*
I've always been under the impression that that's rather important, and asqy tib's topic doesn't seem to go into that :rolleyes: .

But meh, all campuses have asians no?

neo o

it's coming to me...
HSC
Incorrect, only an intoxicated girl would consider going out with me :p

Besides, there's no reason to choose a uni based on the people that go there, but there are always perks :cool:

and perks are good.

santaslayer

HSC
All Law courses essentially teach the same core content. The only difference arises from the availability of electives which is not until 4th year anyway. Some of the core subjects every law student does inculde contract, criminal, evidence etc type of law.

Some things which may be compared include course structure and teaching techniques. All law schools are striving to reform their teaching techniques at the moment. (some ahead of others). :p

The biggest thing available for comparison is reputation and connections and even that is gradually changing. You should pick the law school which best suits you as an individual, although the UAI might dictate a large extent of your choice. :p

EDIT: some other factors which may also influence your choice include racial/sex ratio, the Uni's aesthetics, proximity and vibe of the place.

Last edited:

Jago

el oh el donkaments
HSC
higher uai cutoff = better reputation? and who said anything about "couples" ;) oh and if by some miracle i do actually get into a law course, what combinations should i do if i want to be a:

a) criminal barrister
b) contract lawyer

and hows career opportunities these days? I've always wanted to work for the DPP

santaslayer

HSC
Combinations as in the other combined degree? If so, then I would do definately do Commerce/Law for contract lawyer. Criminal barrister? You have to complete a series of practical and theoritcal exams to be admitted into the Bar. :)

Jago

el oh el donkaments
HSC
yeah if all goes well i fully intend on doing the bar exam

Jago

el oh el donkaments
HSC
holy cow

Costs of the Bar Practice Course

The course fee is $3000.00. The fee is refundable with a $100 administration fee being charged if withdrawal from the course is not less than 30 days prior to the course commencement. Applicants providing less than 30 days notice of withdrawal will be charged a $500.00 administration fee.

santaslayer

HSC
The cost of setting up a practice varies, but may include the following:

Examination fees, 3 x $ 200.00 $600
Professional indemnity insurance $1,200
Practising certificate $100
Bar Practice Course fee $3,000
Robes and wig $2,500
Computer $2,000
Printer $500
Basic financial and practice management software $2,000
Basic practice books and online subscriptions $4,000
Trolley $500

Total Cost $16,400

That's a reasonable cost. It's viewed as a business. :uhhuh: :)

Jago

el oh el donkaments
HSC
damn, what if you just join a practice? I'd reckon it'll be a pain to set up a firm and having to build up reputation from the ground up.

MoonlightSonata

Retired
HSC
N/A
santaslayer said:
some other factors which may also influence your choice include racial/sex ratio, the Uni's aesthetics, proximity and vibe of the place.
haha "the vibe"

Ziff

HSC
N/A
If "magna carta" is a funny one to look up in HCA judgements "vibe" should be a riot :p

Jago

el oh el donkaments
HSC
HCA? and what does the magna carta have to do with this?

Jago

el oh el donkaments
HSC
ahh, for some reason i was thinking Hottest Chick Alive...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)