Law and ??? (1 Viewer)

Blaz-357

HSC
Hey all, I'm planning to do Law/Commerce @ UNSW but i dont know which major within the Commerce degree will compliment/benefit the Law degree for a corporate career. Can anyone give me suggestion? Tvym.

Reckoner

HSC
I can help you but ... what doyou want to do first ... that is the question.

Absolutezero

real human bean
HSC
N/A
Depends on what type of law you want to focus in. Marketing would be one option, which would probably lead you into Consumer Law.

TehAzner

HSC
N/A
Accounting and Law also fits nicely together. If you want to get CPA/CA accreditation, law subjects will exempt you from having to LEGT subjects within your Commerce degree :)

Blaz-357

HSC
ye i dont really no what type of law i want to focus on really atm, but i want to earn alot of $$ lol

Reckoner

HSC
ye i dont really no what type of law i want to focus on really atm, but i want to earn alot of $$ lol
Then you should do a geology degree.

If you don't know what you want to do then there's no point in this thread.

Blaz-357

HSC
Then you should do a geology degree.

If you don't know what you want to do then there's no point in this thread.
well I'm not totally sure what area of law i want to do, but i want to do law...lol, im just not sure wat would be a good major in Commerce to combine Law with to earn alot of money. Also as i havnt decided if i actually want to do commerce with law, would a science degree majoring in psychology be beneficial? eg like persuading and manipulating the jury or sumthing im not sure...ofc if i want to be a barrister or solicitor

Edit: actually i am interested in criminal law and i do want to be a criminal prosecutor or defender, but looking at their salary, its not that flash, so i just want to consider my options

Last edited:

Reckoner

HSC
If you want to make $$ you should be working for an oil company.

Blaz-357

HSC
If you want to make $$ you should be working for an oil company.
Ok i guess maby, but i want to do it within the law profession and hopefully within commerce or crim so ...help?...i understand just doing the job for $$ is kinda...well u no..

Reckoner

HSC
well i don't know why you want to do law then ... b/c it's a myth that lawyers make money. they don't. BHP and RIO, and oil companies are making money.
Technology degrees make money. not law.

Blaz-357

HSC
well i don't know why you want to do law then ... b/c it's a myth that lawyers make money. they don't. BHP and RIO, and oil companies are making money.
Technology degrees make money. not law.
well do actuary make money? haha i know this might sound insane but how does a Comm(actuarial studies)/Law sound? lol

but ok in terms of money i really just wanna get into maby 100k per year max-ish

Reckoner

HSC
actuary = insurance.
and no ... actuaries do not make a lot compared to people who work in energy/oil/resources sector.

it's sort of like being a physics teacher ... hard but does not pay.

If you want to make money you should be studying mining engineering or some sort of tech degree.

check out the brw young rich list http://www.smartcompany.com.au/wealth/20090924-smart-entrepreneurs-dominate-the-new-rich.html:

For those who want to get rich try the following industries: 21 of the rich were in the technology sector, followed by 15 in property, 13 in sport, 12 in financial services and 11 in retail. There was only one Young Rich in manufacturing, media and telecommunications.

Lot of resources tycoons on the rich 200 list.

Do you see any lawyers and actuaries there?
You're making a mistake if you think law is going to make you money. If you don't believe me do it ... and waste 5 years of your life.

I should know ... b/c I'm doing B.Com/B.Law now.

(btw ... can you positive rep my posts? I just received a warning from a mod. lol)

Blaz-357

HSC
haha yer,, i'll pos rep u, ye i do no that lawyers dont earn as much as much as the peeps in the tech sector...but i hhhaaatteee that area alot, much prefer a career in com or law haha. btw whats ur major within the com degree? and could u give me an idea about the work load? and ive neva been very brillant in english, so would i struggle in the degree? and i read articles and heard from sum ppl, if u dont graduate in like top 30% of ur cohort or w/es u cant get a job or sumthing similar, is this true?

Reckoner

HSC
haha yer,, i'll pos rep u, ye i do no that lawyers dont earn as much as much as the peeps in the tech sector...but i hhhaaatteee that area alot, much prefer a career in com or law haha. btw whats ur major within the com degree? and could u give me an idea about the work load? and ive neva been very brillant in english, so would i struggle in the degree? and i read articles and heard from sum ppl, if u dont graduate in like top 30% of ur cohort or w/es u cant get a job or sumthing similar, is this true?
I'm majoring in finance.
work load ... meh ... hsc is probably harder ... but it's still a decent amount of work ... especially if you got extra curricular.

you may need to have some skills in writing and answering question with logical sentence structures, since that's the majority of the work in law. but the focus is more on ... do you know the law ... rather than the english and grammar ... nevertheless ... you still need tob e able to communicate concisely and coherently.

yeah you have to do well ... like a D average and above if you want to MAKE SURE that you will have a job by the end of the degree.
you can always get a credit average (65-74) but that won't guarantee work ... especially in a recessionary environment.

(pss - +ve rep me. )

Lukybear

HSC
I heard of people in law earning heaps before. But tahts if your good.

Just starting out it would be hard. But over the years, 100k+ is no problems i think.

TehAzner

HSC
N/A
What does that mean?
Strictly speaking, if you were majoring in Accounting in a normal B.Com degree you would have to have studied the following subjects:

However, if you're enrolled in Com/LLB it allows you to NOT take up these 4 subjects and therefore you won't have to learn things twice, so to speak, as your LLB subjects will have given you the required knowledge from the LEGT subjects. If I haven't made any sense I hope these links will make it clearer for you :)

UNSW Handbook Professional Recognition of Programs

UNSW Handbook Professional Recognition of Programs

http://www.law.unsw.edu.au/current_students/enrolment/docs/2009/4733_Commerce_Accounting_Law.pdf

chewy123

OAM, FAICD, FAAS, MBBS
HSC
^Thanks!:) soz cant positive rep you, apparently I have to spead it out lol.
And btw got my law back, slightly disappointed but o well, have to work harder for final.

chewy123

OAM, FAICD, FAAS, MBBS
HSC
I heard of people in law earning heaps before. But tahts if your good.

Just starting out it would be hard. But over the years, 100k+ is no problems i think.
Lawyers don't really earn a lot. They just work thrice the average hours.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)