latin=essay? ^*)(^%)&_&_+^*)%) (1 Viewer)

rukawasan

Top Stuff
HSC
ppls...
when i chose latin and latin ext i did not expect to be loaded with time consuming takehome essays so close to assessments and trials... do anyone else other than SBHS have to do essays as part of their internal?
neways...
can i get nehelp on dis question?
ne books, sites, papers, references i could read?
"Cicero in his speech 'In Catilinam I' is more concerned with an attack on the character of Catiline and his supporters rather tahn a presentation of substantiated fact. Discuss."

thanx...

do you ppls fantasise bt the end of hsc? i do...

Weisy

the evenstar
HSC
We never got take home essays. How long does this have to be? Most HSC-type questions are 2-3 pages (for an 8mark question) max.

We used the Clinard ed. for In Catilinam I, and it had some good notes at the end. Also try book translations of the text, for notes, etc. at the beginning. But I wouldn't worry too much about citing references to back up your points. You just need relevant quotes from the text, which show that Cicero is slagging Catiline. Remember the reason that he can't produce substatiated evidence is that he simply has none.

flyin'

EDIT
HSC
N/A
Well, you poor thing! :p :D :)

It's sort of like Eng, except alot of quoting and a lot more BS-ing cos it's in a diff language! If you have the syllabus, it has a v useful list of language devices which you most likely wouldn't 'ave come across in Eng!

rukawasan

Top Stuff
HSC
thanx...
how long dos it have to be? lol... theres no limit n dats the problem... esp in lat when everyone tries to outdo each other... was gona do bt 1000 words... but everyone elses doing 2000-3000 so if i dont just might get marked down... &*)^*)... sigh
just on the topic of 'extended responses' in hsc... how structured dos it have to be... like a eng essay? or just paragraphs illustrating a point? n how long dos it have to be approx?

thanx again...

also do u noe how high the pre-scaling is for latin? like where in the 90s... whatd u ppls get in 2001 n 2002?

flyin'

EDIT
HSC
N/A
In terms of scaling ... it's hard to tell because different school have different levels of difficulty in terms of internal assessments! (And ultimately, it's how your group goes in the HSC Exam ... unless you are ranked No. 1.)

The length ... varies! (Weisy was most likely talking about HSC Exam booklets ... which are like 2.5 pages to 1 Normal page.) Anyway, length should be somewhere similar to your fellow students (esp. if it's a take-home) because you don't want the teacher to have an excuse to dock you marks!

On another note - Ask your teacher the format, because each teacher has different expectations! For example, mine didn't even ask for an Intro or Conclusion ... It just depends ...

Just make sure you quote! And in Latin ... and explain ... so paragraphs ... I would think ...

Hope ... this help! But just ask your teacher ... and hopefully, they'll be nice in explainin'! :p

NSBHSchoolie

Man, your class is wasting its time for continuers. I can't see the point of making you do essays when you aren't expected to reproduce that in a test. As for extension, you only have to do a 'mini-essay'.

Weisy

the evenstar
HSC
Originally posted by rukawasan
thanx...
how long dos it have to be? lol... theres no limit n dats the problem... esp in lat when everyone tries to outdo each other... was gona do bt 1000 words... but everyone elses doing 2000-3000 so if i dont just might get marked down... &*)^*)... sigh
just on the topic of 'extended responses' in hsc... how structured dos it have to be... like a eng essay? or just paragraphs illustrating a point? n how long dos it have to be approx?

thanx again...

also do u noe how high the pre-scaling is for latin? like where in the 90s... whatd u ppls get in 2001 n 2002?
OK, if your teacher is looking for an exam-type response, 1000 words is plenty, probably even too much. If it's an essay in itself, you could probably go for more. Have you actually considered asking your teacher what he/she wants?

As for structure...it really helps in the HSC responses if you can structure your answer. But don't worry too much about getting some ingenious argument going, or some underlying theme...I always thought that way in my responses, because I thought it would make the answer more impressive, but really all they are looking for is some sort of an appropriate analysis, complete with relevant quotes. Note 'appropriate' and 'relevant'.

Definitely use paragraphs. One per point that you are trying to illustrate. You need to make it easy for the markers to give you marks. They actually count how many points you make, and tick them off a master sheet with possible solutions.

Hmmm...what else? scaling....Latin scaled really well in 2001 and not so well last year.

edit: oh, now i see what you meant by pre-scaling. Yeah, it pre-scales really highly (HSC mark wise). I think usually over 60 percent of people get above 90 in continuers.

Last edited:

Weisy

the evenstar
HSC
Originally posted by flyin'
In terms of scaling ... it's hard to tell because different school have different levels of difficulty in terms of internal assessments! (And ultimately, it's how your group goes in the HSC Exam ... unless you are ranked No. 1.)

The length ... varies! (Weisy was most likely talking about HSC Exam booklets ... which are like 2.5 pages to 1 Normal page.) Anyway, length should be somewhere similar to your fellow students (esp. if it's a take-home) because you don't want the teacher to have an excuse to dock you marks!

On another note - Ask your teacher the format, because each teacher has different expectations! For example, mine didn't even ask for an Intro or Conclusion ... It just depends ...

Just make sure you quote! And in Latin ... and explain ... so paragraphs ... I would think ...

Hope ... this help! But just ask your teacher ... and hopefully, they'll be nice in explainin'! :p
yep, HSC exam booklets. 2.5 spacing on B5 paper. :D

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)