• Howard

Votes: 182 34.6%

• Total voters

neo o

it's coming to me...
HSC
Asquithian said:
oh crikey...
1. hahha...the Aussie dollar is down under howard...have a look at the current balance of payments...its MASSIVE
The point has been made before that private sector debt is not the responsibility of the government, since the HOWARD GOVERNMENT has all but eliminated government net foreign debt, and as a consequence hasn't contributed to the CAD.

You could actually argue we have a good CAD, since its indicitive of high economic growth, and as it is at the moment the CAD is supportable, even though it is nearing danger levels.

Ziff

HSC
N/A
neo_o said:
The point has been made before that private sector debt is not the responsibility of the government, since the HOWARD GOVERNMENT has all but eliminated government net foreign debt, and as a consequence hasn't contributed to the CAD.

You could actually argue we have a good CAD, since its indicitive of high economic growth, and as it is at the moment the CAD is supportable, even though it is nearing danger levels.
http://www.cosepp.com/Y_FA05.htm#three_anal_SUPP

During the period covered by the above graph, the Australian foreign debt rose steadily, reaching the sum of $A374 billion as at 31 December 2003. Though the Australian dollar should have fallen during the period, it didn't because of the effects of having relatively high interest rates in Australia.

The market value of the Australian dollar, as measured in US dollars, fell during 2000, steadied somewhat during 2001, and then rose steadily during 2002 and 2003. This can be explained by the fact that interest rates were initially lower in Australia than in the US during 2000, and then increased steadily and excessively during 2001, 2002, and 2003 in response to the mounting foreign debt threatening to weaken the Australian dollar. This can be seen more clearly by referring to the graph below, on the Australian Dollar v. Difference (Australian Interest Rates Less US Interest Rates), or by clicking here.

The downward movement in the market value of the Australian dollar was cushioned, and thwarted, by having a high interest rate differential between Australian and US interest rates. This differential increased further during 2002 and 2003, and the Australian dollar duly responded by increasing in value vis-*-vis the US dollar.

The Australian interest rate needs to be much higher than in the US, and be sufficiently high enough in order to stabilise the Australian dollar vis-*-vis the US dollar, as a result of Australia's huge foreign debt. This debt needs continuing funding by overseas investors, who require incentives (relatively high interest rates) to do so. This has therefore saddled Australia with a debilitating constraint in setting its economic policies. As a result, Australia has really lost much of its economic independence, something which the governing politicians are hardly likely to rush to admit to the Australian public.

VanCarBus

~--> Quincy <--~
HSC
124 for HOward? that means 124 self centred racists

Hi,

im so sorry i called you 124 people racists and soforth, but i guess, *sigh* thats true, that you people want to vote someone as selfish as Howard. That man has no self-respect for his own country. He doesnt solve the problems in Australia, he goes abroad , send Australian troops to Afghanistan and Iraq...Did they do anything to us? HOward's "1" good thing is that he can skyrocket this countries economy. Apart from that, he lives inside a box and cant get out. Look at the children overboard story and refugees etc. That JOhnny boy has no idea

mervvyn

Marshm'ello
Somewhere over the rainbow... yes, that rainbow.
HSC
Gem_max, the Federal contribution to education at primary, secondary and tertiary level is very significant - that's why there is such a bitch fight over it, which is attracting all the attention. HECS for example, is a Federally funded scheme (integrated into income tax, a Federal tax), not to mention the rest of uni funding. Uni places are a big issue, hence their funding is as well.
Ditto public/private schooling, if the Federal contribution made little difference, why would people kick up such a fuss? It's big money...

allstarr69

howard sucks... he robs and robs us through more taxes an hecs costs and then Just before the election he thinks he can "buy" his way back in by throwing billions at the public. Hmmm i wonder where those billions came from Johnny? And then he calls this good ecnomic management. yeh right.. its called stealing.

gem_max

HSC
mervvyn said:
Gem_max, the Federal contribution to education at primary, secondary and tertiary level is very significant - that's why there is such a bitch fight over it, which is attracting all the attention. HECS for example, is a Federally funded scheme (integrated into income tax, a Federal tax), not to mention the rest of uni funding. Uni places are a big issue, hence their funding is as well.
Ditto public/private schooling, if the Federal contribution made little difference, why would people kick up such a fuss? It's big money...
yes i realise that the federal govt handles a majority of the educational funding in this country and have known that from the start. I never said that they didnt. Dont people read anymore? Gawd i dont think any amount of funding will ever educate some people...

mervvyn

Marshm'ello
Somewhere over the rainbow... yes, that rainbow.
HSC
gem_max said:
yes i realise that the federal govt handles a majority of the educational funding in this country and have known that from the start. I never said that they didnt. Dont people read anymore? Gawd i dont think any amount of funding will ever educate some people...
that's cool, it just seemed that you didn't really know... this is what i had meant to quote you for:

2)Yes i realise the federal treasury operates in conjunction with the state to allocate educational costs yet i said 'at the end of the day'. What I was focusing on is that if Latham takes power he wont be giving too much attention to something his government only has a fraction of control over, therefore he shouldnt be making such claims.

Rafy

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad
Howard.

Latham is an inexperienced, freedom hating, fool with anger management issues. How anybody could take him seriously is beyond me.

Last edited:

gem_max

HSC
mervvyn said:
that's cool, it just seemed that you didn't really know... this is what i had meant to quote you for:
Ah no worries, perhaps I should have chosen my words a bit more carefully. Remember fraction doesnt necessarily mean small. eg.3/4 etc is rather a dominant chunk.

Generator

HSC
N/A

I'm guessing that this has already been posted by another member (somewhere), too

bocheng

HSC
I prefer Latham, Howard just stingy to us students

gem_max

HSC
Argonaut said:
If I could vote, I'd choose Latham. John Howard is a doddery old fool who should phone Rove McManus. One of my friends thinks he knows everything about Politics and is demanding that we all vote Liberal as "A vote for Latham is a vote for Dictatorship! YOU MUST VOTER LIBERAL!!!"

Not only for those reasons, I'd choose Latham because he or his party is clearly smart - he appealed to the older people in a country with an ageing population something King Johnny didn't think of. and besides, Latham hasn't lied about Iraq, asylum seekers, the economy, the FTA etc etc etc.

Has anyone noticed in advertising for each party that Labour says what they WILL do and Liberal says what they HAVE done and they criticise Latham a lot. Surely since Labour is being far more positive that's a good thing?

But as I'm not 18 yet (phew!) I have no point.
Isnt it more logical to vote on the basis of claims that HAVE happened rather than an empty promise of what WILL happen (yeah right)?

Perhaps it is safer that you are not voting yet. Choosing not to vote for someone just because you believe them to be a tottery old fool is not grounds for an educated vote.

I'm not trying to influence your political opinion here. I just want you to realise that when you do turn 18 you will have to formulate your opinion in a much more mature manner.

iambored

dum-di-dum
HSC
lol @ the above gem_max quote!! it sounds like you're (gem_max) talking to a little kid, but they are what, 1 or 2 years younger than you!

gem_max

HSC
iambored said:
lol @ the above gem_max quote!! it sounds like you're (gem_max) talking to a little kid, but they are what, 1 or 2 years younger than you!
haha yeah oops youre right, im about to turn 19... damn my school teacher voice. Must be because ive been designing units of work for the past 2 months for my teaching degree. I even have the scrawl of a school teacher. Its freakin me out.

yeah that would mean we would NEVER have a change of government. Does this also mean that dont believe any of the promises of the howard government since they refer to what WILL happen?
no labor has been in power before if you require a basis for what THEY have done or you might opt to examine Latham's governing of his electorate. It doesnt mean i dont believe any promises. Pessimisn wont get your chosen party into power dude. Show some optimism at least even if you are opposing my chosen party!

Last edited:

ohne

HSC
Asquithian said:
Dont be stupid ...'the liberal party has been in power before and they supported the white Australia policy'

if you can get away with what you said i can get away with my above statement
The architect of the white Austraila policy was former ALP leader Arthur Calwell and it was abolished by the coalition in the mid to late 1960s amid ALP opposition.

CoOkI3

Howard!

Howard!...even though Howard isnt great....i dont see how Latham could be better

Last edited:

lukebennett

Happy Member
HSC
I think it is terribly risky to vote labour. look at the economy now it is the best it has ever been. Sure more money could go on education and health but money doesnt grow on trees. i can assure you latham will spend big on these but it wont make a difference. $I00m on education will barely amount to an extra $15 per week for teachers. enough to buy a coffee from a cafe and get a sandwich. what a big deal(not). latham will send us into a deficit. Howard stands buy his propositions more than mosty politicians (you cant be a PM and not lie). Latham is inexperienced and in a time of uncertainty such as now, why change PM. Latham will ruin our surplus when we may need to rebuild our economy after terroism. another point. T ocut private scool spending is taking away the money we have paid in tax for our education. Its criminal to take it from hard working people who deserve to earn as much as they earn. Some lose half their income in tax and to have that taken and not put in their kids education is wrong. For university, HECS is so high because howard doesnt want people who arent going to benefit much from UNI to have to pay for it(it is expensive but we are all taxe less for it but peopple who use it pay).
Vote Howard to keep Latham out! or reep the problems in the future

gem_max

HSC
Dont be ignorant Asquithian. Indonesia arent the only ones causing trouble and you know it. Times ARE uncertain because we dont know the true stability of other nations and their relationship with us. Heck even Italy just suffered the fate of terrorism... This of course doesnt necessarily mean that Howard will protect us better than Latham may be capable of in the unlikely event of terror, but it is an interesting point to raise, and a welcome change to all the usual poppycock going on about health and education.

Actually I was rather shocked by that post compared to the others you have made. Although it was very long, involving many quotes, you did not seem to apply as much effort as you usually do. 'One of those days'?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)