• Latham

Votes: 344 65.4%
  • Howard

Votes: 182 34.6%

• Total voters

Generator

HSC
N/A
The convicts weren't here by choice and it was the decision of the British in Australia to treat the Aboriginal people in the way that they were (even though this didn't hold with what Britain wanted with regards to relations with indigenous persons). That wasn't a great comparison (But then again, one could argue something similar with the applicant and dependent system of migration).

People shouldn't have to speak English at the same level as the rest of the population. Provided that they can get by, and that they realise that they may have to learn 'proper' English if they wish to seek greater employment opportunities, then it shouldn't matter what their level of English is. Besides, it is near impossible to understand a number of people from english only backgrounds, too.

But back to the actual topic... Latham.

Last edited:

freaking_out

Saddam's new life
HSC
Originally posted by Generator
The convicts weren't here by choice and it was the decision of the British in Australia to treat the Aboriginal people in the way that they were (even though this didn't hold with what Britain wanted with regards to relations with indigenous persons). That wasn't a great comparison (But then again, one could argue something similar with the applicant and dependent system of migration).

People shouldn't have to speak English at the same level as the rest of the population. Provided that they can get by, and that they realise that they may have to learn 'proper' English if they wish to seek greater employment opportunities, then it shouldn't matter what their level of English is. Besides, it is near impossible to understand a number of people from english only backgrounds, too...

well, anyway, bcoz of the above reason, the ppl. who tell migrants to "go home" have no right to say that. and yeah, i do agree that ppl. shuld know english, and likewise know japanese if their in japan or arabic, if their in the middle east.

B

Bambul

To quote Moe: "Damm imigents, don't even learn to speak English proper!"

Butterfly_Wings

Cornflake Girl
HSC
Originally posted by freaking_out
but u can't force migrants to fully assimilate
I think the word we are all looking for is integration. Assimilation implies throwing your old life out the window. Integration is more like adjusting to a new environment.

Regarding the language-I don't think it is that bad if someone doesn't learn the new language, but I think it will be a whole lot easier for everyone, and certainly for them. It's just when people retreat and seem to go to lengths to remain uninvolved with the new culture that I get frustrated.

Enlightened_One

King of Bullshit
HSC
I'm not syaing to learn 'proper' English, no one is Australia knows 'proper' English anyway. We speak with a lot of slang.
But, there are, and I have actually seen this, even out where I am (you know beyong Sydney where there is life, sort of). This poor bastard kept demanding yesterday's Beijing paper. The poor shop keeper, or whatever, was trying, somewhat uselessly, to explain, in the easiest way possible, that they were out.
I don't even know whether the bloke (wanting the paper) actually understood the other bloke.
And for Latham or Howard, neither, give the power to the minor parties

Ziff

HSC
N/A
Originally posted by melbournian
From the Aus tralian

Should this kind of leader, who slander members of the media a 'skanky ho', run the country?
Can't be worse than the way Howard is trying to become the first Prime Minister in history to avoid/censor media scrutany...

Generator

HSC
N/A
Ah, Melbournian, he makes a single comment and he is unfit for leadership?

Generator

HSC
N/A
Hahaha

There must be something about personal attacks that makes them so appealing to Liberals... :p

B

Bambul

Originally posted by melbournian
No, he is just trying to make the ABC as a public broadcaster, impartial (not mealy a puppet of the left).
I love it how whenever we have a Liberal PM the ABC is accused of being anti government and when we have an ALP PM the ABC is *still* accused of being anti government. :)

Cape

Forza Ferrari!
HSC
Next year is the first time that I will be able to vote, and I would have to say Latham, he shows that ordinary people can climb the ladder and get somewhere in life. Anyone who calls Howard an arse licker for his part with following bush deserves a go. I hope that he becomes prime minister. I also heard him talking about turning into a republic. But I dunno. Its time for a change in Australia now.

Generator

HSC
N/A
Werriwa, which is the Campbelltown area in general.

Last edited:

AGB

HSC
i hav just been reading through this thread, and i can not understand why ppl like latham.....so what if he has come from struggle street? it doesnt make him fit to be prime minister. so what if he can do a better job than crean? it isnt actually that hard. and furthermore, what kind of an example is he setting for the australian public with his foul mouth

the guy cant even make up his mind. i doubt he even knows wot his opinion on different issues is going to be next week

most obviously, who the hell would want the labour party in charge of this country again....they would only undo all of the good work howard has done.....

Generator

HSC
N/A
Well then, it is a good thing that we will never have the Labour party running this country...

Latham represents change (in many ways). That is what we need at the federal level, even if it only results in the Coalition changing their own methods in order to remain in power.

AGB

HSC
i am sure that everyone would agree change for the sake of change is pointless......

why do we need to change? the country is going along just fine; resilient economy (something the labour govt could only dream of achieving in a global environment...), strong position globally (in terms of foreign policy), and also minimisation of domestic problems through reforms, new policy etc (if this is what you were referring to, generator, as change of policy in your post, then fair enough, but i dont think you need an opposition in order for whoever is in govt to fix problems, as they tend to attempt to do that regardless...)

Generator

HSC
N/A
Change for the sake of progress is what is at stake. Economically rational policies may be what is needed given the increasingly globalised environment that we find ourselves in, but not at the expense of social progress.

AGB

HSC
i completely agree that that is what is needed, but do u have an example to support the claim that this is not what is happening??

i am struggling to find one....

Last edited:

Enlightened_One

King of Bullshit
HSC
The government now is discussing change themselves, or have you forgot. They aim to open the markets up freely to imports and destroy industries. The drought has stiffed farmers pretty bad, and this free trade agreement will do worse.
There are some changes we don't need.

On the other hand though, some changes are needed. The HECS fees have just sky rocketed, again. We need a government who will change the public education problem, and the health crisis, so it is fair to all. Right now public education and health need change, for the better

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 3)