Last dot point of The World Communicates (1 Viewer)

jxballistic

HSC
5.1 Identify types of
communication data
that are stored or transmitted in
digital form

My teacher said that the answer to this dot point is "anything on the computer such as CDs/DVDs".
I am a bit confused, as I think the answer should be something more like "internet, phone calls and fax", as communication data concerns information about communication.

Can someone please clear this up for me

anomalousdecay

Premium Member
HSC
Digital from refers to anything in binary. CD's/DVD's are based on binary systems (through pits on the disc) and GPS triangulation requires 4 satellites (3 for a 2d view and a fourth for altitude).

The Internet works on binary from either radio signals or from fibre optic cables that carry out 1's and 0's from the transmitter.

Phone calls and fax work based on copper wiring, which send electrical impulses in the form of 1's and 0's aswell.

Remember, data stored or transmitted in digital form refer to binary systems. Therefore all of these examples are necessary for the dot point.
That is probably all you need though.

Hope this helps.

jxballistic

HSC
But CDs and DVDs aren't really "types of communication data" are they?

anomalousdecay

Premium Member
HSC
Yes they are. You can put an assignment or report on a CD or DVD (although odd) and send it to someone to look at. This is communicating your ideas and research.
They consist of data on the pits and flats in the forms of 1's and 0's respectively.
Note something, It doesn't hurt to write something wrong in an exam, unless you contradict yourself.
Even if you are unsure of something, write it down in an exam unless it contradicts something you said before.

anomalousdecay

Premium Member
HSC
No worries. If you really want to learn more about that module, which will help you in the HSC look up the photoelectric effect and black body radiation of the HSC course.
I was wondering how electromagnetic waves are actually generated a year ago and it wasn't until now that I found out in the HSC course.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)