Last 2 units (1 Viewer)

sick_and_tired

HSC
Hi!
Im looking to study a course like software engineering in the future, and im kinda confused on the last 2 units i should do. I need 12 for yr 11. Also, do these subjects seem fine or should i be changing some of them. Thanks :3

English advanced
Software engineering
Design and tech
Maths advanced
Buisness studies

jimmysmith560

Le Phénix Trilingue
HSC
Uni Grad
Your subject combination seems appropriate and consistent with your future study interest. You will be taking the all-new Software Engineering as well as Design and Technology, which should support you in gaining a solid foundation of knowledge prior to commencing tertiary studies, and can therefore make the start of your next education journey easier (once you reach that stage). Business Studies provides you with a good understanding of the business world as well as four key business functions, which is never bad to have. Mathematics Advanced provides you with an appropriate level of knowledge of mathematical concepts. However, my understanding is that Mathematics Extension 1 is considered important if you wish to study software engineering beyond the HSC, and may also be treated as assumed knowledge (as is the case of UNSW), meaning that you may wish to consider it.

If you choose to take Mathematics Extension 1, you will still need an additional subject to meet the required number of units. In such a case, you can either choose to take a 1-unit subject (see Average Boreduser's suggestion above), or take a 2-unit subject (resulting in a total of 13 units), specifically the all-new Enterprise Computing, which replaces Information Processes and Technology. Given your interest in studying a technology-related field, this subject can potentially further support you in gaining a solid foundation prior to attending university, whereas another unrelated subject would not. If you choose to take this subject, you will have the required 12 units anyway, meaning that you do not necessarily have to take Mathematics Extension 1 if you do not wish.

With that being said, it is important to keep in mind that, in choosing your subjects, you should prioritise your personal interests as well as your performance (i.e. subjects that you believe you can perform well in).

I hope this helps! 😄

avicidal

HSC
Wow i am old, did not realise SDD was changed into software engineering. It would be interesting to see how that goes. Otherwise, if i were you id pick a maths based subject, as it would be some represnted in the first year courses in uni, if you still plan on doing software engineering by that time (or compsci). Doing 3u and physics now would help you save some time in uni, though engineering studies could also complement that aswell.

sick_and_tired

HSC
Your subject combination seems appropriate and consistent with your future study interest. You will be taking the all-new Software Engineering as well as Design and Technology, which should support you in gaining a solid foundation of knowledge prior to commencing tertiary studies, and can therefore make the start of your next education journey easier (once you reach that stage). Business Studies provides you with a good understanding of the business world as well as four key business functions, which is never bad to have. Mathematics Advanced provides you with an appropriate level of knowledge of mathematical concepts. However, my understanding is that Mathematics Extension 1 is considered important if you wish to study software engineering beyond the HSC, and may also be treated as assumed knowledge (as is the case of UNSW), meaning that you may wish to consider it.

If you choose to take Mathematics Extension 1, you will still need an additional subject to meet the required number of units. In such a case, you can either choose to take a 1-unit subject (see Average Boreduser's suggestion above), or take a 2-unit subject (resulting in a total of 13 units), specifically the all-new Enterprise Computing, which replaces Information Processes and Technology. Given your interest in studying a technology-related field, this subject can potentially further support you in gaining a solid foundation prior to attending university, whereas another unrelated subject would not. If you choose to take this subject, you will have the required 12 units anyway, meaning that you do not necessarily have to take Mathematics Extension 1 if you do not wish.

With that being said, it is important to keep in mind that, in choosing your subjects, you should prioritise your personal interests as well as your performance (i.e. subjects that you believe you can perform well in).

I hope this helps! 😄
Thanks! :) I was thinking of choosing Maths ext 1 however im kinda worried if it'll be too hard or not. In my school I'll rank myself around the middle/later half of the cohort for maths, however i'm in a highly ranked selective school so the results are kinda skewed. Should I still consider putting this down as a subject or just going with the 12 units?

jimmysmith560

Le Phénix Trilingue
HSC
Uni Grad
Thanks! :) I was thinking of choosing Maths ext 1 however im kinda worried if it'll be too hard or not. In my school I'll rank myself around the middle/later half of the cohort for maths, however i'm in a highly ranked selective school so the results are kinda skewed. Should I still consider putting this down as a subject or just going with the 12 units?
No worries! The good thing about year 11 is that it acts as a period during which you can experience a range of subjects at no expense, because none of your marks in year 11 will contribute towards your HSC results or your ATAR, which allows you to determine the best subject combination to have as you approach year 12. Based on this, if you feel like Mathematics Extension 1 is worth a try, you should definitely take it and see how you go. If you end up performing favourably throughout year 11, then you may wish to keep it going into year 12. If not, you can definitely drop it and allocate the resulting free time towards your other subjects.

sick_and_tired

HSC
Wow i am old, did not realise SDD was changed into software engineering. It would be interesting to see how that goes. Otherwise, if i were you id pick a maths based subject, as it would be some represnted in the first year courses in uni, if you still plan on doing software engineering by that time (or compsci). Doing 3u and physics now would help you save some time in uni, though engineering studies could also complement that aswell.
Ah I see :) How would you rank physics with like, the difficulty and things such as that. I haven't been able to get a good look at physics at the moment as my science class just finished bio.

Average Boreduser

𝙱𝚊𝚗𝚗𝚎𝚍
HSC
Definately at least try it. As Jim said ^ it won't affect your atar. I mean you might even like it so much, that you might pick up 4U in the future.

carrotsss

HSC
Ah I see :) How would you rank physics with like, the difficulty and things such as that. I haven't been able to get a good look at physics at the moment as my science class just finished bio.
It’s not too bad, yr11 does go through everything pretty quick but most of the modules are pretty easy simple formula calculations

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)