Lasers (1 Viewer)

Doctor Jolly

. Per Aspera Ad Astra *
HSC
Hi Guys!

Well, my teacher the other day put forward a question to ask the class and he got me thinking about it for a while, so here's the question:

"What are the limitations to Lasers?"

I tried searching for the answers on the internet, but I haven't found anything solid yet. I'd appreciate any help, because I'm getting paranoid!

Thanks.

me121

Premium Member
HSC
Doctor Jolly said:
Hi Guys!

Well, my teacher the other day put forward a question to ask the class and he got me thinking about it for a while, so here's the question:

"What are the limitations to Lasers?"

I tried searching for the answers on the internet, but I haven't found anything solid yet. I'd appreciate any help, because I'm getting paranoid!

Thanks.
Well they don't really work for illuminating a room as they tend to be a beam.. just a thought.

twilight1412

HSC
well extremely high powered lazers create a vaccum around themselves so theyre pretty tank ;)

Doctor Jolly

. Per Aspera Ad Astra *
HSC
me121 said:
Well they don't really work for illuminating a room as they tend to be a beam.. just a thought.
Hey! That's so true! Thanks!

Does anyone else know anymore limitations?

shannonm

HSC
N/A
the photons are emitted in phase and have the same polarisation as it's stimulating radiation

the wavelength of the light has to correspond to the resonant cavity (i.e. to 'fit' the standing waves)

outcoming photons are to a good extent parallel (highly directional - so you can't light up a room as someone else said)

output frequency is totally dependant on energy difference between the two transition states (e.g 632.82nm [or whatever] for a He-Ne laser)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)