large blocks of play time for preschoolers (1 Viewer)

alby

cool duckie
HSC
i'd put this in the tafe forum or somewhere else, but dont like my chances of getting much of a response. the assignment's not due till april 10, but i want to get it done within the next week. i wont see my teacher until next monday (part-time)

i'm doing child studies at tafe and my current assignment is from a package (self-study) on care routines for preschool kids. i have 2 scenarios to answer questions for. the children are 4mths-2yrs, and 2.5-5yrs

what i want to know is, what do they (or what would you) define as 'large blocks of time for relaxed, uninterrupted play'? i understand that children need time so that they can become engaged in their play, etc..but NOWHERE can i find anything to even give me an idea of how long a 'large block' is....for any child!

i know most of you guys aren working with/studying preschoolers, but any help would be greatly apprecaited.

tabbi_neubeck

minus the neubeck part
HSC
I imagine a large block cannot be defined, as it would be determined by the the children concerned and the activity they are taking part in.

alby

cool duckie
HSC
the actual question is 'does the routine provide large blocks of time for relaxed, uninterrupted play? give reasons for your answer', and the children are 4mths-2yrs, and 2.5-5yrs.
the play times in the scenarios are (similar for both):
- indoor activities between arrival and morning tea
- 1 hour of indoor play
- 1 hour of outdoor play
- 30mins of group time before lunch

if a large block cannot be defined then how am i meant to answer the question? i dont currently work in a centre, so i dont have any other routines to give me suggestions.

alby

cool duckie
HSC
:) thanks kaz

its just hard because the info i'm given is a really brief description of the routine, like "the children then have morning tea, one hour outdoor play, one hour indoor play before nappy change, group time and eating their lunch at 11.30" (taken from the first scenario). and i couldnt find much on large blocks in the actual package, except for mentioning that children need them.

my teacher said that most answers would be no's ('does the routine allow for xyz? give reasons' sort of questions), so i was wondering what the hell i'd put in for this one. they have 2 hours free play + group time (~30mins) between morning tea & lunch. other than maybe saying it should be 2hrs of indoor AND outdoor play (more relaxed), i cant think of any other negs. and they dont say anything about after the kids sleep time, so i cant comment on that

i swear i feel like i'm repeating myself in these questions....only differences are 1 or 2 different words here & there! so annoying :(

alby

cool duckie
HSC
mmmm...i guess i'll just have to use big words and try to make it make sense :p

i'm sure i'll have fun with this...:rolleyes:
shall return if i get stuck again - you guys is smrt :) kaz = little miss VERY helpful

Ranger Stacie

hollaback girl
HSC
alby said:
the actual question is 'does the routine provide large blocks of time for relaxed, uninterrupted play? give reasons for your answer', and the children are 4mths-2yrs, and 2.5-5yrs.
the play times in the scenarios are (similar for both):
- indoor activities between arrival and morning tea
- 1 hour of indoor play
- 1 hour of outdoor play
- 30mins of group time before lunch

if a large block cannot be defined then how am i meant to answer the question? i dont currently work in a centre, so i dont have any other routines to give me suggestions.

by a large block of uninterrupted time, they mean does the child/ren have time engage in their play meaningfully. According to the emergent curriculum this may mean that carers might need to be flexible and 'bend' their routine in order to avoid interrupting play, if some hugescale 'investigation' was going on. Its hard to say what a huge block of time is, it might vary between the age groups. An hour is a LOT of time for a 1 year old to engage in an activity, it might not seem as much to a 5 year old if they are really interested in what they are doing
Opposing that is the fact that children need routines for a sense of security.
hopefully, i at least made some sense anyway

i don't think there is a right or wrong answer, as long as you can justify what you say it should be ok

Serius

Beyond Godlike
HSC
roughly 1 hour, but i think it depends on the child alot more than you would think, if they are engaged in what they are doing, stretch it abit longer as long as they arent bored its all good.

simple things like painting,kids can have alot of fun but its not usually going to stretch into an hour. play doh, thats alot more fun though!

alby

cool duckie
HSC
Ranger Stacie said:
by a large block of uninterrupted time, they mean does the child/ren have time engage in their play meaningfully. According to the emergent curriculum this may mean that carers might need to be flexible and 'bend' their routine in order to avoid interrupting play, if some hugescale 'investigation' was going on. Its hard to say what a huge block of time is, it might vary between the age groups. An hour is a LOT of time for a 1 year old to engage in an activity, it might not seem as much to a 5 year old if they are really interested in what they are doing
Opposing that is the fact that children need routines for a sense of security.
hopefully, i at least made some sense anyway

i don't think there is a right or wrong answer, as long as you can justify what you say it should be ok
definitely made sense there...might have to steal some of that :p
'investigation' = strong interest in something?
in the 2nd scenario (older lot of kids), the kids were interested in caterpillars in the garden. i could put something about integrating some research/investigation about it into the play/group times...hmmmm that sounds good :)
thanks stace

i've got to give examples of how i'd change the routine so that its better for the kids..does something like this sound good for the under 2's:
– morning tea (9am)
– 1 hr combined outdoor and indoor free play
– 45 min - 1 hr sleep
– 30 min group time (something relaxed, eg. story)
– lunch (11.30am)
– 30 mins free play
– sleep
..with 5-10mins transitions, inc. packing stuff away (only if needed obviously)

heheh jarad
1hr painting definitely wouldnt last for 1 kid! but with other stuff (eg. playdough, dramatic play, etc) set up you could have lots of fun

Last edited:

Serius

Beyond Godlike
HSC
yes iam teh children expert

well not really, just a big brother in a big family but u get the jist

alby

cool duckie
HSC
Serius said:
yes iam teh children expert

well not really, just a big brother in a big family but u get the jist
see! even those who arent real experts (or training to be) have at least SOME idea of what i'm talking about! :D

alby

cool duckie
HSC
you stalker kaz! i never said anything about the child-directed play question :eek:
i wish this was 2 essays so that i could put that in :( they may be a lot longer than 8 q's per scenario, but SO much easier! (i NEVER thought i'd say that after year 12)

alby

cool duckie
HSC
lol
i'd say yes, but i've never even heard of it!! sowwi hon, you're just going to have to work your lil arse off for it :p

PrincessSJ

Work. Inn. Buy Shoes
HSC
I'm working in a preschool at the moment (2-3 years room) and our summer routine is as follows)

7.30 - 9 indoor freeplay
9 - 10.30 outdoor freeplay
10.30 - 11.30 indoor freeplay (children eat morning tea as they wish from 9-11.30)
11.30 - 12 language groups
12 - 12.30 (ish) lunch
12.30 - 1.30 rest time
1.30 - 3 children who don't sleep are engaged in quiet activities while others sleep
3 - 4.30 outdoor play
4.30 - 6 indoor play

I can't remember the winter routine cause we haven't changed over to it yet.

Obviously if the children were to become engaged in an activity we would stretch teh times as far as possible to allow them to get the most out of it....
There are some constraints tho; e.g. having to be inside from 11-3 cause of sunsafety, and the specific times that meals have to happen (which i cant remember exactly) etc etc...

But I think the thing that needs to be stressed is that it's all FLEXIBLE... for example.. we had a maori group come in and do a traditional dance for us last week, so we didnt eat lunch till a little after 1pm... all the kids were engaged in the performance and no-one was complaining of being hungry so we let them run with it and ask questions, have a turn at the dances etc

Hope my rambling makes some sort of sense..

Good luck!
SJ

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)