Laptops!!! (1 Viewer)

Kathleen

fatmuscle SUX
HSC
Planning to buy a laptop.. NFI what to get!

any suggestion

Collin

HSC
N/A
Well for what purpose do you need one?

Also check out the 2 other laptop threads on this forum lying around.

Kathleen

fatmuscle SUX
HSC
I want a small.. like 12.1 i wanted toshiba dynabook CX but its only sold in japan ...:(

Collin

HSC
N/A
Again, for what purpose do you need one. Then, only can we begin to discuss the specifications of the actual hardware.

For example, if you need it for gaming, then the hardware specifications you'll need will be vastly different to say, if you needed it for university.

Kathleen

fatmuscle SUX
HSC
Uni? im not a gaming person so i dont need an expensive video card..

i know wat i want...

atleast 512 RAM at least 80Gb

DVD-ROM CD-R/RW maybe DVD writer...

Wireless 802.11 B/g

Bluetooth would be mad too!

Pentium M

Mithoric

HSC
Well you seem to know what you are on about :) ... I don't know what your budget is but how about a benq joybook 6000N ... not quite cheap but it's the top of the line for those specs, smaller hard drive though.

Kathleen

fatmuscle SUX
HSC
I was thinking of getting it from overseas ... alot cheaper!

babydoll_

wat
HSC
N/A
I don't know anything about computers, but I want a laptop of reasonable price and size. NO LAGGING! I just need it to type stuff up, listen to music and surf the net. I don't care much about graphics cards and stuff but good sound is essential. I'm a uni student .'. I have a limited budget. Any suggestions?

Mithoric

HSC
Well if you go for a dell you have 2 entry level options -

The Inspiron 600m (2.5kg) - $1899
or Inspiron 1150 (3.3kg) - $1399

I'd really recommend the 600m though. Better performance in everything than the 1150 with the exception of battery power usage but that difference is only marginal.

Collin

HSC
N/A
Well unfortunately, sound seems to be one of the areas laptops still lack. Most, if not all general laptops have integrated sound (i.e of the motherboard, not of a seperate dedicated sound card/device).. and generally the sound isn't great. So when you go onto customisable dealers like Dell, you have no customisation options for the sound card, since well.. there isn't one. Of course, the sound will still be pretty good from most integrated cards (especially if you're able to get your hands on some nForce2 mobos), but don't expect it to be as good as say, sound generated from Sound Blaster Live!/Audigy cards etc. Also I'm assuming that you'll be using headphones.
For all your other activities, you won't be requiring much power. So I estimate you could get a reasonably good laptop suiting that criteria for around $1400 - $2500.

Last edited:

babydoll_

wat
HSC
N/A
Is it possible to put a laptop together with various parts, like you can with a normal desktop computer?

sunny

meh.
HSC
Originally posted by babydoll_
Is it possible to put a laptop together with various parts, like you can with a normal desktop computer?
If you ever open up a laptop, the chances are you will only find one board inside the laptop. Laptop motherboards have almost everything builtin. Mostly only things external to the motherboard like RAM, hard disk size, and expansion cards like wireless can be optional.

Winston

HSC
If anyone here stated their max budget and their main purpose of use and what their desired specs are it will help alot!

Collin

HSC
N/A
Originally posted by Slide Rule
Why on Earth do you need an 80Gig hard drive?
80GB isn't that much. She may be looking for a desktop replacement, for example.

raging_squid

HSC
We have 2 laptops i use to be in a latop class at skool and my sista is in one now. i have a toshiba 1550 it was sucha ripp off the amount we payed for it and now its too slow so i only use it for assignments. On the other hand my sista has a toshiba portege (cant spell it), pentimum M its a good laptop stilll the prices that the skool charges are way to high. laptops are much better then pc's more convienent but it all depends on what you need it for i guess.

HSC
For uni as I travel away from home and have no pc access where I stay (Without taking a trip 1 hour each way to the uni) I purchased a second hand laptop for around the $1000 mark (Including extra battery and some other stuff). Prices have changed significantly since then, so this may be an option worth investigating, and you can get a much better laptop than I did for around this price.

Another important thing to realise is that second hand laptops are still covered by warranty if you buy them from somewhere respectable, and some places will sell them without an operating system, which will save you a moderate amount if you have one already.

If you're only after a laptop for uni, the specs you've listed seem marginally high, but then if you can find something that meets them for the price you're happy to pay then I guess it's not an issue :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)