Laptops or Desktops? (1 Viewer)

smushieex

HSC
My parents are getting me a new computer for next year, but I don't know which to get, a Laptop .. or a Desktop?

I'll just be using it for school work and surfing the net. I don't play games, so gaming isn't important.

Laptops:
+Will save enormous space on my desk. :)
+Mobility, so I wouldn't have to use it at my desk all the time.
- Apparently not as 'sturdy' as desktops?

Desktops:
+I've been using desktops since, so I'm pretty used to it.
+I like the whole separate keyboard and mouse thing.
+Monitor's bigger. haha.
-Takes up a lot of space.

Which do you guys recommend/use?
:)

laa.musique

Executive Member
HSC
LAPTOP. u can take it into bed and to watch tv and outside in the sun :)

jirwin

HSC
I recently had to decide whether to get a laptop or a desktop when upgrading. I've used a laptop as a main computer for the past 2.5years, desktop before that and desktop at school/tafe. I chose the laptop because I am able to take it to Tafe (rarely took it to school), which allows me to keep all my files together. Also the portability means i can move around the house, to my bed etc while still working and keeping warm/cool (especially in winter). Gaming was not an issue with me either and thought a laptop was much more suitable for me.

What I'm trying to say is, it is really only you that can make that decision, just take on the experiences of other people and see what you think would be most appropriate to your needs.

paralittic

Pirate
HSC
N/A
yeah i agree, laptops these days are not only significantly cheaper but also in some cases rivaling desktops in power. And as for brand, many people would probably flame for this but go dell.

HSC
I would still say that desktops are cheaper atm.. but not considering price, there is no real advantage to having a desktop

me121

Premium Member
HSC
want2bdifferent said:
yeah i do not see any real advantage to getting a desktop anymore
* you can upgrade parts easier.
* more customisability. usually with laptops there are set configurations and its not so easy to change, with a desktop you can choose the parts you want.
* you can pump better graphics cards/duel cards, more HDD's, etc.. into it.

Davo1111

HSC
N/A
A desktop with a 22" screen is about a thousand dollars less than a 15" laptop with the same specs.

I don't really think space is an issue. It sits on the floor at the end of your desk - doesn't take up much space at all.

If you decide to get a desktop, just buy a wireless keyboard and mouse. Most of the new ones (that are good quality) have a pretty good range and you can sit on the bed and type. (yeah it obviously depends how far you sit and where the reciever is placed)

Regarding your advantage/disadvantage thing, the only controversial things are size and mobility. So depends if you're actually going to take it around school/uni etc. Otherwise save the cash! If you need a type writier/wifi laptop, just buy an eee pc or something for $500. It won't do games, but for lectures it will wrk pretty good :)

(for the record i have a laptop, but it needs to be moved regularly). Thats just my $0.02

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
Davo1111 said:
A desktop with a 22" screen is about a thousand dollars less than a 15" laptop with the same specs.

I don't really think space is an issue. It sits on the floor at the end of your desk - doesn't take up much space at all.

If you decide to get a desktop, just buy a wireless keyboard and mouse. Most of the new ones (that are good quality) have a pretty good range and you can sit on the bed and type. (yeah it obviously depends how far you sit and where the reciever is placed)

Regarding your advantage/disadvantage thing, the only controversial things are size and mobility. So depends if you're actually going to take it around school/uni etc. Otherwise save the cash! If you need a type writier/wifi laptop, just buy an eee pc or something for $500. It won't do games, but for lectures it will wrk pretty good :)

(for the record i have a laptop, but it needs to be moved regularly). Thats just my $0.02
22" screens are pieces of shit with low resolutions. If you're going to go big, run a 24".

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
Protip: laptop + keyboard/mouse/external display = desktop.

breaking

paint huffing moron
HSC
but how would a laptop support a decent resolution for a 30'' monitor

chicky_pie

POTATO HEAD ROXON
HSC
Get a Asus EEEPC

Specs: 1000H Atom 1.6Ghz/80GB/1GB/BT/CR/Webcam/10 inch
$500.00 (or less where ever you go)

very small and neat, it can even fit into your handbag.

HSC
chicky_pie said:
Get a Asus EEEPC

Specs: 1000H Atom 1.6Ghz/80GB/1GB/BT/CR/Webcam/10 inch
$500.00 (or less where ever you go)

very small and neat, it can even fit into your handbag.
they are more then that... trust me i looked around.

get an MSI wind

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
breaking said:
but how would a laptop support a decent resolution for a 30'' monitor
By having a DVI port and a graphics card that's not a piece of shit?

sparkerasp

HSC
How about a desktop replacement Laptop. You get the good side of both worlds (but it's a lot heavier than a conventional laptop).

If I were you, I'd probably get something like the Dell Studio 15 or 17, or an Inspiron 1525 if you really wanted.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)