• I hardly ever use a laptop at Uni

Votes: 18 23.1%
  • I don’t use a laptop at Uni

Votes: 18 23.1%

• Total voters

sunny

meh.
HSC
They become useful during assessment periods and when you have ridiculously long breaks.

adamj

I think botha notepad and laptop would have their advantages. I suppose sitting next to a person typing, would annoy me as those little keys on a laptop can make annoying sounds. But then again you have nicely typed out notes, or then again you become too worried with font, or the screensaver and start losing concentration.

Also take into consideration, recording the voice of your lecturer is illegal.

Dingo

Banned
DAM
i was thinking of using a Mini Disc playa and just record the lectures, so i can listen to it again at home and take notes at home where its nice and relaxing.

peace^^

Ashleet

HSC
Originally posted by adamj

Also take into consideration, recording the voice of your lecturer is illegal.
if you got their permission (written consent) then could you get away with it? But then again having to listen to the same lecture twice..... i might not bother

Last edited:

jase_

Moderator Jase
HSC
I didn't know it was illegal, lol. Well I've never recorded lecturer's voice though.

s2ophie

HSC
Sorry for being so stupid but can someone tell me the difference between a notebook and a laptop???

I'm going to be living on college and they recommend you have your own computer because the ones they have a pretty crappy but do you think i would be better of getting a laptop/notebook or a desktop computer??

jase_

Moderator Jase
HSC
Desktop computers are a LOT cheaper, although if you want the portability of both home and uni use, then go for a laptop. A laptop and notebook are the same (just different terms used to refer to a laptop).

TheKey

HSC
s2ophie i would also recomend a desktop comp in your case as your living there so you dont exacly need the portability...

however if you were to purchase a laptop, rember that many will have approx 2-3 hours of battery time (generally p4-2/3Ghz ones.. ), also the bigger the screen the more battery gets used up. So if your getting laptop get either something with a centruino CPU or an apple ones which huy posted above. These generally have more battery time which will come very usefull.

If you dont need a top of the line machine, check out several auctions such as ebay, or even better 'grays online', i will be looking to get my laptop from there this tuesday...

s2ophie

HSC
thanks thekey. Portability probably is an issue because i will be coming home for holidays and things and would therefore need to bring work and stuff with me. (And also it means i can watch DVD's on the train lol)

and what exactly is a centruino CPU??

and do you have the address of grays online?

TheKey

HSC
grays online operate all over aus, some auctions are online but most you must actually go there to check it out..

their list of auctions is on "http://www.graysonline.com.au/allsales.asp"

as for the CPU, you said u need mobility, hence having a monster 3GHZ laptop would be a bit of waste, i myself am not exacly too familiar with centrino other then being the newest type of CPU which consumes little power. More detailed reviews could be found at "http://www6.tomshardware.com/mobile/20030205/centrino-18.html"

also for DVDs i think even a CPU of 700mhz could play them very smoothly, so a centrino of 1.3 or even just 1.0 (if there even is one) will handle it no porblem.

specialjenny

HSC
Laptop useful?

Hey all, first of all, congrats to those of you who got an offer that you like...I certainly did!:D

Anyway, I got a laptop as a "well done" pressie...and I am just wondering, if a laptop is any useful going to uni...

I am not leaving on a campus and I already have a desktop at home...do people actually carry a laptop to uni??

Cheers and thanks all...

While I am here, do students use like a folder at uni?? Or do people use like excerise books?? (sorry but I am clueless)

noneother

the Cho is great
HSC
Just remember to back up your files! Can't go wrong with pen and pad though, at least you know they won't get viruses.

Lhyviathan

2/cos C
HSC
Yeah, I'd take a laptop any day!

Hubba hubba!
*wink wink*
*nudge nudge*
*hint hint*
*giggle giggle*

*hangs head in shame at making such a bad pun*

You know, I've actually thought about this earlier... and I think it would be good IF you really detest writing (like me) and type faster than you are able to write (like me).

I suppose it'd also depend on the subject, because you might need to copy down diagrams with degrees like... I don't know... Archetecture, where a laptop may not be so useful.

Overall, I don't think you can go wrong by bringing a laptop and the usual pen 'n' paper. :)

Bob.J

ZoOm
HSC
plenty of people bring laptops to uni
But all they use it for is to have lan parties during their breaks, surf the net and downloads their notes uber fast and play games.
Never seen someone use it in a lecture. I say they're not that great considering battery power lasts for about 2-3 hours depending on your usage. Great for powerpoint presentations tho. Other than that I'm happy with a desktop with an lcd screen :)

specialjenny

HSC
Thanks guys....great...I don't know what to do with my laptop now...since I type slow, and I so prefer with pen n paper....

Guess I'll just chat on msn when I am bored then! :p

Slidey

But pieces of what?
HSC
Lhyviathan said:
I suppose it'd also depend on the subject, because you might need to copy down diagrams with degrees like... I don't know... Archetecture, where a laptop may not be so useful.
Tablet PC

jezmarelda

HSC
natstar said:
I personally could be fucked setting up a laptop in a lectuer. Too much mucking around. If ur battery is gone u need to sit where a powerpoint is, so u may not get a seat there. I think writing is easiest

do people get annoyed in the lecture theatre when ur typing away at ur laptop? is the noise very obvious :p

sunny

meh.
HSC
Not in a lecture theatre big enough to seat 500 people.

You can always type lightly.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)