laptop or desktop for uni (1 Viewer)

blackbunny

HSC
should i buy laptop or desktop for uni. im going to like in oncampus accomodations.

hfis

Dyslexic Fish
HSC
N/A
A laptop is much more convieniant, especially if you have limited space, but they are a lot more expensive (around $2500 for a 'decent' model).

Desktops can be a bit more cumbersome, but you can get a high-end machine for as little as $1000, which suits the budget of a typical uni student.

I say go with the desktop.

kalli

HSC
i agree... go with the desktop! i bought a laptop for uni and have only taken it once or twice.

if u do decide to buy a laptop, make sure it is VERY light. lugging a heavy laptop around sucks :( also if it ure uni has hotspots, make sure ure laptop has wireless :)

oh and also your back hurts if you spend ages typing on a laptop as you are usually looking down to the monitor. its not good ergonomics...

omg_a

HSC
i would say laptop because if you are living on campus, you often have to move everything out for all the holidays, which is a massive effort with a desktop.-4 times a year

lukebennett

Happy Member
HSC
im probably living on campus and im getting a laptop so i can take it home on weekends etc and fit more on my desk

jase_

Moderator Jase
HSC
I'd go with laptop if you want to take it to uni as well. You can then easily have all your files with you. If your doing a course that heavily uses computers, then laptop is the way to go. Otherwise, a desktop.

White Rabbit

Bloody Shitcakes
HSC
Laptop.

I got one for Uni, however I went on ebay for mine. Nothing too special, its an ld compaq armada 100s, but it's fast enough to run the net (533) and has a USB outlet for my ipod and a network card so I can use the school network, CD and Disk Drive. Nothing special, however it only cost me $350 incl. registered post from queensland and it arrived 2 working days after I paid for it. It does everything I need so Im happy.

I suggest trying a place like ebay if you're on a buget, you get some good deals.

Also, living in campus, rooms are crowded as it is, try and save a bit of space if you can ;)

S

Shuter

I just bought a laptop for uni (thank god I made it in :p).

Got it off eBay for $570 a IBM Thinkpad T21 - PIII-800, 384mb RAM, 30GB hard drive, DVDROM/CDBurner, extra battery, carrybag, mouse, the works.

It's in almost perfect condition too, so if you want something cheap and good, look on eBay for the used laptops, they're a bargain.

thaoroxy2001

Bored member
HSC
I was just wondering if u had a laptop and brought it into a lecture ..... wouldn't you annoy everyone when you're typing (like with the sounds of the keyboard)....coz I went to this mini lecture and i was trying to listen to the professor and this guy next to me kept typing and it was soo irritating!

sunny

meh.
HSC
thaoroxy2001 said:
I was just wondering if u had a laptop and brought it into a lecture ..... wouldn't you annoy everyone when you're typing (like with the sounds of the keyboard)....coz I went to this mini lecture and i was trying to listen to the professor and this guy next to me kept typing and it was soo irritating!
Sometimes. But in (alot of) lectures of 300-500 people its hardly noticeable.

poloktim

\(^o^)/
HSC
I say go for a desktop. They're cheaper, and often more powerful. Moving them can be a bitch, but then you've saved plenty of money anyway. You'll have access to the network then, and well with a more powerful computer, you can take advantage of that gift moreso than with a laptop.

Phanatical

Happy Lala
HSC
You'd have access to the network either way. With a lappy, I have access to the wireless network which is extra convenient - and as they increase coverage it can only get better.

It really depends on the course you're doing - for most degrees you probably don't Need a laptop (though it's really convenient) - but for some degrees they can be really useful. Like music, when we're doing electronic music concerts we'd have lots of laptops running things from the music itself to the visuals.

noneother

the Cho is great
HSC
Even though laptops are less powerful I doubt you'll really need that much performance. You'll mostly be surfing, file sharing, watching movies...and of course for studies. However if you are a gamer then go with desktop.

doe

HSC
N/A
id go desktop. moving them around is easy (like if you have to move out) and the more you do it the more you get used to it ... i dont think twice about rearranging my computers. desktops are much nicer to work on that laptops i find. or have the best of both worlds and get a laptop with a docking station so you can plug in a proper monitor/keyboard/mouse when you are studying in your room. over the years your eyes/back/wrists will thank you for it.

countrydude

hmmmmm
HSC
N/A
I might get that acer travelmate, its got those new mobile processors (light, long batt life) and the 1 im looking at has a dvd burner....1500....looks ok 2 me

lukebennett

Happy Member
HSC
there's this toshiba which looks good which is 1.5kg and lots of memory and is intel centrino but it cost about 3500. theres also this lg one which i like the look of.

alien

HSC
i don't know if i'll be able to afford to buy a new computer, i might have to just use my family's one. will that be possible though? does anyone else share?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)