• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Laptop for Engineering/Comp Sci? (1 Viewer)

hectic18

HSC
N/A
Hello!

I'm going to be applying for a BE (Civil/Mechanical)/B Sc (Comp Sci) double degree and I'm not sure if I should get a USB drive to shove into uni computers or if I should get a laptop.

How necessary is a laptop for Engineering or Com Sci anyway in terms of using it for actual lecture class "practical" work? (i.e. not note taking)

Is a free computer relatively easy to find at (inser name) university?

I hope that made sense....(its 1.43 am lol >< xD)

Cheers!

Last edited:

Evilo

HSC
I did a first year comp science subject @ anu this year. I have my own laptop, but if you're committed you could get away without one.

If you decide to get one - The only problem is that we used software used on ubuntu for our programming. there are Win equivelents, but sometimes it won't work when transferring between OS's. Tutes are run in computer labs with their special software.

You could probably go either way with this one, depending on your financial situation. I don't use my laptop in lectures (too distracting).

As far as Musk's comments go, take your laptop with you when going to the toliet. Apart from that don't leave it unattended. Its common sense.
However if you dont like the sound of that, invest in a good quality laptop lock. Then you can just chain your laptop to the desk while you go for that 2min toilet break. Having said that, ive heard of people's mice being stolen lol, so tight.

oh and yes a computer is easy to find at ANU. If you go into a common library, you have a rare chance of getting one. However your indivdual faculty may have a mini comp lab setup. At anu they even have an online system where you can see how many workstations are being used in which areas on campus.

gman03

HSC
Well I do Elec/Comp Sci @ UNSW, entering final year.

I would say a very cheap laptop will save you a lot of hassle in years to come.

Yes we have lots of computers available, but it doesn't help if you seem tonnes more using it to read Yahoo or MSN or to type Email. Not to mention situation is worst at our library computer section.

Sometimes you are really accustomed to certain programs which might not be available on the uni computer (for example, Photoshop... thou that doesn't concern me).

Having your own laptop means you are not subjected to machine kicking you out in the middle of the day when you're in "trance" mode solving assignments.
Also having your own laptop means if you download some PDFs from the net it will be on your laptop somewhere... Can't guarantee that with USB drives, for example.

So yeah, laptop is not a need, but I would recommend it. It is as feasible to get a laptop as getting a mobile phone.

Last edited:

Mumma

HSC
hectic18 said:
Hello!

I'm going to be applying for a BE (Civil/Mechanical)/B Sc (Comp Sci) double degree and I'm not sure if I should get a USB drive to shove into uni computers or if I should get a laptop.

How necessary is a laptop for Engineering or Com Sci anyway in terms of using it for actual lecture class "practical" work? (i.e. not note taking)

Is a free computer relatively easy to find at (inser name) university?

I hope that made sense....(its 1.43 am lol >< xD)

Cheers!
For computer science? Yes, get a laptop.

goony

i am here to ride bike
HSC
Just use remote access (putty, ftp etc) to access your uni computers from home, and work in the uni labs while you are at uni. :p

Seriously though, if you're going to get a laptop for comp science, try out VMware workstation if you need to work in a unix based environment...or just install ubuntu from the word go...

loser101

HSC
i always laugh at the pompus tryhards who carry a laptop around and even worse those who use the laptop to type lecture notes. i mean ok may for an english lecture, but for a maths lecture?

how the hell are you supposed to type in integral and all the other mathematical signs. and with all that typing i cant imagine them paying much attention to what is actually being said in the lecture.

end of day no you dont need one. its probably going to end up being a toy and wasting your time more than it saves you time.

Evilo

HSC
goony said:
...or just install ubuntu from the word go...
Agreed - Very easy to dual boot on a windows laptop.

loser101 said:
i always laugh at the pompus tryhards who carry a laptop around and even worse those who use the laptop to type lecture notes. i mean ok may for an english lecture, but for a maths lecture?.
Oh i agree, laptops are more of a distraction than an aid tbh

loser101 said:
how the hell are you supposed to type in integral and all the other mathematical signs. and with all that typing i cant imagine them paying much attention to what is actually being said in the lecture.
My old comp had software (added by my school) so you could just enter those things straight in. Very easy to use, build into word too.

gman03

HSC
Evilo said:
My old comp had software (added by my school) so you could just enter those things straight in. Very easy to use, build into word too.
Latex or MathType would probably be one of them

Evilo

HSC
true. I wouldnt do math on a comp anyway. Its just not practical. I won't do scientific pracs with a comp either.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)