labor movement?! (1 Viewer)

BAKALIWA

HSC
Hey yall.

I need major help regarding the Labout Movement. I've read a number of resources regarding it and i still dont get it. could someone please, in really baby terms describe it to me and then ill take those points further and read up on them.

thanks

bakaliwa

jest

HSC
um, this is from the top of my head so it might not be 100% correct. the labor movement is about gaining better working conditions for the working class and the political party in favour for it was the ALP. basically catholics supported the ALP cause they mainly made up the working class in Australia (as well as muslims, some methodists and some non-conformists). but communism became an issue within ALP so BA Santamaria (against communism), with the support of Archbishop Mannix (hence heaps of catholics) formed the DLP, which broke from ALP. the jews and anglicans weren't really into the labor movement cause they were already established (not really part of the working class). hope this helps

BAKALIWA

HSC
Thanks Jest. i was just wondering...is the term 'the labour movement' used to descibe the counter-movement BA Santamaira set up to fight communism in the ALP or is it the name of the working class movement?

from bakaliwa

jest

HSC
its for the entire working class movement. the Santamaria thing was just a pivotal part

priesty

formerly wm_abusef
HSC
the ALP was established to represent specifically the Trade Unions, but then slowly these Trade Unions began to have communist influences. Catholics feared communism because they saw it as the destruction of all established religion, hence the DLP was formed by those who split off from the ALP.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)