Labcoats and timetables (1 Viewer)

Ritaann

UNSW here I come... late
HSC
I got a hand me down labcoat from a cousin in Indo in where their high schools require lab coats and since she finished h.s ages ago... (where from my hs. we just put on goggles and hoped for the best... ) However, it has short sleves- (not to short but definatly not 3 quarter length on my arms) is this okay?

I really love hand me downs such as these and it would be a shame to have to buy a brand new one ...

*Also* ... our timetables are ment to only be a one weeker, right? as in, each week's classes are the same as the next and so forth? ...

Thanks a bunch for whoever has over come their *roll eyes* to answer my q's and drive away _some_ of my insecurities at missing o week.

Survivor39

Premium Member
HSC
I don't know whether it is ok for the short sleeves lab coat. I think it should be fine but just ask your demonstrators about it.

Timetable is the same every week.

Rekkusu

Currently: Away
HSC
Hmm not sure either about the labcoats at Unsw, though at my high school our demonstrators would all use long sleeve lab coats.

Additionally, um if you do spill acid or something, the first places are either your arms, or your feet/legs...

But don't worry, if you don't get a chance to ask about this during o-week, you can always ask your lecturer, in fact he/she should tell you what to buy during their first lectures + as survivor said there aren't any Chem labs functioning in the first week.

Last edited:

Ritaann

UNSW here I come... late
HSC
No labs first week? ... and I was looking forward to my first bio and chem labs next friday too...

Thanks a bunch

HSC
erm from what I know, there's no lab for chem in first week.. but I thought there's lab in first week for bio.... :confused:

rama_v

HSC
princesspurpleb said:
erm from what I know, there's no lab for chem in first week.. but I thought there's lab in first week for bio.... :confused:
Yeah it says that bio labs will be running first week..dont miss it! :D

kaitoufion

HSC
rama_v said:
Yeah it says that bio labs will be running first week..dont miss it! :D
You NEED to and MUST attend your BIO lab during your FIRST week!!!!!
BIO lab class is starting during FIRST week!

Please be aware not to mix it up with your CHEM class because CHEM lab class doesn't start until SECOND week!!!!

So:
BIO Lab: 1st Week
CHEM Lab: 2nd Week

Rekkusu

HSC
Additionally there are no tutorials in the first week, exceptions for certain Maths courses for first years!

t-i-m-m-y

HSC
Survivor39 said:
I don't know whether it is ok for the short sleeves lab coat. I think it should be fine but just ask your demonstrators about it.
Using a short-sleeve lab coat leaves your arms unprotected. It might not be okay with the demonstrators, it depends on the OH&S regulations. If you already have it, they might let you off, but its best to check, as Survivor39 pointed out.:)

Personally, I would recommend a long-sleeve labcoat, as you WILL spill/splash various chemicals and compounds on yourself and/or other students - it is inevitable, especially in first-year chemistry.

Survivor39

Premium Member
HSC
Yes, but it's not like your hands are protected anyway :D
Most of the time you won't be using gloves in chem.

Shiloh

HSC
The labs for BIO in the first week are supposely OH&S stuff and safety procedures in the labs.

Ritaann

UNSW here I come... late
HSC
kaitoufion said:
You NEED to and MUST attend your BIO lab during your FIRST week!!!!!
BIO lab class is starting during FIRST week!

Please be aware not to mix it up with your CHEM class because CHEM lab class doesn't start until SECOND week!!!!

So:
BIO Lab: 1st Week
CHEM Lab: 2nd Week
I wont ;) I'm the kind where, even if Ive been reassured online that there will be no tutes .. I'll go round looking for it anyways (lol... my insecure stupidity)

Ahhh ... why don't I just buy a new lab coat damminit....

Shiloh

HSC
I first yr CHEM so there are definately no Tutes for Chem in the first week?

Rekkusu

HSC
Yup, that's right. Well after attending today's lecture on Chem, apparently, higher Chem Tuts starts week 3, while labs + comp labs start in week 2.

Also, a reminder to students, you can also get your lab coat at the Chem student centre. Goggles can be bought at the optometrist shop, or at Union shop located in strand arcade.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)