Kramer is a cracker - Michael Richard's racist remarks. (1 Viewer)

onebytwo

Recession '08
HSC
Krama, from Seinfeld, let fly a barrage of racist comments at a couple blokes who interrupted his stand up comedy gig...

www.youtube.com/watch?v=UomfLKQr57U
(careful, make sure your volume isnt up too loud)

so what do you think?

justified or should he apologise?

Last edited:

Not-That-Bright

Andrew Quah
HSC
Kramer is a cracker.

What a washed up piece of shit. I think he was trying to be like George Carlin, only he's not clever at all.
I'm sure the heckler said something to aggrevate him, but comedians get that sorta shit all the time... the good ones handle it with some class.

The striking thing I find about his apology is that he's not saying it was a joke gone bad (as I would have thought) but instead that it was an angry outburst in response to a heckler. Much worse to lose your cool and start spewing racist crap than to have tried to be controversially funny and just failed imo.

I never liked seinfeld all that much... :p

Link to the Video
http://youtube.com/watch?v=kDXWk9dTX-I

http://news.bostonherald.com/columnists/view.bg?articleid=168325 said:
Time to Sein off on Kramer: Actor’s career goes up in smoke

Mel Gibson did his anti-Semitic tirade. Rush Limbaugh did an awful shake-like-a-bowlful-of-jelly Parkinson’s disease imitation. Fox-TV, until they canceled The O.J. Show yesterday, had murdered mothers in the cross hairs.

And now Seinfeld’s Kramer has done this crazed, five n-words in a row, “upside down with a (expletive deleted) fork up your (expletive deleted),” on-stage racist rant. It’s a mad dog, cringe-inducing, vitriol-thick meltdown that has to be seen to be believed.

What’s next? Seinfeld’s George Costanza attacking special needs toddlers?

And who could have predicted this in a million years from Kramer, beloved Kramer! Kramer with the Brillo hair sticking up and the two-tone brogue shoes and the loose shirt sticking out. Kramer who’d whirl into Jerry’s apartment in one careening yet seemless slide. Kramer, the weirdly lovable with the bubble baths, the Cuban cigars, the extra MSG on his Chinese food, the time he got even with the laundromat owner. “What’s the big deal? I’m just going to put a little concrete in the washing machine.” Kramer, the main delight and attraction, if not the star, of one of TV’s best shows ever, nine seasons, dozens of perect episodes.

“I don’t play Kramer,” actor Michael Richards once said of himself in an interview. “He plays me . . . It’s like I’m channeling him. I put on those shoes and the outfit and push my hair up a little, and he’s there.” But who is there, exactly? Was this stuff always percolating, unknown and unimagined? Will Kramer, like Mel, now blame the bottle, drugs, or Tourette’s Syndrome-in-extremis, and head for rehab?

“When I get drunk and do drugs I have sex with strangers and regret it in the morning,” says one local bachelor suspicious of the addiction-made-me-do-it defense. “I don’t turn into Kramer, the KKK years.” Meanwhile, like millions of Americans, here I am with my Seinfeld DVD collection, Seasons 1-6; with a dozen of the Channel 25 (7 p.m.) re-runs recorded on my DVR, right before “The Office,” right after “Sponge Bob.”

I can’t count the nights we’ve sat around relishing every Kramer raised eyebrow, every lunatic plot and plan, even if we’ve already seen it 10 times. But how can you ever revel in Kramer now? Or Seinfeld, period?
Perhaps this is the Seinfeld Curse, Part II. Part I: the show’s alumni, with the exception of Julia Louis-Dreyfus (Elaine), who won an Emmy this year, have not gone on to bigger and better things.

The Michael Richards Show lasted a mere eight episodes, from Oct. 24 to Dec. 19, 2000. Critics panned it; viewers stayed away. Since then Richards has appeared only in a made for TV movie, “David Copperfield,” an indie film I’ve never heard of, and, apparently, comedy clubs.

Seinfeld creator Larry David, star of HBO’s “Curb Your Enthusiasm,” based Kramer on a real person, Kenny Kramer, who gives tourists The Kramer Reality Tour of New York, $37.50. Stories are circulating now that a sympathetic David, routinely accused of racism by characters on his own show, will give Richards a chance to redeem himself on an episode he’ll write for Richards. Possible title: “Curb Your Racism.”
http://www.sootoday.com/content/news/full_story.asp?StoryNumber=21000 said:
Seinfeld star apologizes
(CBS News) NEW YORK Michael Richards, who played Seinfeld's eccentric neighbor Kramer on the sitcom "Seinfeld," publicly apologized Monday for racist comments he made during a stand-up routine.

Appearing on CBS's "Late Night With David Letterman," the actor spoke live via satellite from Television City, Calif., and fielded questions from Letterman, while in-studio guest Jerry Seinfeld looked on.

"For me to be at a comedy club and flip out and say this crap..." said Richards. "I'm deeply, deeply sorry."

A video on TMZ.com shows the actor, 57, repeatedly yelling racial remarks at a man who sat in the audience at the Laugh Factory in West Hollywood. It apparently happened after someone in the crowd said he wasn't funny.

"Fifty years ago we'd have you upside down with a f------ fork up your ass," he says while on stage.

"You can talk, you can talk, you're brave now motherf------. Throw his ass out. He's a n-----! He's a n-----! He's a n-----! A n-----, look, there's a n-----!"

Letterman asked Richards if he would have responded to the heckler in a similar vein if he had been of a different race.

"It may have happened," said Richards. "I'm a performer. I push the envelope. I work in a very uncontrolled manner on stage. I do a lot of free association -- it's spontaneous, I go into character. I don't know. In view of the situation and the act going the way it was going, I don't know. The rage did go all over the place it went to everybody in the room."

Richards seemed baffled by his own reaction on stage.

"I'm not a racist, that's what's so insane about this," he said.

The actor said that he went back to the club later that night and went on stage to "get back on the horse as they say." He said he apologized to as many people as he could after the incident, but some of the people he targeted had already left.

He added that he supports the people who complained to the press about his comments.

"They've gone to (the) press, as I think they should," he said. "I think it's important for the African-American community to make sure this kind of crap doesn't come about and I'm sorry that it happened.

"Having apologized, is there much more that you can do?" Letterman said.

"I just have to do personal work," Richards replied.

Seinfeld thanked Letterman for giving Richards an opportunity to speak publicly about the incident.

"I've known him many years, and I know how he works on-stage," said Seinfeld. "None of that justifies what happened. He's someone that I love and I know how shattered he is about this. And he deserves a chance to apologize, and that's all he wanted, and thank you for letting him come on."

The segment airs on "Late Show With David Letterman" tonight on CBS.

Edit: I merged the threads.

Last edited:

Some_Guy

HSC
looks like he is back in the spot light again after so many years.

frog12986

The Commonwealth
HSC
Re: Seinfeld's Kramer (Michael Richards) Racist Tirade

Personally, I couldn't care less..

Is this meant to be serious news?

If it were a negro comedian making racist taunts to a caucasion person (which of course is fairly frequent in performances by such people), it wouldn't be an issue..

bazookajoe

Shy Guy
HSC

If Dave Chappelle said it, it would have been comedic gold.

DeathB4Life

Bánned
HSC
the "fork in the ass" and "motherfucker" was uncalled for but i dont see what the big deal is. just seems like he was pissed off at a guy, swore at him and called him a nigger a few times.

im sure if there was any other person saying the same things in a slightly calmer tone then noone would really care too much.

Not-That-Bright

Andrew Quah
HSC
If it were a negro comedian making racist taunts to a caucasion person (which of course is fairly frequent in performances by such people), it wouldn't be an issue..
White comedians could also pull off making 'racist' comments, if they do it with style. Richard's admitted that he basically just lost his cool at a hecker, this wasn't a case of a joke gone wrong.

turtleface

HSC
DeathB4Life said:
the "fork in the ass" and "motherfucker" was uncalled for but i dont see what the big deal is. just seems like he was pissed off at a guy, swore at him and called him a nigger a few times.
I think its cause the word "nigger" is considered highly offensive over in the states, much more so than here.

If you call someone a "nigger" out in the streets most likely you will be shot.

frog12986 said:
agree

ur_inner_child

.%$^!@&^#(*!?.%$^?!.
HSC
DeathB4Life said:
im sure if there was any other person saying the same things in a slightly calmer tone then noone would really care too much.
What probably would irritate me the most is the fact that he lingered on the issue. Didn't really move on, so the professionalism just went down the drain.

What comes to mind for me are the various comedians that blew their head off but were able to move on and turn it into something. Bill Hicks (and he's pretty wordy) once yelled at someone at the audience, but was able to step easily away from it and go to the rest of the audience "Oh I'm so sorry you had to see that, oh God... I'm so sorry" and moved on.

What would affect me more (if I were in the audience) is that he pushed aside the audience and just continued to have his personal quarrel with an individual.

dieburndie

Eat, Sleep, Repeat
HSC
ur_inner_child said:
What probably would irritate me the most is the fact that he lingered on the issue. Didn't really move on, so the professionalism just went down the drain.

What comes to mind for me are the various comedians that blew their head off but were able to move on and turn it into something. Bill Hicks (and he's pretty wordy) once yelled at someone at the audience, but was able to step easily away from it and go to the rest of the audience "Oh I'm so sorry you had to see that, oh God... I'm so sorry" and moved on.
Are you talking about the "Freebird" thing?
I think the bigger difference was that Bill was actually funny when he lost his temper.
Richards sounded like an absolute idiot, not funny at all, and it seems to me there was racist intent behind it, people may slip with a couple of comments, but this was a two minute rant.
See, that's what irritated me about this the most, it wasn't funny.

Bendent

HSC

frog12986 said:
Personally, I couldn't care less..

Is this meant to be serious news?

key word is history.

members of the kkk are probably laughing right now.

Last edited:

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC

Bendent said:
key word is history.

members of the kkk are probably laughing right now.
That'd be applicable if they as individuals had been slaves, but they weren't.

Not-That-Bright

Andrew Quah
HSC

So if you're a jew, but not one that was put in a concentration camp by the nazi's, an insult such as "We should have just shot you jew motherfuckers and saved ourselves the gas bill" would be equal to calling a white person a cracker, or making fun of the way they dress/act/dance ?

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC

How many Jews use the words "We should have just shot you jew motherfuckers and saved ourselves the gas bill"? Do they make self referential statements wishing that their entire race had been exterminated in their music?

Not-That-Bright

Andrew Quah
HSC

Do they make self referential statements wishing that their entire race had been exterminated in their music?
Do blacks write songs where they say years ago black people would be tied upside down with a fork up their arse? People using colloquial language in a friendly manner towards each other is much different from using the words, while enraged, in an attempt to insult/hurt the person you're angry with.

Last edited:

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC

Not-That-Bright said:
Do blacks write songs where they say years ago black people would be tied upside down with a fork up their arse? People using colloquial language in a friendly manner towards each other is much different from using the words, while enraged, in an attempt to insult/hurt the person you're angry with.
In that case if he called him a cunt in order to insult/hurt him you'd feel the same way?

Not-That-Bright

Andrew Quah
HSC

No because it's not opening up a social/cultural wound. To bring up slavery as an insult to blacks is about on par with insulting someone's family imo. Do you think what he did was fine?

Last edited:

Bendent

HSC

withoutaface said:
That'd be applicable if they as individuals had been slaves, but they weren't.
so history means nothing?

Dimsimmer

Random User
HSC
I reckon that he is a racist based on what he has said. I think he has taken it too far and could have said something which wasnt as offensive and racist.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)