Knuckles (1 Viewer)

Niksta123

HSC
Is it bad to crack ur knuckles?

Is there any known health problems that can lead on from this?

Why do ppl crack their knuckles?

cuppas

Apprentice Mechanic
HSC
yes its bad

weakened joints

theyre silly

/thread

NinjaSauce

HSC
Please provide some evidence Cuppas.

I crack my knuckles, fingers, thumbs, wrists, elbows, shoulder, hip (Exterior, interior), My entire spine up and down, my neck, ankle, toes, knees, hell, anything. Technically my chest, but thats just tendons 'fliciking' accross my rib cage.

Provide a source. I'm doing fine.

MaNiElla

HSC
N/A
^ LOL, yeah...i also hear that it weakens your joints as you grow older.

tanjin

el oh vee eee ♥
HSC
I do it a fair bit as well, but only when my hands hurt.

My doctor said that in some cases people can get arthritis.

morganforrest

HSC
Yes it causes early onset of arthritis if not done properly (and when you do your knuckles you're not doing it properly) You're supposed to just release gas pressure in the joint but most of the time you end up grinding the cartlige against the bone, weakening it which will ultimately cause the bones rub together

et voila...arthritis

NinjaSauce

HSC
Because its word against word.

I'll be the first to attempt sources:

http://wiki.answers.com/Q/Does_cracking_your_knuckles_really_give_you_arthritis

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cracking_joints

Above mentions: A single event is not enough to cause damage to the joint, although there is a hypothesis that prolonged joint stress due to cracking knuckles may eventually lead to a higher risk of joint damage. The long-term consequences of this practice have not been studied thoroughly, and the scientific evidence is inconclusive. However, the common parental advice "cracking your knuckles gives you arthritis" is not supported by any evidence, but habitual knuckle crackers are more likely to have hand swelling and lower grip strength "

Perhaps i have lowered my grip strength - but guess what, you can train it. I'm willing to go out on a limb that my hands/grip are stronger than most here. Even then, its only "More likely". Doesn't say "sure does!".

Sanjiv Naidu, Penn State professor of orthopedics:
"Plain old knuckle-cracking should not cause any damage. It does not strain the ligaments or the tissues, or overextend them enough to cause arthritis," Naidu said. "It also should not cause joint weakness, on a long-term basis. Anatomically, physiologically and mechanically, there's no reason it should cause harm." http://www.physorg.com/news64162917.html

------------------------------------------------------------------------

I wish people would just stop believing whatever they hear from uninformed people.. Do some research for once most of the stuff people tell you everyday is a lie, gossip, or misinformed.

cuppas

Apprentice Mechanic
HSC
bah, you all had to get technical. im just going off what karl kru... dr k wrote one time in the weekend magazine lol.

rozymisty

HSC
Ive always thought that you can get arthritis if you do it all the time. Once or twice in a blue moon isnt probably going to do any damage, of course if you push too much on the joint you may break it but thats unlikely.

Chiropractors crack the spine and that releases the air pocket that has built up. It does help relieve pain, but mum believes its not good for you, and Im now seing a phsyio, who is helping a lot with massage rtaher than cracking. Both hurt as much as each other at times but yeah.

But yeah, dont crack your knuckles all the time...u never know

+Po1ntDeXt3r+

HSC
chiropractors' spine 'cracking' or spinal manipulation is dangerous not because it causes the noise but due to the proximity to the spinal cord..esp when done by some one with little exp.

it doesnt actualli hurt.. i do it to my neck now and then... and my knuckles.. its just noone knows the medical repercussions.. its prolly not significant.. since i didnt learn it on my rheumatology unit lol

^CoSMic DoRiS^^

makes the woosh noises
HSC
i crack my knuckles all the time. once one of them got inflamed coz i did it constantly so i stopped for a while. but its just a nervous habit ive never broken. especially because when i feel like i need to crack my knuckles i cannot rest until i've done it. /OCD

ZJ NingNing

HSC
its like, you get used to doing it and you start cracking them when you dont even realise that you are doing it.

My doctor said that in some cases people can get arthritis.
that's what I heard as well. I guess you will just have to restrain yourself from doing it and after several days the habit will start going away.

Partisan

HSC
N/A
pattii said:
i was told it was air pockets in the ligaments.
You're more dangerous than cracking knuckles, you fuck so hard you crack cocks and knuckles when someone attempts to fist you. =]

MaNiElla

HSC
N/A
ZJ NingNing said:
its like, you get used to doing it and you start cracking them when you dont even realise that you are doing it.
Yeah, thats what happens to me :rolleyes:

Last edited:

wLym

HSC
the current theory is that cracking knucles does not cause athritis (as commonly believed) but in later life, leads to weaker grip, etc as it weakens the ligaments or something.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)