KL interpretations?? (1 Viewer)

NoOb_ceNtRAL

HSC
hey fellow BOS'ers
i have an assessment task on interpretations of king lear
so i was just wondering wat ur idea of the interpretations are
i know there is feminist, marxist, freudian, family drama, aristottlean. (am i missing any??)
thanx

(P.S me = noob :p (newbie)!)

goan_crazy

Hates the waiting game...
HSC
absurdist and as said above nihilistic
them two can fit together with peter brooks production

kami

An iron homily
HSC
N/A
There is also the comedy of the grotesque, I personally did feminism and nihilism.There is also Bradley's character deconstruction, which is basically the groundwork for all the other readings. But you should be aware that practically any school of thought can and has been applied to King Lear over the ages.
As for postmodernism :

duesexmachina said:
Jean-Francois Lyotard: postmodernism is..."incredulity towards all grand narratives."

Yes, it's as simple as that. I believe that trying to encapsulate postmodernism that easily is absurd - because it's really a blanket statement for a movement that includes deconstructionism, existentialism, French phenomenology, linguistics, semiotics, and philosophy. It's not pseudo-philosophical, it's supra-philosopical. Or, as my entire class stated again and again when we did speeches on the damn thing: "Postmodernism's really hard to define."

If you treat postmodernism as a destructive force ONLY, you'll get along just fine. Just don't try and see what it puts in place of modernism. Besides, I fundamentally don't believe that postmodernism is a 'rejection of modernism' - I think it's simply a refutation of belief in an absolute. It's like Umberto Eco said (all you 2005 pomo kids take note - good quote coming up) "I have come to view the whole world as an enigma; a harmless enigma that has been made terrible only by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth."

Perhaps in our fragmented, discursively-pluralistic world, postmodernism is simply a more accurate depiction of the true state of events.

Last edited:

goan_crazy

HSC
NoOb_ceNtRAL said:
and does anyone know a critic for nihilist and family/psychological??
peter brook-nihilstic/absurd
family-richard eyre

NoOb_ceNtRAL

HSC
my assessment says " approaches taken by 2 critics ...reference to their articles/essays". do u think i can use productions as articles/essays? or do i have to find actual articles by famous critics (which there are none of on da net, waste of time) :confused:

goan_crazy

HSC
*Scarlet said:
How about feminist and marxist?
peter brook-nihilstic/absurd
family-richard eyre
i was saying those
feminist and marxist had already been said

Samie_Loo

quacktacular
HSC
hey does anybody have any nihilistic views to help me... or know of any websites?

silvermoon

caffeine fiend
getting the blood out of my caffeine system
HSC
NoOb_ceNtRAL said:
my assessment says " approaches taken by 2 critics ...reference to their articles/essays". do u think i can use productions as articles/essays? or do i have to find actual articles by famous critics (which there are none of on da net, waste of time) :confused:
check with your teacher, but i would say definately no. the whole point of the question seems to be to look at CRITICS, who, we assume, are analysing the productions. if you just take the productions you change the whole question

goan_crazy

HSC

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)