King Lear (1 Viewer)

D

dude431

I posted here because the Module B forum seems quiet.

One of the main criteria for King Lear:
Demonstrates sophisticated/clear understanding of the ideas expressed in the text.

What ideas should we talk about? How should we link them to interpretations/productions?

D

dude431

The ideas are the interpretations?

So we don't need to look at the text itself, in terms of the characters, themes, morals of the text, etc.?

Misturi

[Studying...]
HSC
Sorry l can't help with your question, but where did you get that question from?

D

dude431

Eh, I made it up?

If you were refering to the criteria, its from the examination marking scheme for all Module B essays.

Misturi

[Studying...]
HSC
Sorry, yeah the criteria is what l meant...

l don't like that one, if l had that in the hsc exam l would just sit there blankly.

malkin86

HSC
Well, what are the ideas that are expressed in the text? And is that in the text as in the written down version, or as in expressed through the readings?

bluechilli

always thought those themes are part of a traditional/leavasite reading... where it involves close critical analysis by considering the themes and literary devices.

becky_baby

i think what they mean about ideas is the theories that lie in the text "ie u need to be blind before you can see.. mad before you learn reality, and a fool to be wise. then theres the 'wheel of fortune theory' in that bad things happen, then come good fortune, and then back to bad things again (of course its more complex than that).. then these theories are either supported or argued against in different readings,, ie a feminist reading will say these theories only relate if your male (ok thats not a very good example but u know what i mean).. THEN different productions also support/ arge against these theories and they also develop their own theories (this could be because it is aimed at a modern audience) dont forget its not just about the readings and productions.. u also have to look at context in EVERYTHING!!.. when certain plays were created (ie who their audience were and how they would respond as opposed to an elizabethian audience etc).and all that jazz. hope ive helped

D

dude431

becky_baby: You're suggesting themes from the text, in other words? i.e. theories = themes.

bluechilli: That's what I'm thinking... do you do King Lear?

malkin86:
And is that in the text as in the written down version, or as in expressed through the readings?
That's kind of my question. Whether we need to discuss the text itself.

Guys, I think I'll call the advice line to get confirmation on this. I'll post up here what they tell me.

silvermoon

caffeine fiend
getting the blood out of my caffeine system
HSC
dude431 said:
The ideas are the interpretations?

So we don't need to look at the text itself, in terms of the characters, themes, morals of the text, etc.?
when i said ideas, the things you've listed are what i meant. ok, sorry, i didn't explain myself very well. as usual. anyway, under the new HSC, the module we're doing for King Lear si not close study of a shakespearian text. ie, its not the same thing as you would have done last year and in previous years where you looked at, say Othello, as Shakespeare's play. this module is focusing on different interpretations of the play. so, when you look at themes, motifs etc, you want to be looking at how different playwrights or movie directors have taken those themes and used them to put their own slant on the text (whether they did a feminist, humanist, psycholanalytic etc.)
on reflection, i dont know if that made my original bit any clearer at all. oh well, i blame too much study. makes you tired and not very eloquent!

D

dude431

That's what my teacher said. It does bring more clarity to your point however. Thanks for your input.

Out of curiousity, how many hours of studying are you doing?

silvermoon

caffeine fiend
HSC
me? is that question on study for me? oh well, im gonna answer even if its not! heh. how many hours? ummm, before the first english exam i should have done between 45-50 hours of english and another 5-10 before the second one.

mittens

HSC
dude431 said:
I posted here because the Module B forum seems quiet.

One of the main criteria for King Lear:
Demonstrates sophisticated/clear understanding of the ideas expressed in the text.

What ideas should we talk about? How should we link them to interpretations/productions?
ok so demonstrates sophisticated / clear understanding of the ideas expressed in the text... ok so u need to know about what ur talking about... i hope i didnt just loose u! lol ok so if u understand the text ur referring to then u'll understand the time the text was created in... you'll understand the message the producer from shakespear to ian holm were trying to portray and keep in mind, shakespear was no great inventor of his works, he simply appropriated old stories and brought them to italy. notice how most of his works are set in italy? it was designed to appeal to his audience at that time... he was also an actor in his works so if u want to work from that information and any other u can gather on the net or whatever then you'll be able to back up your claims on the meanings of each interpretation u might choose to quote... try learning a little background info on the text and you should naturally find yourself providing a sound understanding of what's going on naturally! hope that helped... :)

D

dude431

50 hours for english? .... Man I'm gonna flunk english then :p

tina_goes_doo

Pharmer in Training
HSC
That's silvermoon for you. By the time we get to ancient history, she would have done over 60 hrs of history revision. And me? I won't be studying ancient until the week before the exam. She's going to kill the HSC...

I should've done ESL. I'm not smart enough for english advanced. Doo.... :(

silvermoon

caffeine fiend
HSC
dudes, i may be doing lots of study - but thats just going to make it more embarassing when i fail all my exams!!! at least if i didn't study i could have said "Oh, but i didn't study, so i went quite well for that amount of effort...". *sigh*
tina: don't bring my personal ancient life into this! nooooo.

how many productions of king lear is everyone going to talk about?

D

dude431

i fail all my exams!!!
I don't know you, but with that much study, I highly doubt you'll even come close to failing.

EDIT: 2 productions... thought you were talking about something else.

Last edited by a moderator:

frazzle

HSC
are you using a production to back up each reading? i'm doing that... and i have 2 each! how can you fit anymore in and still have detail!? and let's not forget personal interpretation.

i might talk about more readings breifly, but no more productions. why do i write so slow!?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)