King Lear (1 Viewer)

Misturi

[Studying...]
HSC
I haven't started it, but we will be starting it next term.

I am not looking forwards to it at all - is it just typical shakespeare?

I bought the Excel handbook for king lear as well - hopefully that will help me.

Misturi

[Studying...]
HSC
I understood Othello, only once l saw the movie, Keneth Branagh (however you spell it) is a GREAT actor.

dezzy

HSC
yea, ive finished king lear...*clears throat...1st in ass. task!!!*

i didnt like it, but once you get the general feel for it, it is pretty understandable...

GOOD LUCK!

keepin_sanity

I did King Lear last year, and just READING the play isnt enough!!!
I'm assuming that the syllabus is the same as last year, and that you have to compare different productions, so I would DEFINATELY recommend that rather than just gathering notes about productions off the net, to watch a screen production, or even better, see a live performance (even if your school wont organise it...go on your own!), because thats were I got most of my understanding from. From actually seeing it PERFORMED! Before that I had absolutely NO idea!!!! Also by actully seeing performances, you get a first hand look at the techniques that different directors use, etc, which is a very important component of your essays!

~TeLEpAtHeTiC~

Aesthetically Challenged
HSC
i'll giv u guys a finger puppet version of the king lear through a jungian psychoanalytic reading with a strong feminist perception
tickets are $100
its well worth the money
meet me in the alley by the dumpster
hope to see a big turnout :)

dezzy

HSC
Originally posted by keepin_sanity
I did King Lear last year, and just READING the play isnt enough!!!
I'm assuming that the syllabus is the same as last year, and that you have to compare different productions,
where can i find this syllabus?
i need it!!
plz help!

cheers deezy+:apig:

kimmeh

Sleeping
HSC
when i did taming of the shrew in year 11, my teacher reccomended us to get one of those study guides where they give you a run down of the play in english. i read one chapter of the actual play, and then i would read in parallel with the study guide. the study guide was really there to give you a "feel" of whats going on in the play-so i recomend that :)

abdooooo!!!

Banned
king lear was great... such a sad story though... tragedy. :(

hey whats with that Edgar guy? he is like a super hero... he is so cool :cool:

my favourite part in the play was the plucking of Gloucester's eyes... the unseen eyes gave him moral insights to the real characters of his sons. :)

= Jennifer =

HSC
how can you think that is the best part of the play? i thought that was slack poor Gloucester.

Edgar how is he a super hero? i think he is more of a weirdo who would disguise himself as a madman (Tom O' Bedlam) and he tricks his father (gloucester) into actually believing he is someone else and not his son

abdooooo!!!

Banned
Originally posted by = Jennifer =
Edgar how is he a super hero? i think he is more of a weirdo who would disguise himself as a madman (Tom O' Bedlam) and he tricks his father (gloucester) into actually believing he is someone else and not his son
hahaha... nice intepretation... but when he revealed his true identities he ended the poor Gloucester's life. :(

Gloucester was a foolish old man just like Mr King Lear, the stripping of the eyes has opened him to a new and more accurate perception of the people around him, thats why i think it was a great part of the play. another scene that i loved is when King Lear kneels before Cordelia in penitence... so sad. :(

= Jennifer =

HSC
abdooooo!!! i think we better stop discussing the plot as people might not have finished it and want to finish it without the story getting wrecked for them...

Tenille

the one & only
HSC
Im starting it tomorrow yay. ive got the excel study guide as well, read a scene on the play and then a bit of the guide to make sure what im thinking is what im reading. that makes no sense oh well

abdooooo!!!

Banned
Originally posted by = Jennifer =
abdooooo!!! i think we better stop discussing the plot as people might not have finished it and want to finish it without the story getting wrecked for them...
what do you mean? hahaha... i just made that shit up... i never even read the book :p

nickw...

HSC
N/A
into actually believing he is someone else and not his son
I took this as a weakness is glouster as a father (shouldnt parents be able to see their childeren no matter the disguise?), can soemone just jog my memory please...who leads glouster to the cliff so he can kill him self? is it Edgar, tom (disguised edgar), or someone else?

I am ment to be re-reading it in the holidays, but after this thread i think i may wait until i get a study guide of some sort before i start reading again.

abdooooo!!!

Banned
of course gloucester was a weak fool... thats the whole point. gloucester and king lear are suppose to be parallel in foolishness. :p

well it wasn't a cliff... its just some hill i think... its edgar in disguise of course. ;)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)