king lear productions (1 Viewer)

t-i-m-m-y

HSC
i went to a hamlet production sorry bit off topic it was at opera house playhouse by bell shakespere i recommend it to anyone doing hamlet

marsenal

cHeAp bOoKs
Originally posted by DC10
yeah i am going to the Genesian Theatre production... has the Bondi one ended? i think it ends soon...
yeh Bondi ended yesterday

I just realised there's like 4 separate King Lear threads- must mean most people are doing it

Last edited:

PG5

HSC
i went to the Genesian Theatre yesterday night!

i was sitting in the front row seats with my friends... we were covering ourselves from the actor's/actress' when they got close to us.

It was funny because at around the beginning of the play, Lear was acting tough and in doing so, spit came out of his mouth. Hahaha, landed on this bald guy. lol.
n the smoke... omg... sooo much!
but overall, it was pretty good! since i haven't finished reading the book, it got very interesting in the end.

so yeah, one advice, don't sit on the front row seats!

marsenal

cHeAp bOoKs
What sort of production is the Genesian one? Like what sort of reading is it? Also how long does it go for?

PG5

HSC
i'm not sure what kind of production it is, what perception is takes.... i haven't critically analysed it. All i remember was Edmund, he was the 'slutty' type.

how long?
it went for a total of 3 and a bit hours.
1.5 hrs for part 1
15 mins interval, break....
another 1.5 hrs for part 2

Nose Bleed

ex-loser
HSC
N/A
DOES ANYONE HAVE ANY NOTES FOR THE BONDI PRODUCTION OR A VIDEO PRODUCTION I CAN GO HIRE OUT?

DC10

Re: Re: king lear productions

Originally posted by marsenal

I just realised there's like 4 separate King Lear threads- must mean most people are doing it
Sure is, in my school alone there's like 4 classes of King Lear

johnson

a lack of colour
HSC
Originally posted by mlagana
DOES ANYONE HAVE ANY NOTES FOR THE BONDI PRODUCTION OR A VIDEO PRODUCTION I CAN GO HIRE OUT?
dude which bondi production are you talking about? the one last year? I made some notes on that it's on the BOS site, if u can't find it pm me I might still have it in the ole computer somewhere..

iambored

dum-di-dum
HSC
APPARENTLY there's one in a month.. but i'm not 2 sure coz i myself havent heard bout it.

yeah, there is 1 in aug, if u wanna know details post here n i'll get bak 2 u with them, the only prob is that it is after the trials so i'm not sure if it'll b 2 useful.

the genesian 1 was pretty good, ... the nite i was there the guy spat on the other's face as well!! he must b gettin a good shower! and yeah, the smoke was 2 much.

it was still in the old shakespearean language, but the costuming and facial makeup would have been different 2 what they had in the day i think. we havent talked about it in class yet 2 actually c what it all means!

iambored

dum-di-dum
HSC
Originally posted by mlagana
there's a BBC video production u may b able 2 get ur hands on

Nose Bleed

ex-loser
HSC
N/A
its to late. i'm doing bondi, and i hvae to do an essay on possible values in King lear in both text and production

i was thinking

INTRO

POWER (me theme)
a/ text
b/ production

FAMILY (critical reading)
a/ text
b/ production

CONCLUSION

buuttt what i'm not sure about is DO i need to at all relate POWER AND FAMILY??? or is that scaffold sweet?

imsooverskool

theres a fire in my pants
HSC
hey mlagana!
um there is a russian communist production that is really good if u need to watch an extra one, sorry i have no idea where u could get it. the bondi production was crap, how hillarious was the guy who was playing edgar in the hovel scene- i almost cracked up, actually i did but quietly. Personally i wouldnt want to use that prduction but the wheel of fortune thing was good. Hasnt ur teacher shown u some different production in class on video. ooh wait i just remebered there is a richard eyre production of lear which is a family.psychological one, its really good. i tried to help but more than likely it didnt right? oh well...

Nose Bleed

ex-loser
HSC
N/A
yeah we watcher about a 1/3 or the eyre one because of substitutes but i have no notes on it. But if someone has notes ide be happy to use that even though i havn't seen it hehe

yeah i hate how fat edgar beat edmund up in the end, just looked so stupid

MiuMiu

Somethin' special....
HSC
My best firends sis was in the Genesian theatre production. Hehe not that anyone cares thats just my 2 cents

madamoshalot

the Genesian Reading

I am replying to the person who asked what the Genesian reading is. It is actually quite mixed up. They sort of stuffed it up for us a bit because they presented so many little aspects that didn't develope. So I have been told by my teachers not to pay any attention to that produnction and concentrate on the Bondi pavilion which is said to be a feminist reading with the concentration on mysogony and The 1960's Peter Brook Production. The Peter Brook reading is an absurdist interpretation.

Does anybody know any good sites for King Lear essays? I cant find any that explore the different readings of King Lear. Im stuck with the intro!

MiuMiu

Somethin' special....
HSC
The Genesian theatre one was a traditional reading. One important thing to note though was that it put Lear in the light of a fool. Some productions portray hims as a smart man who was just screwed over by his daughters whereas the Genesian says he did it to himself

madamoshalot

Genesian Theatre production

There are elements of it being a tradional text but unfortunately they are not carried out throughout the play. So just a warning for anybody thinking about focusing on the Genesian's representation, it was puzzling and useless (also said by English staff from a few schools that I know about). There are other texts which can be critically analised with greater results. There were conflicting readings such as family, homosexuality, feminist, oriental and traditional that appeared in the Genesian Theatre .... very confusing!

But has anyone got sites for essays referringto the many critical studies of King Lear? Please Please PLease!!!!! Or has got an egsample of an intro for me???

Thanks

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)