King Lear - NIHILISM or REDEMPTION? in Eyre/Kozintsev (1 Viewer)

frazzle

HSC
Would you say Eyre and Kozintsev presented King Lear [particularly the ending] as nihilistic or redemptive? and why?

any ideas would be greatly appreciated!

Tammie

In my opinion both films represent a nihilistic ending as they offer not reasons for redemption or an opomistic outcome to the events. In Eyre production the audience is left to contemplate the bodies of all the memebers of Lears family on stage ( i think it was eyres production) and thus conveying that the once royal family is gone, and the royal bloodline destroyed. The foucus of Kozintev's productionis basicly that the king ans the ruling class treat the working and lower classes horridly and they are poor/ misrable etc. portrayed many images of peasants walking. At the end although Edgar and Alabny will know rule, the order and social heirachy is still in place and life for the peasants will still be the same....

I hope that helped.....

Have you watched both productions, if you have may i please have notes off you from kosintevs coz i dont have many ... you can send them to tam_me24@hotmail.com or just post them

silvermoon

caffeine fiend
getting the blood out of my caffeine system
HSC
speaking only on eyre here: the family is trundled off together in a cart at the end - however, just because they are dead DOES NOT constitute nihilism. for the ending to be nihilistic there must be a sense that nothing had a purpose - not just that there death had no purpose but that their life didn't either. it's not a redemptive ending certainly - but its not nihilistic either. eyre does attempt to show that the filial bond between Lear and Cordelia has been repaired, and even the fact that the whole family is on the one cart adds to the theme of the importance of the nuclear family unit. Eyre shows the importance of these bonds and that, even with death, these bonds are still in place. So, no, the ending is definately not nihilistic.
just out of curiousity, why do you ask? a nihilistic reading is not one commonly imposed on eyre's production - more common being domestic and psychoanalytic.

ladyzee

yes thts what i thot about Eyre's. i understand tht its a domestic play looking at family ties, it starts with the royal family together at a table, and ends with them together... does tht sound rite??

frazzle

HSC
hey thanks, i'm doing eyre and kozintsev, and yes, i am doing the family and marxist readings, but i also wanted to talk about them in a different light - kind of trying to tack on those two different types of readings at the end, and show that they actually don't fall into any category, but i wasn't sure abotu that, so i came onto here for advice. thanks again =)

Living_Legend

I am also doing Eyre. I was wondering what the significance of the rooms being completely red is. It must mean something but i dont quite get it. I figure it all goes white/grey/black later on cos there is a lack of warmth/kindness to the place, but why is it all red?

nickw...

HSC
N/A
Yeah i thought passion too. I doing eyre' / brooks.

C

coca cola

Am I the only one here who doesn't understand what nihilistic or redemptive means? Which subjects do you learn terms like that from? I'm sure I've never came across this type of words before in English until today.

Woody87

Final Scene in Eyre's production

Does anyone have notes just on what happens in the final scene in Eyre's production? i watched it a long time ago and now i cant find mine. Im using Eyre as a family drama and Brook as absurdist.

jumb

mr jumb
HSC
coca cola said:
Am I the only one here who doesn't understand what nihilistic or redemptive means? Which subjects do you learn terms like that from? I'm sure I've never came across this type of words before in English until today.
Then you have a crap teacher.

Redemption: They try to redeem themselves, they are sorry for their mistakes.
Nihilistic: as said above: for the ending to be nihilistic there must be a sense that nothing had a purpose - not just that there death had no purpose but that their life didn't either.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)