King Lear HSC06 question (1 Viewer)

Leosec

HSC
hmmz..dere seems to be alot of arguin goin on abt whether KL Question is gona focus on readings, themes or productions..

Ive heard some news that KL is gona be more focus on readings..and movin to themes also

ive also heard my teacher said that 'production' isnt so important ..well of coz unless the qestion specifically asks u abt production...but she told me..dat she is heard that the Board of studies..r havin meetins on whether KL will focus more on readins or move on to themes..

any suggestion on wat Question would KL focus on ?

o btw..judgin by the past hsc questions..i can see that KL has move from production to more on themes also...readings and productions seem to be fadin away.. ( note: i mite be wrong -_-" )

wat do u guys think ?

passion89

HSC
Leosec said:
hmmz..dere seems to be alot of arguin goin on abt whether KL Question is gona focus on readings, themes or productions..

Ive heard some news that KL is gona be more focus on readings..and movin to themes also
My teacher has also said that there has been debate over whether students are only regurgitating and not actually analysing the text individually. This idea has been brought up several times in the media and this is why some teachers might think that there is a movement away from productions and more on your own reading. However, this does not mean that you should totally omit productions from your studying and notes. As LottoX said, they can throw anything at us and in the end it really doesn't matter.

ane_st

HSC
Module B: Critical Study of Texts

This module requires students to explore and evaluate a specific text and its reception in a range of contexts. It develops students’ understanding of questions of textual integrity.
Each elective in this module requires close study of a single text to be chosen from a list of prescribed texts. Students explore the ideas expressed in the text through analysing its construction, content and language. They examine how particular features of the text contribute to textual integrity.They research others’ perspectives of the text and test these against their own understanding and interpretations of the text. Students discuss and evaluate the ways in which the set work has been read, received and valued in historical and other contexts. They extrapolate from this study of a particular text to explore questions of textual integrity and significance.Students develop a range of imaginative, interpretive and analytical compositions that relate to the study of their specific text. These compositions may be realised in a variety of forms and media.

They can ask us about anything in this syllabus..... And as you can see 'others perspecticve' means productions... So just beacuse they havent asked it recently it doesnt mean they cant be specific....

~shinigami~

~Summer Song~
HSC
I'm a bit confused. In Yr11 Critical Study, all we needed to do was the write briefly about critics and then an indepth reading (feminism, psychoanalysism etc) and a personal reading.

I just want to know what it's like for Yr12. Do you need to discuss readings and productions or is it only when they specifically ask about productions that you need to write about it

So let me get this straight, it could be an essay on:

1. Readings
2. Productions
3. Themes
4. Readings and Productions
5. Readings and Themes
6. Production and Themes
7. Readings, Productions and Themes

Wow, that's a lot to prepare for and it's only one fo the modules. Scary.

P

pLuvia

You have to discuss readings and productions, and how those productions relate to the interpretation you have chosen eg Feminist, Marxist etc. And also you need have your own reading

bboyelement

HSC
remember to read the rubric evaluate the text’s reception in different contexts
which has been in all hsc questions i believe... so yeah productions are still there and always will be..

Your class has been exploring the question, ‘What will continue to make King Lear worthy of
critical study?’
Your personal response has been challenged by another student. Defend your response through
a critical evaluation of King Lear, analysing the construction, content and language of the text.

‘Interpretations of texts can shift and change with time and place.’
Considering your time and place, reflect on the ways in which context has shaped your critical interpretation of the prescribed text.
In your response, refer to TWO extracts from your prescribed text.

just note in both the recent hsc ... it had asked for your own interpretation.

melllyy

HSC
nowhere in the syllabus (and my teacher has told me a million times) does it say anything about productions. if you write your whole essay on the production you wont get anywhere, because this module is about the actual TEXT - KING LEAR nothing else. it says evaluate so that obviously says that is one requirement,also we have to talk about its textual integrity another requirement and also context (range of contexts - even todays), also we must talk about the audience. People can choose to decide to write about productions, but are really wasting their time because if they are going to be added only a maximum of 2 sentences should be used, because as i said and so did my teacher this module is about THE TEXT and its context where as module a and c are about THE CONCEPT.

ane_st

HSC
melllyy said:
nowhere in the syllabus (and my teacher has told me a million times) does it say anything about productions. if you write your whole essay on the production you wont get anywhere, because this module is about the actual TEXT - KING LEAR nothing else. it says evaluate so that obviously says that is one requirement,also we have to talk about its textual integrity another requirement and also context (range of contexts - even todays), also we must talk about the audience. People can choose to decide to write about productions, but are really wasting their time because if they are going to be added only a maximum of 2 sentences should be used, because as i said and so did my teacher this module is about THE TEXT and its context where as module a and c are about THE CONCEPT.
They research others’ perspectives of the text and test these against their own understanding and interpretations of the text.

what does others perspective mean then???

But i agree its more about the text and then how people percieve the text...

zeek

HSC
ummm... what does everyone mean by their own interpretation?

melllyy

HSC
other perspectives meaning other contexts.
Im not saying dont write about productions, but my teacher and all other teachers at my school said to us so many times that you dont need to write about productions. Someone could write an essay all on productions and it is really good but then someone writes about context - the person with context will get a higher mark because that is part of the marking criteria.
anyway its up to everyone what they want to add in their essay

bessie

HSC
I've had it drilled into my head that where not to use "I" when writing essays. But in the syllabus It asks to compare with others understanding and interpretations of the text with our own.

So when we are explaining how we believe the text should be interpreted, should we say that "it is my belief that this Shakespeare's true meaning...." or should we simply state it as fact ie. "This Shakespeare's true meaning.."

In my trial i did just state it, and the marker said i didnt explain my own interpretation. Mabye I didnt make it clear enough, but yeah I'm a bit confused about what they want.

bessie

HSC
To answer my own question. I just rang the "HSC Advice Line' and he said its not really an issue either way so yeah....

ane_st

HSC
melllyy said:
other perspectives meaning other contexts.
Im not saying dont write about productions, but my teacher and all other teachers at my school said to us so many times that you dont need to write about productions. Someone could write an essay all on productions and it is really good but then someone writes about context - the person with context will get a higher mark because that is part of the marking criteria.
anyway its up to everyone what they want to add in their essay
Other context is mentioned in the following line. 'Other perspectives' means different readings.

orange_blob

Caveman
HSC
bessie said:
I've had it drilled into my head that where not to use "I" when writing essays. But in the syllabus It asks to compare with others understanding and interpretations of the text with our own.
That's what I always thought but reading the notes from the markers for the 2005 AOS essay (not Lear, but the same thing would apply) I found this:

Candidates were asked to make a personal judgement
The question invited candidates
to use the personal 'I' and many used this approach very effectively.
So it looks like using "I" is alright if it is appropriate for the question - and since your writing about your own understanding, with Lear it mostly would be.

P_Dilemma

Extraordinary Entertainer
HSC
it better not be a blody feature article or a speech...

-P_D

bessie

HSC
interesting jeffro, interesting indeed.

Yeah the dude on the advice line said that it was a little old fashioned to restrict students using "I" etc. But then again he also said that it may sound more advanced not using it.... so yeah i dunno. It would be encouraged if it was a different texyt type like a speech.

~shinigami~

~Summer Song~
HSC
So these "different perspectives" are readings e.g. Marxist, Feminist, right?

I've never thought that you needed to write about different productions until I looked at the boredofstudies site so I'm kinda confused again.

orange_blob

Caveman
HSC
The different readings are different persepectives, and so are the different productions.

Generally you can say that so and so's production is a marxist reading or whatever, referring to the production allows you to use specifc examples of things, and each production is going to be different perspective even if they use the same basic reading.

- At least I think that's the idea.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)