King Lear- Assessment Speech (1 Viewer)

*Baby-K*

HSC
Hi everyone,
I am stuck on a question for my 6 min recorded speech assessment that's due on 10th. I have no idea how to approach it, even though I have a pretty good understanding of the text and good notes I just can't string it together. Any help will be highly appreciated :shy:

Fool: Can you make no use of nothing, nuncle?
Lear: Why, no, boy; nothing can be made out of nothing.

Write and record for a popular amateur podcast, a talk entitled 'What I've Made Out of Nothing'. Your talk should explore how Shakespeare's script treats the notion of nothingness and should point to the relevance of his treatment for your worldwide listeners in 2008. You can assume that your audience is very familiar with King Lear.

Thanks in advance guys!;)

seano77

Walk On
HSC
Th whole idea of 'nothing' in the play can be linked to a nihilistic reading (see link). Make sure you use the question, especially the bit about 'What I've Made Out of Nothing' as this involves your personal reading of the play.
Probably also important to talk about Shakespeare's audience compared to 2008- how individualism was beginning to emerge and how he tried to comment on it by setting the play in a secular, pre-Christ society despite his audience being mostly Christian.
Link the idea of 'nothing' to the convoluted nature of relationships, Lear's madness, nature and the role of values.

Good luck!

*Baby-K*

HSC
"The whole idea of 'nothing' in the play can be linked to a nihilistic reading (see link) "

Thanks for that, it helped, however I asked my teacher about readings today and she said that apparently we are not looking at readings yet- which sort of confused me again!!!:angry:

Thanks for your help

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)