Kind of confused about mature age, please help. (1 Viewer)

ashleypage

HSC
So I recently decided that because I have basically no idea what I want to do, I'm going to attend uni at 21 as a mature age student.

I've always wanted to go to Sydney Uni, and checking their 'Mature Age Scheme' brochure, I'm kind of confused. One of the things that makes you ineligible is if you "have achieved results from high school that would enable you to gain university admission".

I really really don't understand what they mean there?
Halp =[

EDIT: Also, just from a glance, it seems like it's kind of hard to get mature age into USyd, but maybe less hard for UNSW? Is this true at all?

Last edited:

juggernaut

HSC
Hey Ash. To be elegible to study under the mature age scheme you need to meet certain criteria, such as being over the age of 20 when your study starts, have no tertiary record AND no results in your HSC (or equivalent) that are capable of getting you into university. usually this is anything below ~60-70. So if you have a UAI of 70, unfortunately you are not eligible to study under the mature age scheme as you have the ability to get into university already.

Mature age schemes run by the UNSW and USYD are pretty equally regarded. One doesnt have more of a chance getting in with one Uni's pathway or the other. In fact, the entrance courses run by both universities are accredited at both uni's, so you can sit the mature age prep course at USYD and then apply to UNSW, or vice versa.

This is good because the prep courses differ somewhat between the two universities. I studied the UPC (university preparation course) at Sydney University. You basically need to study a set of subjects relevant to your course in interest. These are prerequesites to be accepted into your chosen degree, and are listed in the mature age handbook. So for example, to get into a bachelor of Exercise and Sport science, i needed to study the UPC science course and the UPC maths course. These two subjects are the norm for any science based degree usually. If you wanted to do something humanties based, you most likely will be studying say psychology or philosophy and something else.

The UNSW prep course is a little different. For my course, which is a science degree, you needed to sit what they called "the science stream". Oddly, this doesnt involve any science in it. All you do is sit a maths stubject, and a compulsory study skills subject along with it (how to write essays, seminars, do research, etc etc). You may think this will be easier pathway than sitting two full-on subjects (science and maths), or you may think this may underprepare you by not sitting a science course, its at your discretion.

Either way, they are pretty much equally regarded. Id probably choose the prep course at the university you want to actually study at. Although, as mentioned, this is not a requirement as both prep courses are recognised at both universities. There are ofcourse other methods of getting in mature age, such as the limited uai and the TPC, but they require alot more hours (they are pretty much full time). UPC is great in that its only a few hours per week - you can live your life, work etc while studying and having a second chance to get into uni.

if you want to know anything else, feel free to ask

juggernaut

HSC
Er okay, i just read one of your posts and it said you had a UAI of 85. When you say "mature age", do you actually mean your going to defer for a few years and then come back and study when your older? Getting in via the "mature age scheme", and "having a capable uai but not wanting to study until older" are two very different things.

jackmurray1989

Mr Mature
HSC
Without reading juggernaut's post, I'll summarize.

Your UAI will last you for life (or at least as long as the UAI system is in place). If you're come back when you're 25 years old and want to apply for a degree you can just use your UAI. The mature age student system is just for people that didn't do well in school/didn't finish etc.

ashleypage

HSC
Holy crap I never knew this? They never really told us much about it I guess, assuming most of us would just go this year or next.
So basicallly I can't apply till 21, but when I do it's just like if I was going on from year 12 right?

I feel so tarded =[

juggernaut

HSC
Um, you can apply whenever the hell you feel like it considering you have an eligible uai - ie, over 70. you dont have to wait until 21 - i was referring to the "mature age entrance scheme" when i said that, which is completely unrelatted to what you want to do. The mature age scheme which requires waiting until 21 is for older people who have never met the criteria to get into university, and want a second chance to go to, you just want to defer. your mixing the two up

lizziegirl

HSC
N/A
another option to consider is UWS -- lots of mature aged students there

antisheep

HSC
Just as a quick side note... I really don't know much about mature age entry... but someone said your UAI lasts a lifetime... that's not true. it "expires" in UAC's eyes after 5 years, unless you've been studying a degree all along and using your uai along with uni results to transfer... so generally mature age students are over 23 cos their uai has expired. I know this cos my brother went through all of that when he went back to uni.

juggernaut

HSC
fOR3V3RPINKKKK said:
Mature Age Scheme at Usyd is really aimed at those who have only a university prepation course and are over 21. If you have achieve a UAI back in high school your rank will be determined from that but you can still apply. You can find more information here: http://www.usyd.edu.au/fstudent/undergrad/apply/mature.shtml

Usyd doesn't have many mature aged students according to the Good University Guides compared to other univeristies which could be explained by the system Usyd uses.
No, you CANNOT apply under the mature age entrance scheme if you have a UAI.

Doesn't have any mature aged students? Thats why about 300 people sit the UPC each year. Not to mention other mature aged students using non-UPC paths such as the limited UAI or the TPC

Your information is really incorrect.

Evilo

HSC
Ashley - if you've got a 'good enough' uai, apply this year, then just defer admission. Therefore it guarantees you a place for the year after*.

*i think this is the case for most unis

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)