key features of germany (1 Viewer)

annaroonie

Hi, I'm feeling confused about the second dot point in the germany syllabus.....
"characteristics of relative stability in the period 1924-1929"
I just don't think I really understand what they mean.
Can anyone help??

Buggdogg

HSC
N/A
*you just got to keep mentioning relative to what
*before 1924- november revolution, signing of diktat, attacks from right (kapp and beer hall putsch), invasion of the ruhr, hyperinflation.
*after it (ie- 1929-32) political instability, rule by presidential decree (bruning and papen), economic collapse and unemployment.

* there r 2 views of the period 1. favourable one that germ was thriving until depression
2. it was superficial stability and there were serious undercurrents of discontent and probs that would have collapsed weimar even without the depression.

*superficial stability-
*economic recovery based on the dawes plan 1923 a double edged sword- making germany reliant on foreign loans for prosperity
* stresemann's fullfilment policy seen as capitulation to the allies by some german's
*foreign policy success- locarno treaty 1925, ensured that a repeat of ruhr invasion didnt happen by guaranteeing western borders but it deliberately left eastern borders unresolved
*social liberalism seen as decadence and despised by conservatives
*unstable democracy: 5 diff govt's during the period
* influential instiutions like judiciary were lenient towards old imperial system and tried to undermine weimar

hope that helps in some small way cos im pretty sure that's what u have to talk about.

annaroonie

Yeah thanks. hey can i ask a stupid question? whats the difference between a democracy and a republic?

Buggdogg

HSC
N/A
republic= no monarch like the queen. we elect an australian head of state rather than have our queen as it.
democracy just means that the people have the right to vote for their govt, so in australiaour democracy would be electing lil johnny howard or whoever.

sorry if that's a really stoopid sounding answer

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)