Kevin Rudd 'me too-ism' on Malcolm Turnbull on Twitter. (1 Viewer)

chicky_pie

POTATO HEAD ROXON
HSC
STATUS update: Kevin Rudd is playing catch-up.

The Prime Minister today joined the social networking service Twitter, following in the footsteps of Opposition Leader Malcolm Turnbull.

Mr Turnbull began using Twitter four weeks ago and instantly became one of its most influential Australian users.

At 1.30pm today the nation’s leader posted his first “tweet” expressing his enthusiasm in using the micro-blogging service, saying he was “Looking forward to communicating with you on Twitter”.

Mr Rudd already had 301 followers and was following 105 people as of 5.05pm today.

His Twitter account could be a direct attempt to keep up with the Opposition Leader’s online popularity.

Mr Turnbull has scored a #30 spot on the draft list of Australia’s Top 50 Twitter Influencers and has 1139 followers on his Twitter.

Both Mr Rudd and Mr Turnbull also have their own Facebook and Myspace accounts.

Mr Rudd has over 24,469 Myspace friends, with Peter Garrett listed as his "top friend".

His Twitter account comes with the launch of a new website – www.kevinpm.com.au which is also being promoted on his MySpace account.

The new website "picks up where Kevin07 left off" and is all "part of keeping in touch" by encouraging dialogue between users and the Government.

http://www.news.com.au/technology/story/0,25642,24641496-5014239,00.html
Rudd can never create his own ideas.

bigboyjames01

Banned
HSC
lol at rudd. who cares anyway? GWB is leaving and obama doesn't give a too hoots about a mere 20million people who actually think they can influence anyone on the world stage.

both party leaders needs to get a grip.

Trefoil

One day...
HSC
N/A
Um, actually, Obama does very similar stuff to this. You should look up Obama's campaign 'ground game' sometime. He's still using it now; there's little indication he's going to stop once he becomes president.

Remember that politics is half marketing. And picking up services like Twitter and Facebook are good marketing moves.

It's also healthy for the democratic process. But you don't believe in democracy, so whatever.

wikiwiki

Fear and Trembling
HSC
This rubbish isn't direct democracy, and certainly it isn't healthy. They are pretending to be 'listening' leaders instead of engaging in robust and thorough public consultation.

Will Shakespear

mumbo magic
HSC
wikiwiki said:
This rubbish isn't direct democracy, and certainly it isn't healthy. They are pretending to be 'listening' leaders instead of engaging in robust and thorough public consultation.
i dunno, all the stupid handouts seem like exactly what you'd get if you asked random members of the public what the government should do :D

Trefoil

One day...
HSC
N/A
wikiwiki said:
Um, no, I'm pretty sure it's supplementary, not a 'replacement' at all.

The web can be a very effective communication and organisation medium (as the Obama campaign showed), especially for grassroots efforts. I don't know how well Rudd or Turnbull are using it, but it's silly to automatically write such efforts off.

I never did get the point of Twitter, though.

wikiwiki

Fear and Trembling
HSC
Obama has not made any substantive policy announcements, and his internet campaign has consisted of people using a false appeal to authority (being a celebrity) telling Americans to vote for Obama because he eats Hope for breakfast.

It's a very good technique for elections, but it isn't good for democracy. In a real democracy, an election should be the least important measure a citizen takes in contributing to his Government. ANU has a lot of interesting research on democratic theory.

Democracy by participation, not by ballot box!

Scissors

HSC
jordan, your posts have lost all merit because of your avatar. i preferred the wiser looking avatar.

incentivation

Hmmmmm....
HSC
N/A
It doesn't connect them with the electorate at all. Some know all staffer manages the page, providing the usual government spiel. I'd be suprised if either leader actually peruse the site personally.

HSC
Umm, wasn't it the Labor party which began this move with myspace?

Oh fuck that was funny, I remember some ditz on Howard's myspace page saying that 'Rudd was ugly'

This other bloke wrote a massive comment to Rudd outlining how unfair graduate pay is for teachers.

Iron

Ecclesiastical Die-Hard
HSC
How undignifed.
Howard would never have done this

HSC
Turnbull seems quite genuine on his account, and appears to be personally doing it by himself.

chicky_pie

POTATO HEAD ROXON
HSC
AsyLum said:
What's Twitter?

It just a site thats dedicated to updating your status or w/e you're doing/thinking. Think as like facebook's status update, expect this site is dedicated to people updating w/e they're doing.

I'm thinking of registering a twitter, and write love poetry to Turnbull :)

Progressive

HSC
The only thing Malcom Turnbull is in touch with is he's electron's in the bank...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)