Kevin Rudd announces Maximum 15pc emissions cut by 2020 (1 Viewer)

HSC
Rafy said:
Lindsay Tanner just lost his seat.
Yep this decision will (at least temporarily) spur the rise of the greens. It will be interesting to see if the pseudo coalition between the Greens and Labour is fractured as a result of this decision...Although I suppose if Labor keeps to the left of the liberals there's nowhere else green preferences can flow...

Lentern

HSC
Enobarbus said:
the right thing to do for australia would be to have no cuts in emissions at all, and to do away completely with this costly carbon-trading scheme being proposed

even if australia stopped producing greenhouse gases completely, it would make almost zero difference, on a world scale.

so why should we jeopardise jobs and economic growth at home just to appease greenies, when other nations are - very rightly - putting their people first? sorry if i sound unintellectual, but i think at the end of the day, having a job, and being able to put food on the plate ranks far more highly than being able to sign on to a worthless piece of paper - like the Kyoto Protocol

we should always put country first
Oh dear lord. No, to the power of infinity no, put the human race first. Country first, for the love of god what a nationalist whackjob, your time past forty years ago.

Enobarbus

HSC
N/A
Lentern said:
Oh dear lord. No, to the power of infinity no, put the human race first.
Why? Did the entire human race elect our Government, and pay their salaries? The Australian Government's job is to put Australia first.

aussie-boy

HSC
banco55 said:
What they don't mention is that the only way you'd create a large number of jobs in the alternative energy sector is through massive government subsidies and onerous regulation.
thats not true

with a proper carbon trading scheme, you raise the market price of coal power until it matches that of renewable energy

once everyone has made the switch, technologies will improve until they exceed the current cost efficiency of coal - in the meantime the greenhouse tax revenue protects the vulnerable sectors of the economy and speeds research even further

the only cost is a temporary rise in living costs

sdent40

HSC
aussie-boy said:
once everyone has made the switch, technologies will improve until they exceed the current cost efficiency of coal
Yea cos whenever the govt forces a switch to a given product, the use of that product automatically becomes more efficient than the previous one thanks to the govt making it compulsory. U actually end up getting more for less

Last edited:

badquinton304

HSC
Enobarbus said:
Why? Did the entire human race elect our Government, and pay their salaries? The Australian Government's job is to put Australia first.
If there is no human race there is no government or australian people there to put australia first, is that so difficult to understand you fool. We all have a common problem therefore we all need to acknowledge our common intrests on this issue and tackle it together. Global problems need global solutions.

sdent40

HSC
badquinton304 said:
We all have a common problem therefore we all need to acknowledge our common intrests on this issue and tackle it together.
Yea right on man, we all have a common interest so that's why we need to be made to do it by the govt. Cos when you have a common interest and the govt doesn't unite the people, it wouldn't get done

Lentern

HSC
Enobarbus said:
Here's a novel idea, because our morals and ethics compell us to? Or rather should. It is unspeakably selfish and conceited to advocate for feathering your own nest policies when there is climate change, aids and famine doing what they are doing to other nations at the moment.

sdent40

HSC
Lentern said:
It is unspeakably selfish and conceited to advocate for feathering your own nest policies
Yea being selfish is wrong, everybody should only seek to serve other people at all times.

Lentern

HSC
sdent40 said:
Yea being selfish is wrong, everybody should only seek to serve other people at all times.
When the difference for you is whether or not you can put a new sound system in your car and the difference for them is whether or not they lose two children to starvation you bloody well better believe they should.

sdent40

HSC
Lentern said:
When the difference for you is whether or not you can put a new sound system in your car and the difference for them is whether or not they lose two children to starvation you bloody well better believe they should.
Nobody should ever engage in teh evil capitalist pig notions of division of labour and exchanging goods. Everybody should simply survive on charity alone.

latinorulz

HSC
putting the environment ahead of the economy?

...is Rudd aasking for a cockmeat sandwich?

badquinton304

HSC
sdent40 said:
Nobody should ever engage in teh evil capitalist pig notions of division of labour and exchanging goods. Everybody should simply survive on charity alone.
He is not saying that we should give up all but sandals and a tunic. You have just shown us that your mind thinks in black and white, you clearly have no understanding in the way of finding the equilibrium.

Graney

Horse liberty
HSC
I wonder how history will remember Rudd. Mr Inbetween? Trying to satisfy every interest.

sdent40

HSC
badquinton304 said:
He is not saying that we should give up all but sandals and a tunic. You have just shown us that your mind thinks in black and white, you clearly have no understanding in the way of finding the equilibrium.
Yes, attacking me will solve your problems. When you say 2+2=4 you're correct, but when I say 2+2=4 I'm incorrect cos apparently I'm a lesser person than you are.

Nebuchanezzar

Banned
HSC
I saw some industry bitch on the news before saying that this was a "fantastic balance"

fckng lol

Kwayera

Passive-aggressive Mod
HSC
latinorulz said:
putting the environment ahead of the economy?

...is Rudd aasking for a cockmeat sandwich?
Big fan of those, aren't ya buddy? :rolleyes:

badquinton304

HSC
sdent40 said:
Yes, attacking me will solve your problems. When you say 2+2=4 you're correct, but when I say 2+2=4 I'm incorrect cos apparently I'm a lesser person than you are.
My problems? If I am attacking you then I do so for my amusement.
You completely misunderstood what I said. I am saying that you think in black and white (hopefully you at least know what that means) because you suggested that lentern rejects "exchanging of goods" simply because he dared to think in the big picture. There are forms of government that adopt a free market and a social conscience you know. Extremes never work (pure capitalism or pure communism), take a look at most of the 20th century.

boris

Banned
HSC
Nebuchanezzar said:
I saw some industry bitch on the news before saying that this was a "fantastic balance"

fckng lol
some scientism dude yesterday said that this was actually a huge cut because of the fact it was based off 2000 levels or someshit and in reality its like 20% cut?

Kwayera

Passive-aggressive Mod
HSC
boris said:
some scientism dude yesterday said that this was actually a huge cut because of the fact it was based off 2000 levels or someshit and in reality its like 20% cut?
Nah, I think he means per capita (and on a per capita basis, it's pretty big). Still, we can do better.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)