Keigo (1 Viewer)

nandayo

ismist
HSC
This is probably going to be a two or three post thread, but still...I really need to know.

I've looked through the vocab and grammar lists for Continuers, and can't find reference to keigo anywhere. A Google search brings up some marking things from past beginners papers, but no reference to Continuers.

So, no need to revise/remember keigo for Continuers, eh? Yes, No, Maybe?

MangoAvocado

HSC
Just "desu/masu" form is fine. No need for the full blown keigo schtuff that you usually learn if you continue Japanese in uni.

They're looking for whether or not you understand the basics behind the link between culture and language [it should be stated somewhere in the depths of the syllabus] (e.g. not saying 'ohayou' to a teacher, the difference between 'chichi' and 'otousan', using neg. form when politely inviting people to places 'ikimasenka' and of course not mixing casual and polite speech!).

Expressions like "irasshaimase!", "gomeiwaku wo kakete gomennasai" are sort of set phrases and it's ok if you use them (you might even get brownie points for authenticity, who knows?!) but don't get too hung up about "keigo verbs" like 'irasshaimasu', 'ukagaimasu' or 'meshi agarimasu' if that's what you're worried about.

Well that's my opinion anyway, you might want to also clarify this with your teacher.

zangetsu.xo

BANGSAT LOOO
anywhere with a bowl of rice and chopsticks in han
HSC
well said mangoavocado. well said.
just to reiterate, in continuers you don't need to know keigo i don't think.
just remember to use polite form always.
if using plain form remember to only use it when saying something like "suru koto", "iku tsumori" etc.
ganbarou!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)