Keep or drop 4U Tutoring (1 Viewer)

DaisyMeRolling

HSC
I rant a lot in this post sorry but not sure where else to post it.

In my earlier post I talked about whether to pick up 4u tutoring (in year 11 rn) and I ended up picking it but at that time I was going through some issues that affected me mentally so I haven't been focusing on my 4u tutoring specifically and didn't spend time doing the h/w in between the classes. After that I was just lazy and prioritised my school work and other tutoring and basically didn't spend time to revise and focus on my content. It's not roughly 8 lessons into complex numbers and I basically only have the understanding of 1/2 lessons. Everything is extremely confusing and I can't ask my tutor for advice/ help because I know what he'll say and will definitely berate me for not doing my H/W (it is my fault and I fully understand and also severely regret).

A bit of a rant skip the paragraph if you're not bothered.
If you were to ask me a year ago if I were to pick up 4u I would've 100% said no but I think it was due to my fear of regret and mistakes as well as a bit of selfish thought I ended up choosing the class. I keep thinking to try and stick with the class for as long as I can but I am completely confused and I have no resources to help me through the question (studying off the cambridge book) but I think back if I were to stick with 4u what if all my efforts pay off and I actually manage to catch up and do well in the class but then again I think if I would be willing to study 4u in Year 12 and drop another subject (which I really don't want) and also sit the HSC test? No. I find 3u is my limit where I have a good mix of hard and easy questions. Part of the reason of keeping 4u is to basically say I've done the hardest HSC course and it would help me a bit in uni (either want to do engineering or med) and I can also tutor kids with 4u. Also to make my parents proud of me. I flonked my 3u test last term and got 52% which I know is because I didn't study properly and I know 100% I can achieve a 70-80% at least. I don't understand when I catch up and also when I'm in the class but I'm too intimidated to tell my tutor I want to drop or discuss to him about it because it's a bit complex but he would 90% say for me to drop based on what I tell him. I know my limits and choosing 4u is a bit strange.

There are so many reasons for me to drop 4u but I still stay in the class in hopes that if I study hard and truly try my best then I can catch up and do well. I don't know if I should drop the class right now or try it out until the term ends, which is about 4 or 5 more lessons and think really hard.

Life'sHard

HSC
Uni Grad
4u in yr 11 rn is early af. I reckon you can chill out for now and pick up 4u tutoring later down the line when you’re more confident and diligent with your studies.

That being said, I know you’ve mentioned mental issues, but if it’s mainly laziness I recommend you make a change immediately because studying is a rhythm that you should fall into by the time yr 12 comes around or else ur doomed to underperform.

mmmmmmmmaaaaaaa

HSC

In my earlier post I talked about whether to pick up 4u tutoring (in year 11 rn) and I ended up picking it but at that time I was going through some issues that affected me mentally so I haven't been focusing on my 4u tutoring specifically and didn't spend time doing the h/w in between the classes. After that I was just lazy and prioritised my school work and other tutoring and basically didn't spend time to revise and focus on my content. It's not roughly 8 lessons into complex numbers and I basically only have the understanding of 1/2 lessons. Everything is extremely confusing and I can't ask my tutor for advice/ help because I know what he'll say and will definitely berate me for not doing my H/W (it is my fault and I fully understand and also severely regret).

If you were to ask me a year ago if I were to pick up 4u I would've 100% said no but I think it was due to my fear of regret and mistakes as well as a bit of selfish thought I ended up choosing the class. I keep thinking to try and stick with the class for as long as I can but I am completely confused and I have no resources to help me through the question (studying off the cambridge book) but I think back if I were to stick with 4u what if all my efforts pay off and I actually manage to catch up and do well in the class but then again I think if I would be willing to study 4u in Year 12 and drop another subject (which I really don't want) and also sit the HSC test? No. I find 3u is my limit where I have a good mix of hard and easy questions. Part of the reason of keeping 4u is to basically say I've done the hardest HSC course and it would help me a bit in uni (either want to do engineering or med) and I can also tutor kids with 4u. Also to make my parents proud of me. I flonked my 3u test last term and got 52% which I know is because I didn't study properly and I know 100% I can achieve a 70-80% at least. I don't understand when I catch up and also when I'm in the class but I'm too intimidated to tell my tutor I want to drop or discuss to him about it because it's a bit complex but he would 90% say for me to drop based on what I tell him. I know my limits and choosing 4u is a bit strange.

There are so many reasons for me to drop 4u but I still stay in the class in hopes that if I study hard and truly try my best then I can catch up and do well. I don't know if I should drop the class right now or try it out until the term ends, which is about 4 or 5 more lessons and think really hard.
I was in a similar situation to you roughly a year ago, complex numbers was tough to understand but I think that has to do with how abstract it is. In the end, I ended up keeping it and doing reasonably well.

I even struggled with 3u tbh

carrotsss

HSC
I’d say drop the tutoring for sure, if you’re already that far behind there’s no point learning ahead at tutoring, you might as well just wait and learn it at school like everyone else, and you can do tutoring in year 12 anyways. You don’t have to decide whether to commit to 4u yet, I only really decided in term 3.

Eagle Mum

HSC
N/A
I flonked my 3u test last term and got 52% which I know is because I didn't study properly and I know 100% I can achieve a 70-80% at least. I don't understand when I catch up and also when I'm in the class but I'm too intimidated to tell my tutor I want to drop or discuss to him about it because it's a bit complex but he would 90% say for me to drop based on what I tell him. I know my limits and choosing 4u is a bit strange.
If you are going to continue to invest in tutoring, I’d suggest consolidating everything you should know in Yr 11 (advanced & extension) before tackling Yr 12 content. For a start, make sure you fully understand every concept related to the marks you lost on last term’s 3U test, because you need a good foundation in order to develop understanding of more complex maths concepts.

DaisyMeRolling

HSC
I’d say drop the tutoring for sure, if you’re already that far behind there’s no point learning ahead at tutoring, you might as well just wait and learn it at school like everyone else, and you can do tutoring in year 12 anyways. You don’t have to decide whether to commit to 4u yet, I only really decided in term 3.
ig it's a bit confusing but basically this tutoring I've been going to for a long time said if we wanted to do 4u in yr 12 he's going to teach it this yr (prepare us ahead yk) so yeah I didn't choose to attend a 4u but kinda I was attending a 3u yr 11 and he says if u wanna do 4u then join the class now.

HSC

Me and quite a few people ik started 4u rlly early (like in yr 10) and the start can be very confusing at first, but if u just stick through it and grind out a bunch of qs, you should be fine. Although Complex I is prolly one of the easier topics in 4u, it could be difficult especially if u don't have a good previous understanding of vectors and if ur a bit rusty with aspects of geometry, so i think it'll be a good idea to revise ur 3u and even 2u topics.

ExtremelyBoredUser

Bored Uni Student
HSC

large post for a large question:

If you plan to pursue undergrad mathematical sciences or engineering, you'll probably struggle since there's no actual "tutoring" institution (as i am aware of) and most of the learning is EXTREMELY EXTREMELY independent. I've found that most of the 4U content I've learned has been glossed over and only extended in my experience of T1 and time management to be extremely vital.

Regardless if you drop tutoring or not, I highly suggest you aim to break free of the mentality that "tuition -> good performance" because that makes you dependent on it. I'm all for tuition, if you feel you need it to survive 4U and get through HSC, go ahead but just know that eventually you have to become independent in your studies.

I guarantee you, most of the improvement in maths, comes from pure grinding and just understanding concepts. If a tutor can help fasten that process, by all means go for it, but just know that there's no easy way out and even the best students have to grind.

Your issue is that your main focus is on making your parents proud but you're not fully organised or motivated inferring from "Also to make my parents proud of me. I flonked my 3u test last term and got 52% which I know is because I didn't study properly and I know 100% I can achieve a 70-80% at least.". I'll just say this is a mindset issue and no amount of tutoring will fix this, you just have to work on yourself.

From this, I see you're going through imposter syndrome in that you assume that you're incompetent for 4U which I have to strongly oppose since 4U is one of the only subjects in the HSC to reward you generously for effort and persistence,

but I'm too intimidated to tell my tutor I want to drop or discuss to him about it because it's a bit complex but he would 90% say for me to drop based on what I tell him. I know my limits and choosing 4u is a bit strange.

First, I want you to start making changes to how you study as in your attitude to maths and more pragmatism in how you attack your assignments and work load. When you are more confident in yourself and your capabilities, and you can see a change, you should think about dropping your tutor, for now just try utilising his help. Feel free to keep me updated in PMs or everyone else in the thread. This hits home hard since I've had this type of mentality and even though I haven't exactly went through your experience, I can give personal insights.

TLDR;
I really do think that people who have the passion and strive are often deluded into this sense of incompetence which prevents them from going further than they can. While it is possible that you might not just be set out for 4U due to a range of factors (as you listed), I think it helps if you come to this conclusion when you are at a more confident stage than of now. I don't know you, could be wrong af, but just want to give a hand just in case.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)