Keep Maths Extension? (1 Viewer)

mike12345678

HSC
hey guys,

ive just got back my extension 1 paper it was the independent paper. i dont know if i should drop it or not?

i got 44/72

my first exam was 80% then 55%

so i dunno if i should drop it or not?

SpiralFlex

HSC
N/A
hey guys,

ive just got back my extension 1 paper it was the independent paper. i dont know if i should drop it or not?

i got 44/72

my first exam was 80% then 55%

so i dunno if i should drop it or not?
No. You should never drop a subject solely because of one shocking result from an exam. Are you finding it difficult to cope? If not then it's all part of the learning curve. The exam could have been hard for everyone too. What are your rankings?

tutorsaustblog

HSC
If it makes you feel any better, i actualy failed this same subject in the trials but ended up getting scaled quite high. Keep it and keep your chin up! Congratulations on passing!

Feel free to like visit our site and like our facebook page to keep in touch with the latest resources and tips available to you.

mike12345678

HSC
No. You should never drop a subject solely because of one shocking result from an exam. Are you finding it difficult to cope? If not then it's all part of the learning curve. The exam could have been hard for everyone too. What are your rankings?

lol i was the only person in my class that passed. i came 1/5 ranking.
i really understand all topics in 3u prelim but in the exam nothing seemed to pop out.

i did independent past papers aqnd found them pretty easy. its just this exam

slyhunter

Retired
HSC
i really understand all topics in 3u prelim but in the exam nothing seemed to pop out.

This pretty much means you shouldn't drop.

SpiralFlex

HSC
N/A

Then there's no reason to panic.

constant

Banned
HSC
N/A
I warned you idiot. Why didn't you get help mmmmm idiot?

SpiralFlex

HSC
N/A
but still getting an average of 65% for mx1...
is that good or bad?
and what mark will that get scaled to?
It's the ranking. You are in Year 11 anyway so just focus on coming within the top end of the spectrum.

constant

Banned
HSC
N/A
Spiril is a maths newb, he fails all the maths tests. Don't listen to him.

Gigacube

HSC
but still getting an average of 65% for mx1...
is that good or bad?
and what mark will that get scaled to?
Preliminary isn't an indication of how you will go in HSC. You have time to improve.

Your ranks mean more than your marks do. You can be getting 65% for each test in Maths Extension 1 at school but still end up with a band E4. Your internal marks don't count towards the HSC marks. Your ranks do matter and you're topping the class which is a really good thing.

constant

Banned
HSC
N/A
Preliminary isn't an indication of how you will go in HSC. You have time to improve.

Your ranks mean more than your marks do. You can be getting 65% for each test in Maths Extension 1 at school but still end up with a band E4. Your internal marks don't count towards the HSC marks. Your ranks do matter and you're topping the class which is a really good thing.
This is another newb as well. She is so shit, will prob end up dropping extension as well.

mirakon

nigga
HSC
to OP

JUST BELIEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEVE IN YOURSELF!!!

HSC
Hmm this places needs perm IP bans...

Anywho

I don't recommend you drop it. You should really keep your options open for as long as possible. Also you're coming 1st...which is a good indication. Maybe during the half yearlies you'll regret it a lot?

Its not a lot of work, so I think you should continue.

taeyang

HSC
Mate... do you understand how well mathematics extension scales? 2010, a band E4 (basically band 6) was 55/84 raw.

OldMathsGuy

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
The more obvious questions are:
- How are you going in 2 unit Mathematics? If you are going really well then that is a better indication that you should continue with Extension 1 than one poor extension 1 result. If you are not doing that well in 2 unit mathematics, then maybe you should look at the options available.
- Do you find actual Extension 1 material (not 2 unit stuff done early) difficult and time consuming? If you find that 1 unit of Extension work is distracting you from your other 10 or so units of subjects, then you may need to revise your program.
- Coming first in extension 1 does not mean very much in a small group of 5. 44/72 again means very little without having seen the actual test. If it was an easy paper then the poor result should give you the kick up the pants you need. Again, it comes down more to how you are going in 2 unit, and whether the 1 unit of extension maths is a big distraction from your other subjects.

At this stage though, you have a heap of time up the sleeve so I'd bear with it. However, perhaps you need to review some of the topics you know you are struggling with. If you need any help, post back and I'll give you a few specific pointers that may help out.

Best Regards
OldMathsGuy

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)