Karate (1 Viewer)

MicK11

HSC
hey i was just wondering do any of u ppl do karate by any chance, if you do what belt are you n how long have you've been doing it for.
thx!!!

Mutationis

Jun Ting Chau
HSC
i have been doing karate for about 10 years now and am on by brown belt with 2 black tips (next up is black belt). as for how to get into it, it all depends on where you live. i go to a club called Go-Kan-Ryu and they have many dojos all over Australia (and in the UK and USA too) so go to http://www.gkrkarate.com/ and use the training location thing. if you're in sydney, you'll have to take a look at all the different regions to find which one is in the closest suburb. after that phone or email the regional instructor (there's diff. ones for every region) expressing your interest and they'll take it from there. i don't want to sound like i'm advertising but GKR's a great club: friendly for all ages and an emphasis on respect & etiquette are the first things that come to mind. email me if you have any questions.

Mr.M

HSC
yeah GKR is a great way to get started in karate, its got great basics and if you are in a good region its also got good intstructors.

ive only been doing karate for 4 years, and im a 5th Kyu (there are ten) which is about half way to black. however i train at a small private Do Jo (school) with a sensei who was at GKR for 15 years. Nowadays however our club cross trains in various karate styles:

GKR has its foundations in Shotokan, the style that is predominant in mainland japan. Go-Juu, the "traditional" japanese karate. as my sensei has now gained black belts in both styles and incorporates techiques and Kata(those pattern dance things you see people do) into our curriculim

I have also trained in Go Shin Kan, very briefly, which is a school of Go Ju Kai, the founder of which lives in japan and is highly respected as one of the worlds greatest fighters. i didnt like this place because they had no sparring, although this school does have the most emphasis on spirituality and discipline which is good if that is what you are looking for. that is (the little to no sparring) purly due to the head instructor of the australian dojo's attitudes not that of the japanese people.

our school has some non-curriculim Na Ha te katas. this styles original founder passed the style through generation and generation and technicaly this is a dead style but there are some places that still use the patterns and some variant techniques of the styles into their regular curiculim and it is practised so that it will not die out.

Mei Bu Kan, is an Okinawan style which has much more emphasis on conditioning and fighting and is historically where karate emerged, I have a yellow belt in this style, and several of the higher grades also train in this style outside of our regular class. the instructor near us is a Seventh Dan and has been training nearly his whole 60+ years, so its a good place to learn.

i also train in Kobudo the weapons style of karate, and have a blue belt in One style of Okinawan kobudo, but due to inter-dojo politics, we have changed our Kobudo affiliation to Matayoshi, and i am once again a white belt.

ive also done some Tai Kwon Do and am currently doing boxing, but lets just stay on karate.

Mutationis, which region do you go to? how often do you train? do you instruct? do you find any flaws in GKR? just querieing that one to see if the problems in the GKR around me are just limited to one area or everywhere.

Mutationis

Jun Ting Chau
HSC
i am in region 1, i used to train at 2 senior classes per week and be a sempai (assistant instructor) in another but since this year i've only been instructing. from next week i'm just gonna train instead so i can at least get 1 class a week and keep my technique up. as with flaws.... i can't think of any pressing issues. the only thing i've noticed as a sempai would be that our regional instructor's a little slack on returning calls :p but nothing that really concerns the students. but even thought it's part of the same club, there's little things that vary from region to region and that may suit some more than others (eg. their emphasis on technique or etiquette...). which region did you train in?

Mr.M

HSC
to tell you the truth i dont know, i only went to two or three GKR lessons as i didnt have my liscense when i started and there were closer dojo's to me within walking distance.
the region i was in focused alot on point sparring, rather than "street fighting" and many of the black belts that left GKR with my sensei claimed that because of this their sparing was reduced to about 3 techniques, reverse punch, snap front kick, and round kick. is it the same where you are, and where does region one cover?

HinikuTheNinja

one helluva naughty ninja
HSC
Hey! I do GKR too - got my shodan-ho about three years ago. I was training over in region 3, where the head sensei is Alex Perada. Sadly, I have to leave GKR because I'm moving, and they don't offer any classes where I'm going *pout* We actually don't do a lot of point-sparring. Most of the time it was freeform. Our senior classes were pretty varied.

I'm joining up with Shukokai karate, in QLD. It's rather fun. But I'll miss GKR. Only because I've been doing it since I was 8. Almost ten years now.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)