Kanye West (1 Viewer)

Espo15

Banned
HSC
N/A
yeah, speeding up old classics chipmunk styles is way over played and boring.

belly_moo

burgur 'o5
HSC
can't wait til he releases bittersweet with john mayer :cool:

i heard the mtv vidand it had bittersweet playing in the bg
i want morreee

dza

Large Member
HSC
Kanye is def a sick producer. Loved his work with Dilated Peoples on This Way, one of the hottest beats ever if the hook was kinda annoying. A real asset to the Roc for his production.

Kanye the MC is ok, but I have to give him props for breaking out of the tired rapper mould, for example the Kanye workout track / video (kooky). Also he doesn't take it all too seriously, doesn't mind poking fun at himself (Through the Wire video, shows his friend mimicing him "without an arm I spit, without an arm I spit!")

ur_inner_child

.%$^!@&^#(*!?.%$^?!.
HSC
"Man I promise, she's so self conscious
She has no idea what she's doing in college
That major that she majored in don't make no money
But she won't drop out, her parents will look at her funny
Now, tell me that ain't insecurrre
The concept of school seems so securrre
Sophmore three yearrrs aint picked a careerrr
She like fuck it, I'll just stay down herre and do hair
Cause that's enough money to buy her a few pairs of new Airs
Cause her baby daddy don't really care
She's so precious with the peer pressure
Couldn't afford a car so she named her daughter Alexus (a Lexus)
She had hair so long that it looked like weave
Then she cut it all off now she look like Eve
And she be dealing with some issues that you can't believe
Single black female addicted to retail and well"

That verse and a few lines about college made me feel all sick inside, not that I feel like I'm wasting my time or anything

As if rap music ever does that to me. So I was pretty awestruck. I like his themes. They're so varied and with such substance compared to other mainstream rap.

And thank god for thoughtfull sampling/backing. Yes. Juxtaposition. Yes Yes YES. Not mindless irritating female RNB hook. Even Stronger was so different.

EDIT: I just realised that everyone loves the track I quoted :/

hiphophooray123

Twisted firestarter
HSC
politik said:
That's the thing about Kanye that I verbatim say all the time to acquaintances. He's so much more credible than most modern rappers out there - sure he does the occasional 'bitches and hoes' track, but for the most part he's better at this political thing than anyone else.

hahah dude

no

if you think kanye is a conscious rapper

start listening to lupe, common, talib kweli, nas (even though i know u already do), mos def, 'nature of the threat' by rass kass (but that's more of a history lesson i guess) but yeh theres much deeper content out there than kanyes.

bazookajoe

Shy Guy
HSC
politik said:
That's the thing about Kanye that I verbatim say all the time to acquaintances. He's so much more credible than most modern rappers out there - sure he does the occasional 'bitches and hoes' track, but for the most part he's better at this political thing than anyone else.
Kanye West believes that the government took so long to respond to the victims of hurricane katrina because most of the people affected were black, infamously saying that "George Bush doesn't care about black people." He also believes that the Reagan administration placed cocaine in ghettos, and that AIDS was created by the government as a form of population control.
Kanye is an awful example of political ideoligies in rap. Public Enemy are the best in this respect, no contest

CharlieB

?uestlove
HSC
bazookajoe said:
Kanye West believes that the government took so long to respond to the victims of hurricane katrina because most of the people affected were black, infamously saying that "George Bush doesn't care about black people."
That was pretty much the sentiment of the entire black community at the time. It made Kanye look like an idiot though ( it was all in the delivery)
bazookajoe said:
He also believes that the Reagan administration placed cocaine in ghettos, and that AIDS was created by the government as a form of population control.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AIDS_conspiracy_theories#Man-made_origin_of_AIDS

jus sayin
bazookajoe said:
Kanye is an awful example of political ideoligies in rap. Public Enemy are the best in this respect, no contest
They are also notorious for their anti-semitic views.

hiphophooray123

Twisted firestarter
HSC
politik said:
I add Wyclef Jean to our running tally of credible and respectable rappers.

oh man his latest album is awesome. the song with T.I is beautiful

and the hook he does for the unreleased T.I song 'shawty got a gun' is fkn awesome

fugees - score is one of the best albums ever

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)