Just how good are the tutors/academic advisors? (1 Viewer)

black.vw.beetle

HSC
I've been offered a place at Fenner Hall and I'm not 100% sure I wanna accept the offer... since I was hoping to get into Burton & Garran~ Anyway I just wanna ask a few questions to help me make up my mind...
Since Fenner is not on campus how convenient is it to travel to and fro?
How good are the so called tutors or academic advisors?? (do they conduct one on one sessions??)
How good is it when compared with the other halls?

Thanks guys (but please hurry - I've got 2 days left to make the decision)

Slidey

But pieces of what?
HSC
Are you sure you can even get into B&G anymore? It's a bit late.

Fenner has shuttle buses free of charge, I think.

joca187

HSC
I've got a couple of mates in Fenner, its bout 10 min bike ride from uni, free bus shuttle though. Room size ok. Self Service, have to buy your own food etc., most of the international students go there. But otherwise, decent rooms and car parking.

loquasagacious

NCAP Mooderator
HSC
I doubt you could get into B&G now anyway...

Fenner:
Travel: easy as. There is a free shuttle bus, there is an ACTION bus stop outside the front door and it is less than a ten minute ride (a mate of mine did it in three minutes flat).
Tutors/AAs: They are as good as you make them - it is a matter of choice to use them, etc. I didnt see any huge difference between the tutoring at B&G and Fenner last year (I was at Fenner my ex was at B&G).

As far as a comparison its all subjective. Farly it should only be directly compared to B&G - the only other self-catered hall (with the excpetion of Toad) and the pricing is similar.

The key differences between the two are:
For architechtural reasons the social hub of B&G is the main kitchen whereas at Fenner it is more centred in the kitchenettes. Because of this B&G has a greater 'whole-of-hall' ethos whereas Fenner has much tighter-nit floors. eg in generalised terms B&G is one big community, Fenner is 18 smaller tighter ones.
Fenner attracts more international students.
B&G has more of a 'party' atmosphere.
B&G is right on campuss so closer to the other halls and closer to the lecture theatres.
B&G is marginally larger population wise.
I believe by this year they will have completed the refurbishments at B&G.
Internet access is pretty much twice as much per kb at Fenner than B&G (note this excludes internal network which is unmetered).

Slidey

But pieces of what?
HSC
I thought it was half-catered?

loquasagacious

NCAP Mooderator
HSC
I think its Bruce Hall which offers various levels of catering.

neo o

it's coming to me...
HSC
loquasagacious said:
Internet access is pretty much twice as much per kb at Fenner than B&G (note this excludes internal network which is unmetered).
They've changed it so that all ANU owned colleges will have the same internet costs. Prices at Fenner will be lower next year and higher at Ursies, Bruce and B&G.

Last edited:

neo o

it's coming to me...
HSC
loquasagacious said:
About bloody time.
I'm on wireless, so I don't care either way. However you look at it, internet is stupidly expensive, and I'll be out of college by the end of the year because of it.

winicat

HSC
neo_o said:
I'm on wireless, so I don't care either way. However you look at it, internet is stupidly expensive, and I'll be out of college by the end of the year because of it.
there's a wireless net work at ANU??? sounds cheerin'!!

joca187

HSC
Wireless around campus is free, at ANU u get 80mb a day, so as to deter music/movie d/ls, college download on the network is free.

winicat

HSC
sorry to sound dumb, but is 80mb much? let's face it, as far as me and the internet go, i just use MSN and do a tiny bit of bumming around :p ... is that over 80mb?

am i better to just whack myself on wireless and do that than connect to Ursula's 7c/mb charge?

neo o

it's coming to me...
HSC
loquasagacious said:
Which wireless do you use?
I share an Iburst wireless connection with a few friends. Cherry, it doesn't cost too much when you share it, around $40-45 a month. There was a guy sharing a connection through the ANU network too for $20 a month, though it was pretty slow.

PS: This is different to the ANU wireless quota.

PPS: Winicat, if you just use MSN you should be fine.

loquasagacious

NCAP Mooderator
HSC
joca187 said:
Wireless around campus is free, at ANU u get 80mb a day, so as to deter music/movie d/ls, college download on the network is free.
My recollection was that it wasn't 80mb a day but rather 8mb (or thereabouts) per day which rolled over to a max of 80Mb.....

Even 8mb per day would shit over msn/email usage though.

Also if you're in a hall/college make friends with a later year IT/CompSci student and ask them to arrange it so that you can access your uni quota from your room. All it requires is a little port forwarding and you can now evade the exorbiant cost of the college internet by using your free quota.

Venusian

HSC
Does the anu wireless reach as far as the colleges?
I wonder if you can still use your quota from your room, cos i remember DoI changed somethingerother so that you no longer could.
Though i think its crap that you cant access it from your room, but then again its just lazyness not to head over to the computer labs

loquasagacious

NCAP Mooderator
HSC
It was my understanding that a relatively simple port-foreward enabled you to access you quota from your room..... they may have curbed this though.....

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)