Just another brick in the wall (1 Viewer)

calamity_jane

HSC
Here's something to ponder, do you feel like youth don't care about what's going on in the world as much as say 30 years ago? Do you believe that even if we do, our opinions are ignored by the government and so there is no point trying to change things (for examples protests to the war in Iraq and IR reforms were ignored)? Or maybe there is a lot going on out there I'm not aware of. Somebody please prove me wrong. These questions come for no particular reason. Just a line of thought to explore.

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
Back around Vietnam the protest movement was new and interesting, now it's old and stale and the left can't come up with a new way to create interest in their pathetic causes.

Dumsum

has a large Member;
HSC
The protests are ignored because the people protesting represent a huge minority.

yy

HSC
N/A
young people are apathetic to politics (or so the media says), and that's the reason politicians don't listen to us, because there's nothing to listen to.

answer your first question, yes, i think young people (at least most of those around me) doesn't care about politics at all. it's not a topic of conversation i hear discussed at school, quite frankly, most of them wouldn't care if they have a vote or not.

this may partially due to our education system. at all state schools, no advocacy is allowed, a friend and i wanted to start a group discussing some human rights issues (to look good for scholarship) and it was knocked down, because we're not allowed to do anything. apparently even if someone got home and wrote a letter to a politician as a result of our discussion at school, the school will be liable? (or so says the principal)

on a side note, an exoday was allowed where students got up stage and shouted "god loves you" and stuff like that... so preaching christianity is ok, but raising awareness of human rights issues around the world is not.

X

xeuyrawp

Nolanistic said:
Hey, we've got catchy chants with Swearwords.
I went to Fisher a couple of months ago and found myself in the middle of some Keep Left demonstration at the uni. They were chanting 'Johnny is a fascist cunt'.

If that doesn't say 'we don't deserve to be listened to', I don't know what does...

Serius

Beyond Godlike
HSC
calamity_jane said:
Here's something to ponder, do you feel like youth don't care about what's going on in the world as much as say 30 years ago? Do you believe that even if we do, our opinions are ignored by the government and so there is no point trying to change things (for examples protests to the war in Iraq and IR reforms were ignored)? Or maybe there is a lot going on out there I'm not aware of. Somebody please prove me wrong. These questions come for no particular reason. Just a line of thought to explore.
Why would i want to protest the war in Iraq? i support it. The IR reforms i am against, but they dont affect me all that much compared to how they affect say 40yr old labourers...so why should i protest? they should be protesting it. And in my future job its not really going to affect me so i cant be fucked. Poverty? yeah i care, but i care more about poverty in my own country than in some fucked up, self-inflicted shithole in the middle of Africa. A few things that i have felt strongly about in the past i have fired a letter off about... the best i ever got was a response along the lines of "we received your letter..do not contact us again"

Some youth have their opinions, just because most of my opinions arent left wing doesnt mean i cant argue effectively. The basics are that politicians dont really care what we think, the best we can do is sway a poll on A Current Affair.

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
PwarYuex said:
I went to Fisher a couple of months ago and found myself in the middle of some Keep Left demonstration at the uni. They were chanting 'Johnny is a fascist cunt'.

If that doesn't say 'we don't deserve to be listened to', I don't know what does...
Yeah, cos a liberalised workplace, freedom of association and putting industry out of government hands is fascist!

neo o

it's coming to me...
HSC
withoutaface said:
Yeah, cos a liberalised workplace, freedom of association and putting industry out of government hands is fascist!
What do you expect? Reason & logic aren't the weapons of the extreme left.

Not-That-Bright

Andrew Quah
HSC
Here's something to ponder, do you feel like youth don't care about what's going on in the world as much as say 30 years ago?
I think they care just as much and still know very little. They're still a bunch of whiney little misinformed tools, latching onto any conspiracy theory or ideology they can to be cool.

Do you believe that even if we do, our opinions are ignored by the government and so there is no point trying to change things (for examples protests to the war in Iraq and IR reforms were ignored)?
Why should the government listen to masses of uninformed youths that generally are the worst type of voters anyway. They change their party, they have little allegience, and they're often outspoken against anything in even their chosen party that they don't like.

So in short, the government CAN'T listen to the youth.

neo o

it's coming to me...
HSC
Not-That-Bright said:
Why should the government listen to masses of uninformed youths that generally are the worst type of voters anyway. They change their party, they have little allegience, and they're often outspoken against anything in even their chosen party that they don't like.

So in short, the government CAN'T listen to the youth.
Now you're just making the youth sound like female voters.

yy

HSC
N/A
ntb said:
They change their party, they have little allegience
i thought they're the type that they actually care about? like marginal seats, so they would listen to them more

Generator

HSC
N/A
yy said:
i thought they're the type that they actually care about? like marginal seats, so they would listen to them more
You're thinking of the swinging voters who actually have some money, a mortgage and kids.

Last edited:

poloktim

\(^o^)/
HSC
withoutaface said:
Back around Vietnam the protest movement was new and interesting, now it's old and stale and the left can't come up with a new way to create interest in their pathetic causes.
Objective as always.

Possibly the reason why the government "doesn't listen to the youth" of Australia is because there are a lot more baby boomers. If they appeal to the baby boomers, the baby boomers will vote for them.

Oddy Nocki

HSC
N/A
calamity_jane said:
No not really. The Govt. never cared. It still doesn't care. The main reason.

Youth are basically retards. They don't know shit. They aren't informed enough nor do they have enough maturity to look at shit in an all encompassing view. Mostly it's just "everyone can hold hands" That isn't how the world works. 99% of the population are stupid. Youth don't effect shit. DEAL.

malkin86

HSC
poloktim said:
Objective as always.

Possibly the reason why the government "doesn't listen to the youth" of Australia is because there are a lot more baby boomers. If they appeal to the baby boomers, the baby boomers will vote for them.
In addition to which, 30 years ago, the baby boomers *were* 'the youth'. There were a lot more of them 30 years ago, than there are of us now.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)