• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Julius Caesar, conflicting perspectives (1 Viewer)

em-inent

nerd
HSC
We're doing Julius Caesar for Module C in my school, and I was just wondering how people are structuring their essays?

eg. Intro
Paragraph 1 (first point)
- Julius Caesar
- Related Text

Paragraph 2 (second point)
- JC
- RT

...etc.

How many paragraphs do you use?
And also, what kind of points can be drawn out of Julius Caesar? Do you focus on characters, or on themes, or what?
This is my hardest one to try and get a strong thesis down for!

strawberrye

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
One piece of advice-never integrate two text into the same paragraph for ANY MODULE-it means disaster. For my conflicting perspective essay, I usually had four paragraphs, two or three main ideas, so paragraph 1-idea 1, text 1, paragraph 1-idea 1, text 2, and replicated it for paragraph 2-the structure that is. The kinds of points drawn out for Julius Caesar will depend on what related text you used. ALWAYS REFER back to the module rubric and the ESSAY QUESTION when you are in doubt. For example, think critically about what is the purpose of presenting conflicting perspectives in relation to the polarised portrayal of personalities/events/situations. For example, within Julius Caesar, we have got the conflicting portrayal of Brutus as either a royal politician or a treacherous traitor-but Anthony's eulogy of Brutus as "The noblest Roman of them all" compels responders to adopt the view that Brutus is a royal and loyal individual.

Purpose of conflicting perspectives is so varied, e.g. conflicting perspectives on significant personalities can compel us to consider real individuals have both good and evil qualities, and hence come to realise that humanity is an amalgamation of good and evil, conflicting perspectives on an event can compel us to consider what is the real 'truth' about an event-and thus paradoxically, by considering and evaluating the validity of conflicting subjective, sometimes biased viewpoints-we can achieve a more objective understanding of the truth, always think about conflicting perspectives in terms of a disparity between the representation and interpretation process.

These are just some ideas to get you started. But at the end of the day, your pertinent task is to ANSWER the question and nothing but the question. Good luck:)

em-inent

nerd
HSC
These are just some ideas to get you started. But at the end of the day, your pertinent task is to ANSWER the question and nothing but the question. Good luck:)
Thankyou! That's helpful. :) I guess when I'm preparing for exams, I like to set up quote scaffolds; I'll have headings, like "Characters" and then list quotes, techniques and effects for the conflicting perspectives on characters. This works best for Module B, in which I do the Non-fiction Speeches, but it allows me to have a very general outline (eg. people, places, events, situations) and then quotes to back those general points up, so I can learn my quotes and adapt it to whatever question I come across. Do you have any suggestions to improve that?

obliviousninja

(╯°□°)╯━︵ ┻━┻ - - - -
HSC
Uni Grad
I did 6 bodies (JC followed by related) with 3 main ideas that followed the core paradigms of my thesis which embody the rubic.

obliviousninja

(╯°□°)╯━︵ ┻━┻ - - - -
HSC
Uni Grad
People places events and sitations is a poor way to structure the essay in my opinion because there may be an essay question that can easily stump you.

obliviousninja

(╯°□°)╯━︵ ┻━┻ - - - -
HSC
Uni Grad
I did not structure by theme, as the question can also specify this theme, which makes the majority of the rest of the essay redundant or hard to mould.

BLIT2014

The pessimistic optimist.
HSC
Uni Grad
I'd do 4 separate paragraphs

2 for prescribed

1-2 for related texts ( If they specify more then 1 related)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)