• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Juliet Marillier - The Sevenwater Trilogy (1 Viewer)

Sphyx

Asphyxiated
HSC
i read these books when i was in year 9 about.....oh 4 times in a row? no joke

has anyone else read these books? i found that the characterisation was incredible, esp of the leading character, the story line was splendid and really really powerful.

basically set in 14th (or somewhere round that) Ireland, and the book brings to life the fairtale of the 7 brothers and 1 sister, and the brothers get turned into swans by evil stepmother, and it is up to the sister to save them by weaving shirts from a material similar to nettle.

i highly highly recommend these books, they are incredible.

glitter burns

the sky is falling
HSC
Yeah, I read these books a few years ago.
They were good, but I found that in the first two books the lead female characters (Sorcha and Liadan) were very similar, it was only in the third book that the lead female (Fainne) was unique.
That's really my only criticism, though, overall they were good, interesting and not as predictable as some fantasy can be.

table for 1

dreaming... sigh...
HSC
N/A
both of my close cousins have read it and say that it's really reeeaaalllly good. so, i bought the books [since i prefer to buy than borrow, i'm just weird like that], but haven't bothered to read it yet. i couldn;t find them anywhere ! i had to order them from a book club solely for that [well, and also for the introductory offer]

misdei

HSC
yeah. i read it a few years back and loved it.

but i never got to read the third book... couldn't find it ANYWHERE.

table for 1

dreaming... sigh...
HSC
N/A
i know for a fact that strathfield library [not the main one in homebush, but the one near that primary school... strathfield south public i think?] has it, cos thats where my cousin borrowed it from

Sphyx

Asphyxiated
HSC
table for 1 said:
but haven't bothered to read it yet.
Read them now!!! You will not regret it, i promise you! I have yet to meet anyone in life or on the Internet, who hasnt loved these books to death, mainly because of the characters.

table for 1

dreaming... sigh...
HSC
N/A
Sphyx said:
Read them now!!! You will not regret it, i promise you! I have yet to meet anyone in life or on the Internet, who hasnt loved these books to death, mainly because of the characters.
i can't be bothered.... i'm too lazy !! see, if i read them, i want to be able to read them all straight after the other. [which is why i find waiting for the next instalment of any series really annoying] and right now, i can't be bothered spending so much time reading.

Enlightened_One

King of Bullshit
HSC
Yeah I read them. My sister left the first one lying around and I was bored.

Turned out to be a good idea. The characters are very real and you can sort of feel for them.

Sorcha and Liadin were similiar. Fainne was so different, even her speech was different, you know the expressions and all that.

Pity when Sorcha died.

The only loose thread, which might be tied up in her future novel on Viking society, was Padriach. He went off over the seas remember.

All the other brothers were accounted for at the festival where Fainne burned that place down and killed those people.

table for 1

dreaming... sigh...
HSC
N/A
no ....!!!! you're spoiling it for me.... !!

meh...i'll probably forget what you said before i read it

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)