Journalism electives? (1 Viewer)

aquarian_jen

HSC
N/A
Hello, I am confused about the BA Communications (Journalism) degree, because I am getting two different stories about what the electives can be.
I went to the UTS website and was looking up journalism and it seems that the electives can only be taken from journalist type electives (eg. 'Communications and Audience') but other people online are saying they can be taken from other faculties or even other universities. I am interested in taking German and/or English lit. as electives, is that possible?

And then, I have also been looking at Journalism + Int Studies, and that looks interesting but does it mean that I HAVE to spend a year overseas? Or is it optional?

And lastly, I also really want to study English as a subject, because I'd like to have the opportunity to be an English teacher in the future. If I did the BA Communications (Journalism), is there any way I'd end up qualified to do teaching in English? Or would I have to go back to uni and do an arts degree and then a dip ed?

And then also (and to really finish) would a BA (Media and Communications) at Syd Uni be better suited for me? Or will it limit my ability to enter journalism in that the UTS course looks more specified and I wonder what the employers would prefer?

Thank you!!!! (and yes, I'm very confused!)

ahen

Sexy Member
HSC
gosh i have the exact same questions as you :)
tho the usyd degree had a really high cut off last year, did you get like 99 or something?

ahen

Sexy Member
HSC
according to the people i spoke to yesterday you can take electives from communications, some electives from other faculties and it is possible to do stuff from other unis (so i've read) but dont hold me on that last one

aquarian_jen

HSC
N/A
I did well, which was sort of annoying because it meant I had to actually debate between the two courses since Sydney became a possibility, which really just meant more confusion!

But yes, thank you for the reply! And I also went to the day, and asked around about the electives but I found the people to be kind of vague, like 'yeah you should be able to... I think?' so I think I got the same responses as you? And have you chosen UTS or Usyd?

Last edited:

ital101

HSC
Of course you can't take electives at other Unis. You'd have to take a separate degree. And you CAN study a language with Journalism, e.g. German for you:

BA in Communication (Journalism) and in International Studies (Germany)

It's probably too late for you now, unless you renrol for 2009...
Buona fortuna! :D

kami

An iron homily
HSC
N/A
ital101 said:
Of course you can't take electives at other Unis. You'd have to take a separate degree. And you CAN study a language with Journalism, e.g. German for you:

BA in Communication (Journalism) and in International Studies (Germany)

It's probably too late for you now, unless you renrol for 2009...
Buona fortuna! :D
Um, you definitely can take electives at other universities without taking a separate degree. I can assure you that it's doable, and easy, since I have done it in my BA in Communications. It's a brilliant opportunity which most new students convince themselves is not possible because they never try to find out and simply assume instead - something you see pretty much everyone do until they hit second year.

Last edited:

ital101

HSC
Um, you definitely can take electives at other universities without taking a separate degree. I can assure you that it's doable, and easy, since I have done it in my BA in Communications. It's a brilliant opportunity which most new students convince themselves is not possible because they never try to find out and simply assume instead - something you see pretty much everyone do until they hit second year.
Mi dispiace molto. Soz!! :)

by the way, soz bout the bump...:devil:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)