journalism?! at UTS?? (1 Viewer)

bunnyhater

kay, well im a visual communications student, currently hating my course....lol, thats a bit harsh i know, but it was never the course for me.
Neways....what i do wanna know is what do journalism students at UTS think about the course, can u give me a brief lowdown on the course, wot its like, good, bad, u get the gyst?
thanks soo much i reeeeally appreciate it.

braindrainedAsh

Journalist
HSC
I do journalism, and I like it, but some people hate it.

To like journo u will have to really like researching things, interviewing people, and writing. You have to get out there interviewing people and getting stories from day one.

You also have to do all these compulsory subjects in first year which many people hate.

Unless u really want to be a journalist u may not like it

But its good. Its the best journalism course in the country apparently.

impulse_17

HSC
hey i'm interested in journalism at UTS too... i was wondering what the "compulsory subjects" that you have to do are all about? like what sort of stuff do you learn in them and why do people hate them?

braindrainedAsh

Journalist
HSC
People hate them for a few reasons:
1. Because they are compulsory
2. For majors like MAP they don't have much relevance
3. Some people have no interest in them

The compulsory subjects are Communication and Information Environments (sem 1) and Media Information and Society (sem 2)... (both of these are media studies subjects.. CIE is easy and kinda obvious, MIS is alright I find, you do all this philosophy and sociology stuff)... contemporary cultures 1 & 2 (which is analyzing culture and stuff.... in some ways a little bit like HSC English but harder and more abstract).... Power and Change in Australia and Colonialism and Modernity (they are kind of history/sociology/social science type stuff)....

Don't let the compulsory subjects put you off, they aren't that bad.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)